• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-718 or M-715 What is it ?

Wolf.Dose

The mentioned problems read as a non cared and served engine. Low oil pressuire at idle (evrything below 10 PSI for sure means a dead oil pump or, even worse, dead crankshaft bearings. The described noise fits for dead crankshaft bearings.
Backfireing usually is a problem of poor timig. Two reasons: 1.: idle timing is less than 6° btdc (before top dead centre); 2.: the timing advance in the distributer is rotten, means wears a brown rost coat. Take out, clean, derust, regrease, reassemble, set timing propperly!
If the engine is an Army rebuilt, take out, strip, fit all bearings new and reassemble. In the 70's the Army mechanics were not the most qualified ones.
For our applications as a military vehicle collector the civilian air filter is good enough. If you want to dig the mud and water deeper than 2' use the deep fording kit. Even the later under hood air filter is not realy the match for deep fording.
The igniton coil in the distributer is the sams as in the M151 Mutt or Reo gas engine vehicles. So it should bee available. Or you have to use the civilian distributer, which is 12V. But than the starter will not crank very well to start the engine..
Generally, for the desriped condition, the best will be to replace the whole electric. 12V bulbs and head lamp inserts are cheep.
I twice rebuild my M715 (your fotos clearly show a M715).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks