• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-718 or M-715 What is it ?

HatAttacks

Hi, I was wondering if some one can tell me what the different is from M-718 and a M-715
I just purchased Jeep Kaiser from my local fire department for $800. I think this was a good deal? Not running at this time but was when it was taken off the road about 6 years ago. Everything looks to be in good shape body is solid but floor boards need to be fixed and need a new canvas top. Anyways with the Shipment paper work it says it is a 1974 Jeep Kaiser M-718 Model. I have been looking for info on it but all I can find is M-715. Is this the same Jeep and can you use the same parts as the M-715. If so from what year jeeps can I get parts from.

Thanks
HatAttacks

HatAttacks

It looks just like the M-715 .So what is different from the M-715 and the M-718 ambulance version?

HatAttacks

FrankUSMC

I would bet it is a M715, and the paper work is wrong. Very commom mistake. I would not get that upset about it. If the fire department can, have them re-do the paper work. Show them the photos of a M715. Maybe, on the data plate it has been painted over or damaged and the 5 looks like an 8. Also, the year is off for a M715, again, find out were they came up with the year from? Could be a rebuild data plate they got it off of, or again just hard to read data plates.
The last truck I got from GSA had it as a 1983, and it was a 1966 model, a very commom mistake was made, they got the year off the rebuild plate. easy fix.
Good luck with your truck, and thanks for saving our history.
One of the few, Frank USMC Ret.

FrankUSMC

Sorry, forgot to answer your last quiston. The M715 and the M718 are as different as night and day. One is a good size 1 1/4 ton truck and the other is a small little M151 jeep that has had an ambulance "kit" added to it. You might even be able to put a M718 in the bed of a M715.
One of the few, Frank USMC Ret.

difference?

Sorry to say, in your case, it's probably a typographical error. The data plate with the serial number should be on the dash or glovebox door, telling you what the model of the truck is (unless the FD had to put a bracket for something there.

OR---OR they had both the M718 (which is a few inches longer than the standard M151 MUTT (jeep) and gave you the wrong paperwork! One of our local FDs had the M718, but it disappeared a few years back.

The ambulance version of the Kaiser-Jeep 1 1/4 T is the M25. Looks like this:

Attachments

EastCoastKaiser

RE: difference?

Yup, definately a typo. If its an M715 then it should look like my avatar picture over on the left. Should also be a 1967-1969. Post some pictures. Be sure to check out the m715zone too but they're in the process of an overhaul.

HatAttacks

I think the paper work is wrong after looking at the post reply. The plate is missing from the dash. So I can not get the correct info. The info came off of a card and the organization is N.C.A.D. don't know what that stands for but everything is written in ink on the bottom of the card it has a date of printed 1967 # 238-871 What I'm starting to think is this card is a service card from when the truck was serviced by the Government back in May of 1974 and the fire department must have purchased it used and this is how the got the wrong info on the jeep. to top it all off I just found an old letter from the town Manager explaining that they had no idea where the jeep was purchased and had to send a copy of the letter to the D.M.V. so they can register it. So Now I ask Is there any other way to find out the year of the jeep. If not thats ok Im very happy with the jeep cant wait to get it running :D

Thanks all
HatAttacks

67Beast

If it is a M715, they were only produced between 1967 thru 1969 so it has to fall in those years. If the data plates are gone, then you can look for the serial # stamped into the frame in 2 locations. On the passenger side top of the frame rail right above the rear axle, or on the pass. side top of the frame rail at the front between the shock tower and the angled support bracket. Be aware though that most of the times these are hard to find due to layers of paint and crud. Once the vin is established it can be compared to the vin registry over at the M715zone.com to determine where it falls in the time line. Also things like the type of air cleaner and turn signal distribution box can help determine the year. The greatest number of 715s were produced in 67' which was the first year of the contract. Here is a pic of my M715 to help show you what one looks like.

EastCoastKaiser

Dave summed it up well above. If you have a typical 1960-70's looking air cleaner on the carb, most likely its 1967. If you have a hood mounted canister air cleaner then most likely its a 1969. 1968 could be either way. Of course there's always exceptions to the rule as I've seen supposively stock unaltered 67's with the hood cansiter.
I was unable to find the vin numbers on the frame on two out of three of my trucks so good luck. Fortunately they all had data plates. You can order order new data plates from several sources.

HatAttacks

Ok I have found the Stamped # on the frame. It is a 5 digit # is the the correct one ? the web site to check the # is not . anyone know another web site I can check the # I have.

Thanks Hatattacks

EastCoastKaiser

The website is www.m715zone.com but unfortunately its down right now. There is a temporary site up and running but does not have the vin registry. If you want to divulge the first couple digits I can compare it to mine. Also, are there any military marking left on the truck at all? If your hood number starts with a 3F its 1967.

sermis

Go over to www.M715zone.com and give Brute4c the number stamped on the frame. He should be able to tell what year and possiable even the month. He has been collecting vin's for this reason.

HatAttacks

I picked it up at a town auction. I was told it ran before it was parked. Frame looks great and body as well. Don’t know much about them but I can’t wait to get the jeep running . I did try to start it but no luck it turns over and the Carb gets gas but no luck. But I have been reading and I was wondering. What is a Switch Floor Starter I seen a picture of one and I do have one on the floor of the jeep but it is stuck. Do I need this to get the truck started?

HatAttacks

67Beast

Yep, looks like a 67' from the relay box. it could of had the special desert filter added to it while in service. The desert filter kit looked very similar to the canister filter that became standard on the later versions. But judging by the relay box it's a 67'.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks