• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-280 Shelter to camper Rebuild

Troll1216

As the teardown progresses there will be "adjustments" to my master plan...

So far, I had to get rid of a full size bottom bunk in favor for a standard cot size, enlarge the bathroom by 1 inch, move the safe......... all cause I wanted a window.......

Oh, back to floors.... I will put a heavy roofing paper down again, then a 1/2 or 3/4 ply with a 1/4 or thinner laminate floor (sold in 4x8 sheets).

The insulation will be foam board (also sold in sheets) with a vapor barrier on the inside. Spray foam where I can't cut pieces to fit.

I will let my buddy who does aluminium boat builds (from the keel up - I think airboats have them) see what I need to do.

I will be adding a full R/V power system complete with tv, radio, phone, internet, lights, 12/120v converter, battery bank, etc...

I am not doing any black water tanks, porta-potti only. Grey water will be internal to the S-280 along with fresh water. NO OUTSIDE TANKS, I want to be able to drop this thing and leave it if I want, and have it be fully functional.

The window will be going in the side I have skinned already. I was bored, so I taped it out tonight, too dark for photos. Working mids is a drag sometimes, no power tools while I'm awake.... but everyone else can use them when I'm sleeping......

SasquatchSanta

Looks like a great project Troll1216[thumbzup]

Not to hijack this thread but as I was reading I couldn't help but wonder how hard it would to modify an S280 shelter so it would fit in an M105 trailer bed on a bobbed deuce.

It seems to me, if you carefully cut away approx 36" of the lower part of the front of the shelter so it would fit in the 9ft M105 bed but left the tip part of the shelter intact so it would hang out over the top of the bobbed deuce cab you would end up with a camper for a bobber. It would have an entended boot over the top of the cab for a 36" bed. The finished product would look like most slide-in pickup campers with the bed up over the cab. It would require coming up with some extra molding.

Just thinking out loud.:cookoo:

What's the going rate for for M280 shelters?

Keep up the good work.:drool:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You sure you don't want me to come over and sitt that thing in the driveway? Climbing in must be getting old.

Troll1216

Sasquatchsanta I believe the S-250 might be better suited.
as the S-280 is only 6 foot tall on the inside, not really the room for a bunk, thats why I had to get rid of the second bed in order to make room for the fresh water tank.

S-250 - Rugged, Truck Mounted Military Shelter

The diagram on the next page gives measurements.

Recovry4x4, the difficulty of getting in keeps me in shape...... Round is a shape right?

I need to keep it mobile for a bit longer. After the window is cut I think the weight of items added means I might be stuck with a roll back removal, but I will have my airboat guy look at the inside. We are going to frame the window in metal to keep the flex down. After I get it gutted you need to stop by and give it a good look.

Attachments

Last edited:

Troll1216

I finally got a chance to get a photo of the outline of the window inside. This will be along the right wall as you walk in. It is roughed out so I can get some measurements before I cut....

Attachments

Troll1216

I am using the orange paint to mark the holes so they can be plugged. I am working on a down and dirty meathod to plug the holes, I'm not building a rocket here, I'm building a rugged camper....

Here is what I'm thinkin.........

A short bolt, a washer and a mess of silicone, then through the hole, then more silicone and a washer with a lock nut... I'll keep you posted on this repair method.

1stSarge

We removed Kipmans by pulling it out with the tractor, and then pulling it down from the top two lift points. Cantilevering it up off of the bed. It can be inserted the same way. Keep in mind though, it was empty.

I suppose the same thing could be done with a second truck with a wench, maybe using a snatch block or even a heavy come-a-long attached to something low.

Attachments

NEIOWA

Yesterday I picked up 2x S280 Print Shop shelters (part 1 and part 2) at Great Lakes. Have 3 more to PU. Near new unused conditiion. These are going to become pad mounted radio repeater shacks for County 911 system. Will be stripping the interior.

Among other surplus are aluminum boarding ladders and SS "kitchenette" sink drawer units. Some nice GI metal cabinet drawer units (with draw travel locks) and 3x rifle racks. I'll post some photos. Have not decided on how to dispose of.

Troll1216

Sorry for the long delay guys, having projects sitting drives me nuts....

On father's Day I was struck by a car while directing traffic on foot around a crash scene. Got clipped by a guy driving a Nissan Titan (possibly alcohol or narcotics involved). He got my foot with the driver front tire, left hand and wrist with his brush guard, and took out his mirror with my chest. FORTUNATELY nothing broken. My thumb in particular on my left hand (strong side) still hurts alot, my toes were black and blue, and I had the imprint of my SAPI plate on my chest, I figure he was doing at least 35 when he hit me.

I had to take it easy for a bit while I was on light duty, but I am back to work, and probably 80% strength. My wrist and hand still are in constant pain, but everything else appears good. I got very, very lucky, I hat too friends killed a few years ago like this.

I did manage to pick up a rivet gun and plan on trying my hand on a sheet metal repair or two as well as finish the teardown of the interior. Not too much left to go, just need to remove the safe, and take apart the window carefully as I want to reuse it.

I will be posting pictures all the way of course, and hopefully I will get the window cut soon. I am looking forward to the rest of the build and have enlisted the help of another friend who is a cabinet maker by trade to help with the interior.

The only thing holding me up is the $$$, I'm on a low to no buget :-( for this one, so it will be a bit at a time.

RAYZER

Yesterday I picked up 2x S280 Print Shop shelters (part 1 and part 2) at Great Lakes. Have 3 more to PU. Near new unused conditiion. These are going to become pad mounted radio repeater shacks for County 911 system. Will be stripping the interior.

Among other surplus are aluminum boarding ladders and SS "kitchenette" sink drawer units. Some nice GI metal cabinet drawer units (with draw travel locks) and 3x rifle racks. I'll post some photos. Have not decided on how to dispose of.
I would like to see what the sink/drawer units look like!

Troll1216

I found it on steel soldiers of course...

I know the project has been sitting for quite some time, but I had quite a few changes in my life. I also needed to do some work on my deuce to get it parade ready.

Now that the weather is cool and since I got it mostly cleaned out from being a storage locker, I will get back into full swing by January when my brother and I return to the same days off. We should be able to finish it in short order, at least the completion of the demo and waterproofing. Demo is actually 90% done now, so once that is done we will work the floor plan and then rough framing. Then we will run the wires and insulate.

We decided to do solar pannels on the roof along with most likely a RV air conditioner. Batteries for the solar system will most likely be golf cart type.

I look forward to keep you all posted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks