• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Load Bank?

Chainbreaker

...My homemade load bank is nice but if I were doing it over I would probably consider a couple of 240V garage heaters.
Although its kind of fun to have a DIY project that one can feel a sense of accomplishment when its completed and working. However, I wholeheartedly agree that 240V garage heaters are a perfect load bank. They have safety features and are UL approved and the settings allow one to easily vary the load. I bought one of the Comfort Zone garage heaters on sale last fall and REALLY like it. It is well made and as an aside makes a great garage heater to boot. Plus, if I were to ever want to get rid of it I could easily sell it at a garage sale or on CL and recoup most of my investment.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I didnt already have the log cradle, 10" fan, and some other things... thats what I would have done. Lord knows my garage sucks in New England winters trying to wrench on these things. Considering changing up the input wiring or maybe terminating to a locking wall plug, so I can use the load bank as a semi portable space heater in the garage.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I search ebay I always check the USA only box, the buy it now box, then sort by price to find the lowest cost. My elements cost $71.80 which comes out to $17.95 each shipped,

My homemade load bank is nice but if I were doing it over I would probably consider a couple of 240V garage heaters.
You did a really nice job on that loadbank, its a pattern for anyone who likes to fabricate to work from or copy. I screwed four of them together in a similar setup but have not cased it yet.

I think my elements were $17 and change also but that was last year.

Last edited:

csheath

UL listings aside I do have a couple of spaces left in my panel which is located in the corner of my garage. I could always add a range outlet and plug my load bank in for additional heat if I needed it. ;)

Guyfang

Staff member
If I didnt already have the log cradle, 10" fan, and some other things... thats what I would have done. Lord knows my garage sucks in New England winters trying to wrench on these things. Considering changing up the input wiring or maybe terminating to a locking wall plug, so I can use the load bank as a semi portable space heater in the garage.
on my Engineer Shop Set, I had four A427 Load Banks. When we went to the field, all of my load banks were in different tents. The gen set had to run 24/7 anyway, and my soldiers did not have someone awake all night on fire watch, because of a diesel fired stove. They make good heaters!!

NormB

Maybe I stood way too many hours of fire guard also?

The pops and creaking and pain from your knees and arches will answer that question.

I can hardly remember a time in my life when my joints didn't make sound effects like a gang of professional foley artists moved in under the radar and went to work on a soundtrack for an earthquake disaster movie...

Guyfang

Staff member
Two years ago, I went to Rehab for my shoulder. The head doc, an elderly Russian gentleman, sat and listened to my doc ask me questions, on the first day. Then she made me move around. The head doc was behind me. He said, after listening to all my joints make noise loud enough for him to hear, "I never heard anything like that before. You could not sneak up on a rock".

flydude92

I’ve been thinking about adding a “load bank” to my mep-005. The most I draw from it is 30% but
it is what was available at the time. I installed a linear drive actuator and small computer to maintain coolant
temps to on average of 190 degrees no matter what the wattage draw using the louvers. I was thinking of adding
a load bank of maybe 5 to 15 k to supplement the wattage draw when needed. I use a 36K watt water filled load
bank to clean it up in the summer. I love the idea of using dryer elements and both Farmstalls’ and sheaths’ designs.

BeStihl

I also went the heater element route. But am going to add more in series as 5kW heating elements don’t like being ran for long periods even with a 1kW vacuum pulling across them. I know it is a little dangerous looking, still in process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks