• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another One Bites the Dust ... New M37 Owner

1943ht

Picked up a nice 53 M37 and the complete 3/4 trailer 3 weeks ago... no pics of the trailer yet .. will remedy that ASAP .. Alabama vehicle .. been sitting a while but runs and was driven into its spot under the tree ..

Have a spare engine with a new clutch and trany, radiator, generator, carb, distrib etc .. have already picked up the few missing body items to include both the original spare tire mount and a door mounted spare tire set-up (Option), tailgate w/pioneer rack, 1 tool box door, glove-box door, bridge weight marker, troop seat and bow hardware and 9.00 x 16 Michelin XL tires for the vehicle and the trailer..

Was just blasted to clean the body up and I hope to shoot some primer this weekend ...Will be going thru the wire harness in the next couple of weeks after that and will go from there regards getting her back into condition ... Originally picked it up for the wife .. although I'm really looking for a 49-59 Power Wagon for her as she like that style better and would prefer to have one for her driver.

Attachments

1943ht

More Pics

Some pics before and after a little clean-up ... My 1st Wheeled MV Restoration Project :beer: .

Attachments

1943ht

Invested $1200 into the truck, trailer, and the spare engine ... and another $200 into the body parts (spare tire mounts, tailgate, glove box door etc .. found a source for those parts one step ahead of a scrap guy along with three more m37's in GA :? ... 2 are missing their axle's and they have been sitting on the ground quite a while .. all three have complete engines w/ trany and one has the complete drive-train but I have no idea on the condition of the engines .. believe they can all be purchased for a very good price as I made a tentative offer and it was accepted but that was before I found out that the axles were missing on 2 of the vehicles :cry: .. decided against the purchase for now...

Oldfart

... Originally picked it up for the wife .. although I'm really looking for a 49-59 Power Wagon for her as she like that style better and would prefer to have one for her driver.

The driving difference between the M37 and the Power Wagon should cause her to drive the M37. Smoother ride and better shocks plus a better turning radius are just a few things. I too like the looks of the old power wagons, but they ride like a buckboard and you feel like you are trying to steer a log. My kidneys like the M37 better (better than old Broncos or CJ's too.) My wife took our M37 in preference to most everything we had up until our brood expanded to where we needed a station wagon and she needed a teamsters button because she was delivering kids everyhere.

3dAngus

You're not wasting any time. I might just have to stop in Columbus and check that thing out after you get it done. My father was a Command Sgt. Major there, is 87 years old, and would love to see that. He used to drive a M37 back in the 50's in Alaska, towing a M101A1 trailer from time to time.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, that looks great Mark. You're moving right along with it.

And I think I've seen that dually and trailer before. :beer:

majorhitt

Looks good! Keep the updates with photos coming. I see it has a main disconnect by the battery box, and is that a heater under the dash?

1943ht

CLINTO .. Good to hear from you! Yes PB has been a true friend when it come to the use of his rig .. just picked up 7 new 1600 x 20's on HEMTT wheels for my M818 .. have a turbo on tap for my beast and am set for lots of projects at the home front when I finally get released from Benning School for Boys ..

Have not had a chance to work on anything at home especially the "Queen"

Just tied the knot and my beautiful bride understands and actually supports my addiction .. she is even going to attend the MVPA conference in OH just to see what its like to be in proximity of all of the addicted ones :shock: ... Even better we are thinking of doing that ALCAN trip in 2012.

Hope to be able to get back to the GA Rally this fall as I should be done and out of here by the end of July .. will have to bring the tractor and lowboy down to transport all of the booty I've collected these past 25 months

MAJORHITT .. Guilty on both counts :p

Last edited:

1943ht

3DANGUS .. your welcome anytime .. we get together every Saturday for breakfast at the VFW (0900) in Columbus, and then a day spent working on projects at the HOOCH .. we have 3 M37's on site and the CSM would be our honored guest

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
3DANGUS .. your welcome anytime .. we get together every Saturday for breakfast at the VFW (0900) in Columbus, and then a day spent working on projects at the HOOCH .. we have 3 M37's on site and the CSM would be our honored guest
Let's not forget Wednesday's training schedules.

Steaks at the VFW 12:00hrs and then whatever trouble we can get into at "the hooch".

We will pick up the M37 today Mark so you can prime it tomorrow.:beer:

See...that's what you Northern fellers do...come down here and buy up the good stuff...then take it back up north!!!:deadhorse:

It just ain't fair to us po Southerners I tell ya!:(

Attachments

1943ht

SSSC My wife is from Wooster OH. Grad of OH State :p

PapaBear ... thank you for all of your support ..but more to heart, thank you for your friendship and fellowship. Best thing that could have happened to me is being placed into the Wounded Warrior program at Ft Benning vs Bragg .. and the opportunity I was given to connect with the CAMO Crew at that Veterans Parade in 2009!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
SSSC My wife is from Wooster OH. Grad of OH State :p

PapaBear ... thank you for all of your support ..but more to heart, thank you for your friendship and fellowship. Best thing that could have happened to me is being placed into the Wounded Warrior program at Ft Benning vs Bragg .. and the opportunity I was given to connect with the CAMO Crew at that Veterans Parade in 2009!!!

The way I see it...God knew what ya needed to heal and sent you where you were needed.:beer:
You're a good troop...we may not let you PCS...:cry:

A Wooster girl, huh? i grew up in Doylestown, went to the Career Center in Smithville, and worked at Wooster Country Club for awhile in high school. And my father retired from Wooster Brush... small world, huh? not sure how old you two are, but im 34. if your close in age, i have to wonder if i knew her back in the day...

power wagon

hello new guy here ,i also picked up a m37 a week ago , should be home in a week and once i figure on how to post pic i will show all my trucks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks