• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-718 or M-715 What is it ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a 68 with the hood mounted air cleanier ( or at least the bracket) and that style turn signal box. I know almost nothing about 715s.

EastCoastKaiser

What is a Switch Floor Starter I seen a picture of one and I do have one on the floor of the jeep but it is stuck. Do I need this to get the truck started?
In a stock truck, power comes right from the batts to the foot starter switch then from there to the starter. There is no key switch or switch on the dash to engage the starter. You should have a single lever switch on the dash to get power to the distributor/coil/etc. Its common for Fire Depts to put in a key switch, especially if they converted it from 24V to 12V.

HatAttacks

EastCoastKaiser, you are correct about the jeep having a key switch. The fire department must have changed it. I do have a switch on the dash, once the switch is turned on a red light lights up on my turn signal. Then I can turn the key and the truck turns over. No luck at staring. I was thinking of replacing the coil first. Then replace the distributor. Unless someone else has a better suggestion. Please let me know

HatAttacks

EastCoastKaiser

I'm assuming its still 24volts and has the military water proof ignition. If so the spark plug wires will thread onto the spark plugs. Your coil is located inside the distributor. I'd start checking to see if you have spark first before replacing anything. Remove a plug. Attach it to the plug wire and ground the body to the block. Crank it over and make sure you have clean spark. There's a good chance you'll need points and condensor but before you start replacing stuff make sure its electrical and not fuel.
If its been converted it may have a 12 volt civilian distributor and standard style wires and plugs. Common conversion for the FD since its much cheaper and easier to service. Just wait until you have to fork over the dough for the military plugs and wires for the first time. They're expensive to say the least. If its converted the whole truck may be 12volts or sometimes the truck is left 24volt and a tap runs off one battery to get 12volts to power lights, coil/distributor, and radios.

HatAttacks

EastCoastKaiser, after reading your reply I check over the jeep. it looks as I do have the military water proof ignition. the spark plug wires thread onto the spark plugs. So I think it must be 24volt and a tap runs off the battery like you said to get 12volts to power lights, coil/distributor, and radios. So Im going to try to see if I get spark. I did noticed a drain plug under the gas tank so Im going to drain out the tank. So I hope to put fresh gas in the tank with some dry gas. then check spark. do I need a spaciel tool to take the wire plug off? hard to get at.

Thanks
HatAttacks

oilcan

You don't need a special tool to get the wires off, but it sure makes life easier. Just find a nice long deep well socket (3/4" if I remember right) and chop one side out so it'll go over the wire without bending it up too much. As a bonus, the same socket will pull the spark plugs, too.

EastCoastKaiser

Yup, plug wires are fun. There is a special military tool but I took the same route as oilcan.

Don't be suprised if there isn't a ton of crud in the tank. Pretty common for these and its tough to clean out because of a baffle. I never could get mine completely cleaned out. You may want to get an aftermarket spin on fuel filter (kinda looks like an oil filter) and install it right at the tank.

HatAttacks

sermis, Brute4c at www.M715zone.com got some info for me. It looks to be a delivery date of 12/68 So we know know it a 68 M715. Just want to give a big thanks to Brute4c and every body that post a reply. You all been a big help . Now its time to get it running :p

HatAttacks

HatAttacks

Hi jodka, I'm in a small town called Wells southern Maine right on the Ocean but I'm in the woods. Just moved up this way myself about 4 years ago. I'm a City boy who gone country. Now I'm just trying to live a simple Life 8)

HatAttacks

12 volts or 24 volts

Looks as I still have 24volts because it has the military water proof ignition and the spark plug wires thread onto the spark plugs . if it is 12volts and the truck is left 24volt and a tap runs off the battery to get 12volts to power lights, coil/distributor, and radios. Do I still need a 24 volts battery to get the truck to start. It turns over when I use a 12 volt? So I think it has been converted to 12 Volt.

Thanks
HatAttacks

5quarter

my fuel tank was easy to drain.... i peeled off the drain plug when one of thetrailers loading ramps unhooked whilst rollin off the trailer :oops: so i tore off what was left threaded the sheetmetal for a 1/2" npt and epoxied it in : - ). ive done a bunch of research and its not advisable to tap off the 24v system to get 12v it basically destroys the batteries. i just bought an 24v/12v 10 amp converter off ebay and thats enough to run any accesories ( radio Heater fan etc.) for $50 which is a bargain cuz most of them run over $150 EASY

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hat, you use 2 12 volt batteries wired in series to get 24 volts.

HatAttacks

Thanks clinto. Think this is one of the reason why the jeep may not start because Im useing one 12 volts battery

HatAttacks

oilcan

Just in case you don't know...

Run the (+) cable coming from under the truck to the (+) terminal on battery #1.
Find a short cable to go from the (-) terminal on battery #1 to the (+) terminal on battery #2.
Stick the (-) cable grounded on the truck frame on the (-) terminal on battery #2.

That'll get you 24 volts.

If you feel like you need lots of 12v power, add a second alternator and a third battery for dual-voltage. It complicates things up pretty good, though.

HatAttacks

should I change my plugs and wires and distributor

should I change my plugs and wires and distributor? I still have the military water proof ignition. and the spark plug wires thread onto the spark plugs. I did not see the coil inside the distributor. I have found some wires tape together and wires coming out of the top of the water proof distributor cap that runs to what I think is a 12v coil installed on my inside fender. I still having issue trying to start the jeep. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them. looks like the carburetor is getting gas and I have drained the gas tank and have added fresh gas . but I don't think I'm getting spark. I was thinking it was a battery issue and that I should be using 24v not 12v but I think it is converted to 12v so I don't thing the battery is the issue. what should I replace first. I was thinking I should take the military stock wire and plugs out and put in standard wires and plugs and add a new 12v coil. But do I need a new distributor If I want to changed everything over. Oh ya this is my first jeep and I'm not much of an Mechanic but I have some tools :lol:

HatAttacks

sermis

RE: should I change my plugs and wires and distributor

If every thing else is 24V I would leave it and convert back. I converted my M725 to 12V but I also swaped in a 350. Wish now I would have left it 24V. Only a few more $$ to get a 24V alt and starter. I had a wire issue last weekend. Lots of smoke under the dash and a little flame. Elect fuel pump wire but I had jumped it from some of the stock wires, wrong I know.

EastCoastKaiser

You never know what they my have done. You can convert a 24V military distributor to a 12V. You can swap out the guts but if they used a conventional 12V coil, it will be too large to fit in the distributer. So there are several holes available (an access plug for test instrumnets, two ventilation line holes, and a drain plug) in the body that can be use to run the coil wires to an external coil. Not a good set-up becuase now you need to get the high voltage output from the coil to the ditributor. Your much better off pulling the distributer and putting in a 12V civilian one. You get the added benefit of cheap plugs and wires. But now you need to address the alternater and starter. If you want to PM me your email address I can email you the manual that covers the ignition. Calls out all the parts, how it works, and how to troubleshoot it.

EastCoastKaiser

Also, if you want to keep it stock 24V (my preference) AB Linn usually has complete remanufactured units ready to drop in for reasonable money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks