• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Load Bank?

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interested in load bank. Is there a rating marked on them such as Kilowatts, Voltage,etc.?
If so, please post what you have.

Thanks, Orren

DieselBob

I use 2 4500 watt water heater elements ($12 each) in a 55 gallon drum (free). Have them switched with 2 240v 30 amp switches so I can very the load.

derf

I picked up a twin heating element today from a guy I bought a generator from. I dunno the wattage or anything but next gen I get running I'll hook up to it and see what happens. I plan to hook up one element to 240V and see what kind of current it draws. I recently picked up an oven for powder coating and I'm thinking it might be a good test load with two oven elements and four stove elements.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a electric oil filled radiator style heater, 3 settings 120v, 500 watt, 1000 watt, 1,500 watt. 3 ways to check a load and if you need more double or triple up.2cents

derf

I use a electric oil filled radiator style heater, 3 settings 120v, 500 watt, 1000 watt, 1,500 watt. 3 ways to check a load and if you need more double or triple up.2cents
I have one of those. But, I want to be able to test up to 10kW and 240V.

PeterD

OK, what I use...

1. I have three of those (little) oil-filled electric heaters, total draw can be about 4500 watts (assuming three phase).

2. Then I have a bunch of electric baseboard units that were removed from my daughter's house.
3. My (old) electric stove (now my powder-coat oven), and
4. An old electric hot water heater, rewired with two elements. (When using fill with cold water, and leave both fill and outlet open to allow steam to escape. With this you must watch to make sure it doesn't over heat the elements.

Last edited:

derf

I've thought about water heaters but they require too much maintenance, filling with water, etc. Plus, steam adds a new element of danger to an already testy situation, so to speak.

PeterD

derf, that's true, but any load bank will get hot if it is working... Even those oil heaters will reach temperatures of 200 degrees (F) in normal operation (I checked, right after the guy who was helping me said "Dang, that's hot!")

But agreed, a water heater is a poor last choice, IMHO as well.

derf

Yeah, I pictured a bunch of heating elements open to the air with a fan blowing on them to keep them from overheating.

steelandcanvas

I use 2 4500 watt water heater elements ($12 each) in a 55 gallon drum (free). Have them switched with 2 240v 30 amp switches so I can very the load.
Bob, Would happen to have a few photos of your load bank to share with us? I have thought of different ways to go about load testing my 003A, but this by far, sounds like the best way.

PeterD

The MEP-004's "factory" load bank is positioned in front of the radiator to allow the engine's fan to cool it. An excellent idea considering just how much heat it can produce. I think, for three phase, that three oven elements would make a good load bank, and it should not be that hard to mount them so that you can get cooling air (big box fan if necessary?) Most oven elements are about 4 KW so that would give you a 12 KW load (bit less if 208 three phase, however) and if you combined with broiler elements (say get three scrap stoves) you probably will have 5 KW load per leg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks