• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

preventable rear suspension failure

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at his pics#3 and #4.... that tab seems to be there, intact...

G.
You're right, I didn't blow up the pics so I missed that. But it is something to keep in mind on this part and the axle spindles, I've seen it on a handful of axles.

rattlecan6104

Though I'm sure your fine with new roller bearings, The mil upgraded the trunions to solid bearings due to high failure of the rollers, do you have the greese fittings on the pivot hub?, if not did you add them? ( another upgrade )
I kept the bushings (solid bearings), they are the same as what you have pictured, and my pivot hubs have the grease fittings as well.

And a bit of clarification on the position of the solid bearings, upon removal of the dust cover, the outside edge of the outer bushing was flush with the outside edge of the spindle, and appeared to be riding like that for a bit. The spindle nuts and lock washer were in good condition with no visible damage anywhere.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I took mine off today and they were bone dry. I also still have the bearings and not the bushings. So I put in the zerks and added almost an entire tube of grease to each side. Overall things looked good, just dry.

Heath_h49008

I'm going to bump this because it hasn't been talked about much as a topic, and because I just happened to notice my front tandem walking in and out to a degree I'm not comfortable with, and some of what looks like wear spots on the inside of the inside duals.

Anyone have a comprehensive test for trunnion play or a good TM number? (I'll post it if I find it first.)

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't ever taken one of these apart - are the 5 tons essentially the same in principle and operation in terms of this problem/solution? Like most things between deuce and 5 ton, just twice as big and 3 times as heavy?

Happyland1410

I'm going to bump this because it hasn't been talked about much as a topic, and because I just happened to notice my front tandem walking in and out to a degree I'm not comfortable with, and some of what looks like wear spots on the inside of the inside duals.

Anyone have a comprehensive test for trunnion play or a good TM number? (I'll post it if I find it first.)
Here are a few of links related to this problem.

gringeltaube has some great information on the spring seat bushings.

"It is very easy to check the condition of the pivots: just jack it up in the center of the spring seat axle until springs are totally decompressed and can move freely, that is up & down ONLY, in their pockets. There should NOT be any lateral movement!"

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?43408-Rear-axle-alignment&p=483720&viewfull=1#post483720

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...axle-spring-seat-amp-shaft-repair-and-upgrade

This thread has pictures showing the kind of play my deuce had from loose bearings that had also ruined the spindle threads.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?43408-Rear-axle-alignment

Here is the TM and section for "REAR SPRING SEAT REPLACEMENT"
TM9-2320-361-24-1.pdf Page: 0159 00-1

MG2936

When I bought my M35 11 years ago I was warned of this. I checked the spring seats and they were trash. The brass cone was worn so bad that it pounded the bearing races out of their bores. Lucky for me the shafts that the seats rotate on were ok with good threads. I put in new seats with new roller bearings. I pull that dust cover off and check the adjusting nut once a year.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bringing back an old thread... Can the trunnion off a newer multi deuce bolt onto an early 50's gasser deuce. I know there were many minor changes over the years.

rustystud

Bringing back an old thread... Can the trunnion off a newer multi deuce bolt onto an early 50's gasser deuce. I know there were many minor changes over the years.
It will fit. You might have to play with the bolt holes a little bit though. It's very heavy though. The last one I took out weighed around 250Ibs. That's just the trunnion bar with no brackets on. The bar is a solid piece of steel with the ends machined down.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you say you will have to play with the bolt holes? Are they the same or off a bit???

Jeepsinker

All these trucks were hand built and hand riveted. Hole spacing can vary wildly from one to another. How many deuces have you seen with even door sill gaps and even fender/ hood/ grille alignment?

rustystud

All these trucks were hand built and hand riveted. Hole spacing can vary wildly from one to another. How many deuces have you seen with even door sill gaps and even fender/ hood/ grille alignment?
That's exactly what I have come across. I have two 1952 gasser deuces and one 1954 and have been taking parts off them for years now. They say they are suppose to be the same but they lie ! You will find some bolts will fit and others you have to jog a bit or use a file and hog out the hole a bit. I recently installed the cab top from my 1954 Air-Force gasser deuce to my 1988 Air-Force deuce. Half the holes fit and the rest I had to redrill. You can measure the overall dimensions and they are the same, but just try and fit them together !

russojap

I'm in the process of cleaning up the springs for paint,but noticed severe corrosion here and on the u bolts. Any problems here? Thanks

IMG_20181104_145503.jpg

IMG_20181104_145240.jpg

IMG_20181104_145413.jpg
IMG_20181104_145252.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks