• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1917 Machine Gun Cart,Ammo Cart,Spare...

L999here

Winter project has taken longer than planned,but paint does not cover well in -10 degree cold....LOL. Anyway,these pic's are for those of us who like the old wood convayence's of days gone by. I've learned a lot about WW1 and the guy's who manned the 1917 Browning water cooled guns. This is a tribute to those who have gone before us...in every conflict. Thank you to all who have given their time to email contact info for needed parts and assistance. I am grateful. Primary gun cart and spare gun cart are the same one. I made it 'convertible' to show the different configuration. Primary gun cart had 5-6 wood ammo box's and a water can in the ammo box, a gun box for the 1917 Browning and a 1917 tripod on it. The Spare Gun Cart was also tagged as a gun cart and had 2-1917 Browning's and 2-1917 tripods. Lots of oak,pine and wood screws. Leather is being attached with brass screws and finish washers. Almost done....just enough for pic's.....

Attachments

butch atkins

hey looks nice,quick question,my dad got what he said was the remains of a ww1 ammo cart from in front of the local VFA back in the 1950s to use on our farm,all that is left si a steel square axle with 2 lg spoked steel wheels,does this sound like a real item?can send pics,my dad was a 20yr marine ww2,korea and a city policeman for 30 yrs in greenville SC,thanks in advance

L999here

...stell wheels...?

There were several type's of military carts. If you go to M3A4 Utility Hand Cart you can view them and determine the type and era it was used in. WW1 carts were a square steel axle with wood spoke wheels 38" tall. In the period between the wars they used steel spoke and aluminum wheels and rubber tires...from bicycle type to car wheels. The WW2 era carts were the last ones used and gun carts were obsolete by 1945. That set of wheels and bare axle may be from a WW2 gun cart...sounds like it.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think it would have looked better if you had BOB'd it into a wheelbarrow cart!

I trust you know I am kidding and really glad some folks take the time to preserve our history.

convict1

Really, really nice of you to share those pictures with us. I especially like the ammunition cart myself. I enjoy seeing restored WWI items and the folks who restored them.. Thank you..

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
L999here...those are some beautiful pieces.
Makes you wonder how those brave souls got the job done so well and it makes my respect for them just soar!!

Thank you for sharing your AMAZING pics and your efforts!:beer:

L999here

...muchas gracias...

Thank you,gentlemen....appreciate the comments. I'm still looking for a few small metal parts...draw hooks,1 5/16th metal draw bar 48" long,oak wood cross bar, also 1 5/16th", that makes a 'T' so two guys can pull the cart,metal single tree and a couple steel grab handles. Everything else....wood ammo box's,1918 Browning Belt Loader,steam chest's,signal flag set,canvas bucket,1910 mod. shovel, pick, spade, hatchet,ferrier's tools and mule shoes....are already in residence and on the ammo cart. Some of these are in pic's shown below. Any help in aquiring them is really appreciated and is a 'historical work in progress' for these carts. I'm still in search mode....LOL...

Attachments

L999here

...more metal parts..

Shown below are the draw hooks..right and left...single tree,grab handle,and the foot prop. Again...any help locating these items is appreciated.

Attachments

L999here

...they just got more...

Did not get much help...but found (3) more carts. Thought that resurrecting the original thread would be better to give a look at what has to be done. Been to VA...again,MN and leaving for TN Sun evening. These are going to take a major overhaul....but just the parts are more than worth the time and effort,as they will be used to complete the other carts and be samples for reproductions that are coming. Stay tuned...

Attachments

L999here

7th. Cart in residence....

Just some eye candy for those of us who honor our WW1 Vets and wish to keep their sacrifice's alive with living history. Picked up a 'prototype' ammo cart that was configured after WW1 to carry more ammo in 1200 rd. crates. Left it as-is from a gentleman who restored it from parts/pieces he found in a farmers field in KY. Will have to paint over all the varnish and red metal...but it looks good as 'eye-candy'.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks