• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Needs some tips on fixing this dent

zout

All in all - I would say "say la vieve" to that tank, seeing you have all the stuff to bolt back on er and just get another shell instead of screwng with that tank shell. I am sure you can locate one - find one to be less than what you would have screwing with this one.

This is not a negative post - it is a mattter of what will get you up and running with the least amount of time - effort and components.

A

A/C Cages

I simply used a mini air ram sitting on a chunk of wood for a base, Neighbors long skinny arms to reach in the tank. place it on the dented area..... little air, pop,,, very close to smooth finish. Biggest thing was the neighbors really freaky long skinny arms. She agreed to do it since she was the one who backed into the tank in the first place.

Gunfreak25

Shoot, the truck is a work in progress. Still have to rebuild the engine, tranny, etc.

I went ahead and tack welded a plate to the dent earlier around noon. Ran out of wire, picked up some more and put a few more tacks on. I put the tank under the right side of the cargo bed (coincidentally both my wheels are off right now) and connected a hand winch to the steel plate. I filled the tank full of 56 gal of water to weigh it down, figure 450-500lbs total? It worked great! I pulled out over half the dent as well as the crease line at the top. I have to cut the plate off and do a little repositioning and a little more pulling and it will be done. I'll get pictures before I put any bondo on it so you guys can see how well it came out. Surprised that my spot welds held up so well too, the water filled tank made a superb heat sink.

Can't thank you enough, AMX. My first dent pull. :D

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

Shoot, the truck is a work in progress. Still have to rebuild the engine, tranny, etc.

I went ahead and tack welded a plate to the dent earlier around noon. Ran out of wire, picked up some more and put a few more tacks on. I put the tank under the right side of the cargo bed (coincidentally both my wheels are off right now) and connected a hand winch to the steel plate. I filled the tank full of 56 gal of water to weigh it down, figure 450-500lbs total? It worked great! I pulled out over half the dent as well as the crease line at the top. I have to cut the plate off and do a little repositioning and a little more pulling and it will be done. I'll get pictures before I put any bondo on it so you guys can see how well it came out. Surprised that my spot welds held up so well too, the water filled tank made a superb heat sink.

Can't thank you enough, AMX. My first dent pull. :D
Fuel of many types eat thru that bad word you said,,(Bondo)
Try AllMetal or the better one is LabMetal... They are kinda like JB Weld but much stronger and wont deteriorate once in contact with fuels.
Never Bondo

AMX

Fuel of many types eat thru that bad word you said,,(Bondo)
Try AllMetal or the better one is LabMetal... They are kinda like JB Weld but much stronger and wont deteriorate once in contact with fuels.
Never Bondo
Properly prepared substate with a quality primer/sealer will allieviate any fuel problems. I have used many types of fillers including lab metal, most are still polyester based.

Gunfreak25

I figure the bondo will be far enough back on the tank and once it's properly primed and sealed up with a couple coats of 24087 then any small fuel spill would be harmless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks