• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road trip OCT 22 through NOV 05

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got 2 weeks off from OCT 22 through NOV 05, and have been working on the Deuce nights and weekends. Begin and end in Dallas TX.

The route is not strictly defined yet but I'm looking for 2-lane blacktop, small towns, and interestingly boring places. So far, the central and southeast seem alike a good bet. Then there's always the west but I don't want to go to Kalifornia. So, I don't have alot of experience with road trips, but I like adventures. No serious offroading or mudding since I have the commo shelter in the bed. I'll have a co-driver and prepared to do some camping and/or hotels so should be OK.

Might take the M105 trailer but it's not decided. -just more weight, has no air brakes, and the deuce is doggy as it is. Could be persuaded to haul something smallish

Are there any rallies or MV events during that time?

How's the weather that time up north a ways (Nebraska, Dakotas)?

Anywhere interesting to suggest I spend a day or night?

Thanks,
Patrick

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok here is day one.. made it from Dallas to just west of Memphis. About 150 miles into this, noticed quite a bit of oil all over the transfer case. Not sure where it is from, still plenty in the transmission and transfer, although I think the level is lower in the transfer. The pattern looks like the front axle driveshaft was slinging it, but that should not be since the front is disengaged. There is very little oil on the rear of the transmission, the oil seems to have been slung or sprayed from down lower. I will investigate this in the morning.The truck does have a small engine oil leak and the underside is generally oily from that but this looks new. Maybe it's the constant 50MPH showing me a bad seal.

As for the pyrometer and turning up the fuel 1/6 turn, the temperature actually seems to have decreased slightly 800 vs 900 with an uphill load, and I have not had to shift out of 5th gear on hills, so the power has increased. I can tell it accelerates a bit better. I used to just keep it floored all the time and hope for 55 but now it will head straight for 60+, so I have to watch the speed. Maybe it was set very lean? I heard that lean ratios will also cause high temperatures. I might go another 1/6 turn and see.

The CB - VIC4 interface is working well and it is alot of fun but I have to re-do the microphone signal cables due to occasional RF feedback (squealing). The cables I used are cut from "audio-video" type cables do not appear to be well shielded. So much for $3.00 cable. If I can find an electronics store on the way I might redo it.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That seems like an interesting idea. I would need a good city map, wold not want to get lost in the badlands..

I passed by Turner's Surplus on I-30. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you covered a good bit of distance on your first day.
Are you heading straight for Virginia or are you making any stops before? At your rate, you'll be here before the weekend.
I may have the cable you need, twisted shielded pair w/teflon jacket....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a perfect side tour for you Patrick, Howard's (Now Buddy's) in Greenville, only about 250 miles away from Memphis.

Spend a day there, take "orders" from forum members, bring the stuff to me for shipping further South or East later.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turners is cool, but you need to stop at The yard right across from Texarkana... I forget the name of the place, but he has MILES of trucks lined up for parts, whole, whatever..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots o neat stuff in that yard! Looks like the crane truck is based on a WWII Dodge platform, judging by the wheels. The posts on top are metal expanding poles for GP Smalls, and maintenance tents, I believe.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: road trip OCT 22 through NOV 05

cranetruck said:
Looks like you covered a good bit of distance on your first day.
Are you heading straight for Virginia or are you making any stops before? At your rate, you'll be here before the weekend.
I may have the cable you need, twisted shielded pair w/teflon jacket....
I didn't do so well today, due to other people's idiocy. tried to buy some software for my GPS and it was wrong, didn't work on the GPS, didn't work on the PC, and 3 hours of my tie was wasted.

I did not plan to make other stops except at junk shops along the road. I could change my route.

Now, I will be sticking to major highways like I-40. I have always suspected my truck has some kind of slight imbalance to it. To the engine's power balance between all the cylinders, not something mechancially unbalanced. Turning up the fuel to the second flat got me where I want to be, and still under 900 degrees on the post turbo exhaust. However, the imbalance became very much more pronounced, to the point of feeling the vibrations in the steering column etc, under certain conditions. I do not know what it could be, was not really annoying before. I will put the fuel back like it orignally was tomorrow morning and stick to major roads, contrary to popular belief I do not like being on deserted back roads at night with a vibrating deuce. Could it be a dead miss? No, I have already checked for that in the past using the line wrench on the injector line nut procedure.It is definitely a power issue with a cylinder though. I believe that I can dedeuce which one now however as with the fuel up a bit, the tone may give it away at idle.

The oil leak is coming from the engine. It leaks a little at the front at the head gasket area and drains down the side and sprays rearward. no big deal, I checked the level and it was OK. It does not take alot of oil to make a mess. And to think some people pay to be misted with hot oils.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
Here is a perfect side tour for you Patrick, Howard's (Now Buddy's) in Greenville, only about 250 miles away from Memphis.

Spend a day there, take "orders" from forum members, bring the stuff to me for shipping further South or East later.
I'm in Jackson now, so I could do that. I need some good directions and contact info (web page also?) to Buddy's, I have no idea where it really is, and don't know him or at least I don't think I do. Tonight would be good for this..

whatever is desired has to fit inside the shelter, that is the available space is roughly 3 FT wide and 8 FT long and 5FT high. I do have a pintle hitch so could pull a M105 trailer if one is available but am going to be a bit underpowered again. I will be happy to help.

best way to reach me is 214-763-4764

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22 said:
Turners is cool, but you need to stop at The yard right across from Texarkana... I forget the name of the place, but he has MILES of trucks lined up for parts, whole, whatever..
Please tell me more about this, I didn't see it. I would like to stop on the way back.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scrounger said:
I think the poles are for the 10 man Arctic tent. They should be constructed from magnesium alloy. That tent only uses one center pole.
They have a pin on top and some kind of slot on the bottom. The bottom plate has knobbies or knurls on it like it turns but I tried one and could not do anything with it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw turners back in 98 before the green OD fever set in. If you would when you get to Howards look for a M35 cab with the reinforcement kit for a M-66 ring mount in it if you would. It is kind of a sheet of metal that wraps the inside of the back of the duece cab for structural support for the gun mount. I would like to try and have some made but need an example. Also, if you do find the junk yark in Texarcana-take lots of pictures I see a road trip coming soon as it's just a few hours from corpus.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick, if you have the time, go ahead and go up to Greenville, I'll post local directions before lunch today unless sombody else beats me to it. Got them filed away and have to dig a little. Directions are easy to follow.

Also, on your way East from Greenville, drive on to Charleston, WV and visit Clark Truck parts, they have lots of MV stuff (probably 50 or more deuces in their yard) and a huge indoor storage area for parts.
Clark is in Polka, WV zip 25259.
I-77 gets you South from Charleston, so overall Greenville and Charleston won't change distance driven that much.

Notice that you stopped by a Sonic burger place, I always used the truck stops for super service and all facilities.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the hose from the water pump to the water manifold a 2" size? I think I will pick up some length from an auto parts store, see some seepage. I think it is like a gates 20611.

If Greenville has an internet, I'll signal when I reach that objective.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks