• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Retired in Florida

sf38a1

When I had it it the body shop, the owner was checking out the truck and noticed the front fenders had been altered. The fenders have been opened up to accomadate the larger 900x16 tires. I was thinking about replaceing the passenger fender , but couldnt fine the correct ones . Now I know why the 73 fenders looked differant. Who ever built the truck cut out the fender and then "rolled "the edge. the inner fender well was cut and a new piece was fitted between the inner well and fender

Attachments

m880 unimog

been following this along-very nice job and well worth all the effort- seeing that 318 up in mopar blue took me way back to my first dodge-
nice job-

sf38a1

Thanks for the compliment. I have never owned a Mopar before. Drove plenty in the Air Force. I have been " into " ambulances since I was a kid. I still remember driving by Eaton Company in Cleveland and seeing a I.H. high top Travelall ambulance sitting in the garage ,ready to jump into action. There was a spotlight that beamed down on it , like it was the center piece on the stage.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really nice looking Dodge, there are none in that good of shape up here. And even trying to find decent parts for the 880/890 pick-ups is getting very difficult. Wish somebody made aftermarkets for them. Could use a new floor in the bed and front fenders on one of mine. Nice truck, doesn't owe me a dime, its worked hard since I got it and now it needs some TLC. Matter of fact, a whole new cargo bed wouldn't hurt, then all I'd have to do is take care of the wrong fender on the passengers side. (be careful of folks who say they have a good one and will put it on for ya. Yep its a civie fender with an antenna hole in it and the marker light is different shape....... I'll never learn.) Then I can close up a hole in the floor board in the cab on the drivers side.:-(

sf38a1

I think everthing rust in Ohio and Pa . I remember living in cleveland and it seem like every car and truck had rust on it. Of course it doesnt help with the state putting salt on the road either.This Dodge came from OKlahoma, that why its still in good shape. I haven't been able to find any good parts trucks here in the recycle yards . mostly late model trucks is all they have.

odjeeper

It certainly was good to meet you at the Market of Marion show, your W200 looks and sounds great. You also managed to teach me a couple things about these trucks I had not known previously, thank you.

odjeeper

Reading back through this thread I see you said the winch on yours is a Keonig? Dodge usually used Braden winches from the factory, which is what is on the front of my truck.

sf38a1

I wish I had a Braden. Could you get a couple of shots of when the snow clears. :lol: (You know Im only busten your chops) The Koenig (my opinon) is not the strongest or most durable winch. The cast aluminum is not that strong, in fact the one on this dodge is cracked . I have to remove the winch and take it to the machine shop to get it welded up. I though about getting a ramsey to replace it. If yours is a Braden ,then you have a good winch. I had one on a F250,and it never let me down.
It was good meeting you also at the show, hope you enjoyed the weather while you where here.

sf38a1

I think the W400 had 7.50 x16. I remember seeing W400 at Lackland AFB back in 75. I got to ride in the back of one to Wilford Hall.

sf38a1

Thanks for the Pics on the winch. at least I know I can change out the winch to something differant and not be altering it to much

odjeeper

A little bit of interesting information on these ambulances. A few years ago, I contacted TACOM with the contract number to see if there was any information available on them. The history officer was not able to find anything on the contract itself but did tell me the prefix indicates the purchase was made by the Army, not the Air Force. Many years ago when talking to a friend, who had some knowledge of Chrysler's history with the military, about the first of these ambulances I had contact with, after a friend had purchased one, he thought they may have been part of a program which resulted with the M880 series adoption.

sf38a1

I gave a call to Mark Body and Equipment in Mich. I talked to the owner , Gordon. He said that the records only whent back to "76". They put a tag on there bodies, but I haven't found one yet. He also said that there where other compaines that made ambulance bodies .Gordon thinks this truck might have been made by some other company. I dont know about being made for the Army, I found no OD paint when I sand blasted the truck only white and blue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks