• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Pan Gasket or RTV?

cjkeeliii

The TM says that if my CUCV is a late 1985 model that the oil pan will not have a lip and that RTV should be used. Mine is late '85 and has a completely flat lip. O'Reilly's 6.2 diesel oil pan gasket set has a gasket that fits across the entire width of the oil pan lip, hence the newer style oil pan. In other words, it's not the early gasket that the TM shows which appears to only fit across a portion of the oil pan lip. So, should I use this gasket, or RTV? Thanks.

USAWEAPON777

I had the same question and decided to use the rtv on my 86. It had a completely flat lip as well. As long as you take extra care not to wipe rtv off anywhere during install rtv will work. I did mine a couple months ago and not a drip since.

Mohawk Dave

My two pennies: I've had gaskets fail more often than RTV. I carry RTV in the oh9, and we use it all the time for just about everything.

Good luck,

Dave

Jersey4x4

If there is a Fel-Pro gasket made for it, use a gasket. I have an 85 and had various others in the early and later years and always used a gasket and never had an issue. I will say, if you are pulling the pan, change the rear main seal at the same time. FTV Has its place but it is not for oil pans or anywhere near an oil pump. A little too much and it clogs up the screen and the engine is done just because you did not want to get a 12.00 gasket. When you use the Fel-Pro gasket the oil pan bolts hold it in place and it is right on the money when you install it.

cucvrus

I said this before. I am not sure if Permatex The Right Stuff is in the RTV class. But that is the right stuff. I have used it for years and with out fail. welpro222 has it right it must be clean and clean. No sealer will work if the surface is not clean. Getting a good seal is 95% cleaning the surface and the rest is the right gasket and sealer. I get it in the caulk gun size tubes. It will not harden in the tube and it does not seem to be affected by weather in my barn. Winter or summer it still lasts. Good luck and give it a try. I think you will be pleased.

corvette9

I said this before. I am not sure if Permatex The Right Stuff is in the RTV class. But that is the right stuff. I have used it for years and with out fail. welpro222 has it right it must be clean and clean. No sealer will work if the surface is not clean. Getting a good seal is 95% cleaning the surface and the rest is the right gasket and sealer. I get it in the caulk gun size tubes. It will not harden in the tube and it does not seem to be affected by weather in my barn. Winter or summer it still lasts. Good luck and give it a try. I think you will be pleased.
I agree Cucvrus. The Right Stuff is the best. Permatex also makes one that is a grey color. I can't remember the name right now but it is alittle firmer than the Right Stuff. both work great. Clean all the surfaces with brake clean or if you have the 3M # 06396 adhesion wipes use those. I'v assy. alot of motors over the years and my motors don't leak.

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just pulled the pan on my M1028A3 to replace the rear main seal. Whoa.... I've never seen so much RTV before. It's on everything. It's squishing out of both sides of the rear pan gasket. There are bits stuck to main cap bolts, the oil pickup, and spots inside the pan.

cucvrus

I have seen that before. I use TRS as an ahesive and use the felpro oil pan gasket. I am not into plain old RTV sealant. It was fine when brand new. But I never acheived the same results no matter how hard I tried on older stuff. I seen it in the oil pump screen from valve covers that were replaced. Use TRS and a good gasket. It will work outwell. Have a Great Weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks