• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another One Bites the Dust ... New M37 Owner

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Uninsured theft!!

This afternoons/evenings progress on the rebuild .. should have the engine completed tomorrow .. will then get it prepped for install ..
Dang that engine looks good![thumbzup]
That's what some hard work with blood, sweat and tears can produce!:-D

Speaking of tears...you are leaving us soon and we are heading out to the Gathering.
That leaves that masterpiece sorta...well...unguarded.:roll:

Just in case it's not there when we get back (oh, I don't know, stolen by a crackhead or sumpin), do not despair.

I still have that other engine in the other M43!:jumpin:

Attachments

zout

Just in case it's not there when we get back (oh, I don't know, stolen by a crackhead or sumpin), do not despair.

Yeah Mark - it will be next to someone's recovered 43 sittin in the back lot.

1943ht

Thank You ZOUT! I am having a Ball :jumpin:
PB LMAO ... Wish I was going to be there this year .. looking forward to North GA Buddy!

Ran into a couple of issues today...the main issue was the heat riser ... the heat riser rebuild kit is just plain messed up!!!! Poor design and if you can’t braise or weld you would be hard pressed to make it work... it should be set up like a venturi(sp) plate so that you can screw the plate onto the shaft once you slide the shaft into the exhaust manifold .. Made it work but what a pain and time consuming... did not snap Pics, sorry.

The rebuild has been a great learning experience... this engine has much brass work and I decided to clean and polish it all up instead of painting it... like the look and frankly I’m impressed with both the craftsmanship and the materials. My Half-track water piping is all brass and it did not corrode over the years because of the material... cleaned up beautifully. They just don’t make them like this anymore!

Have to replace the heater shutoff valve on the water pump, but other than that she is pretty complete. Will use a shaft alignment tool that Troy is borrowing to me to install the clutch, pressure plate and tranny ….. bell housing, flywheel and starter still need to bolted on tomorrow and then we plan on doing a ground-hop before installing.

Thank the stars for the CAMO Team and a place to work on the beast!!!

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thank You ZOUT! I am having a Ball :jumpin:
PB LMAO ... Wish I was going to be there this year .. looking forward to North GA Buddy!
Thank the stars for the CAMO Team and a place to work on the beast!!![/QUOTE]

Mark you earned everything you got here the hard way Bro. Just take it for what it is...a thank you![thumbzup]

P.S....I'm still calling the Army fellers daily.
You may not be leaving as soon as you think:roll::roll:

Attachments

1943ht

Bill, attending the MVPA Conference in Dayton during the same time-frame as the Gathering .. am determined to attend the North GA Rally in Oct .. will probably fly into Atlanta rent a 5-ton [thumbzup] and head to the rally!

1943ht

GD FYI: There is also a similar line bracket that fits on the bolt that bolts the generator mount to the block (rear bolt on Gen mount).. that bolt has a stud and a nut to mount the bracket which holds those two vacuum lines that tie into the frame rail on the drivers side.

Pics of todays progress .. long day not much time to spend in the shop ..rest of the schedule for the week is pretty tight but plan on having the engine running by Saturday .. Had to get 2 new vacuum lines fabricated today .. they tie in from the frame to lines on the engine and run up to the air-horn .. 3/16 inverted fittings with flared ends (Braided and rubber covered) about 6" each .. hydraulic line company in town will have them ready tomorrow afternoon .. then I can install the generator and button up the engine compartment (Radiator, fan blade etc). Special thanks for the help to Troy, Tony and my good bud SFC Ben L. who is heading downrange to A$$krackistan soon (His 3rd Combat Tour). Stay safe brother!

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Dang - now I need a forklift and an operator to poke the engine in the hole auaauaauaaua

Surprising the operator did not have his RayBans on as shiny as that engine is auaauaauaaua

Between you and GD throwing down the gauntlet on how shiny and spanking brand new those engines look :not worthy:

That smile on your face chucking that engine in there says it all - Congrats.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Dang - now I need a forklift and an operator to poke the engine in the hole Surprising the operator did not have his RayBans on as shiny as that engine is

Between you and GD throwing down the gauntlet on how shiny and spanking brand new those engines look

That smile on your face chucking that engine in there says it all - Congrats.
Dave, you will have what you need...cause you are CAMO...get some OD and black paint and stand by.

Also, 1943ht (Mark) is leaving us next week.:(:(:(

Ain't gonna tell his story...that's his deal.

We (CAMO) are gonna have a "seafood fest" in Mark's honor this Saturday at the hooch.
We are honored to have had Mark as a member for his time here and his 30+yrs of serving this great nation and just want to show him a little gratitude.

If any of you yahoos happen to be in the area, stop in. You know what our "events" are like.:drool::drool::roll:

Attachments

Ghostdriver

Congratulations!! I probably won't get mine running by Saturday, as I have had to cover some shifts in my shop that I did not plan on.

Post a video when you start it, if you can. I love the sound of these engines (well, all engines actually, but they're all different).

Oldfart

GD FYI: There is also a similar line bracket that fits on the bolt that bolts the generator mount to the block (rear bolt on Gen mount).. that bolt has a stud and a nut to mount the bracket which holds those two vacuum lines that tie into the frame rail on the drivers side.

GD found the tube bracket and got it attached to the manifold and the tubes installed when she worked on it yesterday evening. Thanks on the heads up on the other locations. We discovered the PCV valve was stuck, so we have an additional take apart and clean project with a bit of the plumbing still to go.

1943ht

Thank You OF ...

The plumbing is significant on these beasts .. had a couple of hours free this afternoon and evening ..Troy and I finished hooking up all of the lines into the air-horn, the clutch, throttle, and choke linkage, hi-low lever, emergency brake, front-wheel drive linkages, drive-shaft vacuum and fuel-lines etc etc etc .... have not even started the wire harness yet :cookoo: but all in all its going well and looking good .. waiting for my new heater shut-off valve which is due in tomorrow and then I can add fluids (Oil and antifreeze) .. Still on track for a start-up Saturday rofl

Have to replace my muffler tomorrow and the exhaust system is already torn down .. have 1 pipe I want to replace .. just going to have the local muffler shop make a new one as this system is simplicity itself and it should be a quick fabrication. The radiator is just sitting in place and still needs to be locked down .. just wanted to install my fan-belt first and let the paint dry on the lower radiator pipe before finishing that up.

Will shoot some video Saturday GD

Some pics:

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

1943 SIR - I cannot tell you how much Deb & I really would like to be there this weekend - it has been a very nasty week.

I am grateful for your service to this country - which I know you know already.

The work you have done on the 37 is outstanding and you SIR are a much better man than I .

The pictures have and will come in very handy as I have not taken this apart - and I need to stick it all together.

I am sure I will get to where you are at - but not as "pretty" and shinny - but I will get there with some time.

1943ht

Dave, Thank you for your comments... I am so not worthy!!!! ... And thank You for your service to our Nation... We will miss you and Deb tomorrow... but I am looking forward to seeing you both at the North GA Rally... Will have the chance to introduce you to my bride :)

My 28+ months here in the program have been a joy because of my association with Larry, Troy, Doc, Tony, The Ugly Ranger, Marvin, Dion, Lisa, COL Paul the CAMO Team and folks like you and Deb. Thank you for making me feel welcome and part of the family! It truly has been my sanity check all these months with all the surgeries, casts, crutches, therapy and the long separation from my family and friends. I have had ample opportunity to reflect on my 33 years of service and my future and I am leaning forward in the foxhole. Am excited at the prospect of getting home and getting on with my life and am looking forward to future return visits to my new family here in GA.

On that note we are planning on starting the beast up tomorrow :razz: .. will shoot some video .. will just have to figure out how to post it aua

//Vr//
Mark

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Dave, Thank you for your comments... I am so not worthy!!!! ... And thank You for your service to our Nation... We will miss you and Deb tomorrow... but I am looking forward to seeing you both at the North GA Rally... Will have the chance to introduce you to my bride :)
My 28+ months here in the program have been a joy because of my association with Larry, Troy, Doc, Tony, The Ugly Ranger, Marvin, Dion, Lisa, COL Paul the CAMO Team and folks like you and Deb. Thank you for making me feel welcome and part of the family! It truly has been my sanity check all these months with all the surgeries, casts, crutches, therapy and the long separation from my family and friends. I have had ample opportunity to reflect on my 33 years of service and my future and I am leaning forward in the foxhole. Am excited at the prospect of getting home and getting on with my life and am looking forward to future return visits to my new family here in GA.
On that note we are planning on starting the beast up tomorrow :razz: .. will shoot some video .. will just have to figure out how to post it aua
//Vr//
Mark
You knew you were hooked at that first parade Mark.
You knew you were family the first day at the hooch.

You know you will be family as long as a CAMO member lives.
That's what CAMO lives for.

Attachments

1943ht

Mission Accomplished!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FllCxCidWuw

Some minor issues as is to be expected .. one fuel line that was overlooked (My Bad) and had to be tightened .. one of the old oil lines (New ones on the way) had a slight leak around the barb that a clamp took care off .. was a very minor bead of antifreeze that showed up on the front of the head-gasket that ceased as soon as the engine heated up to operating temp and the gasket seated itself .. drove the beast around the yard a few times just to get a feel for the trany .. ran like a dream ... still need to tweak a few items like the fuel filter and the fuel tank .. but the engine runs smooth as silk and this M37 is going to be a joy to drive.

Last edited:

Ghostdriver

That is awesome!! I watched the video, and when she fired up, I stood up out of my chair and did a happy dance for you. Then I noticed the man in the red shirt in the video doing the same happy dance I was doing.

I am a bit behind you due to scheduling conflicts, but I am so excited to hear yours run. And thank you so much for posting the video!

1943ht

All my goodies shipped from GA and arrived in WI on Friday .. so I will at last be able to get back to work on my M37 project! Ran my baby into the shop on Saturday and removed the hard-top so that I can get her prepped for the ALCAN 2012 Trip .. plan on using the canvas top for the trip As I want to have the option of having the top down among all of that Alaskan beauty! (I have a replacement hard top that is in excellent condition so the old top which is in fair condition is available)

Found that I'll need to fabricate a couple of small cover plates for the rear of the cab where the hard top shafts and the canvas support frames fit into the back of the cab .. Surprisingly, all the J and U clamps came apart nicely and the windshield folded down with very little effort .. did a little cleanup around the windshield seal and I will need to replace it as its very dried out and is non-flexible.

Here are some pics of my progress .. the M37 started right up when I drove it off the trailer Friday and runs like a Swiss Watch as I have run it in and out of the shop a couple of times in the last 2 days.

LOGO in one pic was done by my brother JD for the MVPA ALCAN trip that I am prepping the truck for .. He does beautiful art work and did the nose-art for my Half-track, “The African Queen"

My pup Jack (Wearing his Winter coat) was in the shop sitting in the half-track when I snapped the M37 pics .. Jack is a big fan of all military vehicles.

Attachments

68t

Mark, glad you got the m37 home. Also it looks SHARP. We had a great veterans day parade. The ww2 veteran that we haul last year has passed away. also i think I found the little box for the m16a2 that hold the flags, by the passenger seat. wendell

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks