• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road trip OCT 22 through NOV 05

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick, good to see that you made it back all right!

Question regarding your front tires (Toyo M140 11.00r20), how many miles do you have on them and is there any noticable wear?
Also, do you run with or without an innertube?
Thanks,

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the pictures from the trip are now posted online on the Bunker of DOOM website:

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/travel/steelsoldiers1/index.html

There are over 500 images, and the data set is about 1GB. If you click on a small image to see the large size one, or on anything else for that matter and it does not work, please let me know. The 'large' images are about 1-2 megs and very good resolution. Apologies to modem users, but that is why the 'thumbnail' images are 300 pixels wide, so you can see what you want to take a closer look at before doing so.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front radials, what the truckers call "steer tires", have about 3000 miles on them and show no appreciable wear. I just went out and measured, and have 1/2" tread in the middlegroove, and 7/16" on the outside grooves. These are designed for and run with inner tubes, and are for the semi-tractor front axle application so they are rated for more than 2X the weight than I have on them. Before I put these on, I was chewing up military type NDT front tires. I run 80-90 pounds pressure in them, and the steering on the highways and especially in rain is much better. Each of these tires is rated for well over the entire weight present on the front axle of the truck. If you can 'suffer' with the non-military appearance and do most of your driving on road, these will serve wonderfully.

There's the whole story here as well as about the 11.00x20 rears:
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/m35/11x20/11x20fit.html

About the antenna mounts: There is no military precedent I am aware of, it is not regulation. The sugar scoops do fit perfectly for welding up in that position.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hndrsonj said:
Did you ever stop at the junkyard in texarkana?
I was not able to stop in texarkana on the way back, but at least it is close enough to visit anothe time. i am sorry but I took I-20 back and if I wanted to make it in Thursday night, I did not have time to divert north.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
alphadeltaromeo said:
I like the look of the antenna's on the front. The certainly add a distinctive flair when seeing the deuce for the first time.
Thank you, it is also very practical from an RF standpoint to put the tall antennas up front away from sheetmetal. Of noite also, low bridges may strike erect antennas if they are mounted much higher in 'authorized' positions. Sure the military ties them down, but no need to go on about polarization.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick !!! [thumbzup] Thanks , I really enjoyed "riding along with you"! I know it's a lot of extra effort to post as you go, but I looked forward to the updates and pics every day. I have visited your site and all the pics are cool, so is your site! (lots of good info also)

OK, who's next and where are we going? :grd: I'm ready for another road trip all ready! :driver:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick,
Great to see you made it back home with no major SNAFUs. ADR did a bitchin' job on the bracket for the alt. More things to add to a road trip tool list, vice, some light strap metal and a hammer! Oh yeah, wipers..maybe that was mentioned b4. How about a small convoy?? Two or three vehicles, visit some good places, I do have 45 days of vacation again after the new year....hmmm?? Any West Coasties wanna try it? Gary, Bigmike???

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it's been a privelege and an honor to have the hospitality and support from fellow SS members during this adventure. I'd like to do it again some time as well as host someone coming through Texas. We have a big great nation to travel, and for what it's worth, I think I'm a better person for having made this trip. It's restored some self-confidence that might have slipped away over the years and also built character. Never too old to build more character. I don't mind saying that this voyage reaffirmed my faith in God, the decency of my fellow man, and in the basic good principles of our country. After a couple days rest-up (I am an old fart), I feel like a new man and this is already having a positive effect on my attitude. The best way to sum this up - HOOAH!

So.. next road trip -who's going to do it? It's still warm enough in the south and as you say the coast!

jasonjc

With split rims you have to use tubes. And asfor non military look I've seen duces and five tin in the military with those typ of tires on the front alot for all the reason you say. Glade you had a good trip. Are you going to drive up to littel Rock for the big show in Jun??

alphadeltaromeo

I'm really glad to hear the testimony of your trip and what you really gleaned from it. Faith in God (the freedom) is the basis of how this country was formed...yes, I know there is more to it than just that, but it's great to see you share your thoughts there. We do have a wonderful country...the best there is really. Glad to hear you had such a fulfilling time!

WillWagner said:
How about a small convoy?? Two or three vehicles, visit some good places after the new year....hmmm?? Any West Coasties wanna try it? Gary, Bigmike???
Oh man. Will, you took the thoughts right outa my head!
Since we don't have major snow fall here we can make short ones and I am dying to do it.

I have been dying to get a loop trip going up 395 into Mammoth then north to Lee Vining and over Tioga Pass through Yosemite down to 99 then back home. My family has a house in Mammoth and there is a fantastic campground right behind it with hot showers and flush toilets. I'd camp right along with the rest of you all. We could then go up to the ghost town of Bodie which would make an incredible backdrop for pictures with the deuces. Maybe we can coax Devin (Djfreema) into going as well. Bring the dirt bikes, quads,and fishing poles. I could be the tour guide if need be. We could also see what the effects of extreme elevation have on performance. Conway Summit at 8138 and Tioga Pass at 9941.

Pic here:http://www.heinphoto.com/landscape/LAGB-10209.htm

Patrick, A wave of relief has passed over me but one of sorrow as well. I am glad you made it safely back home but I am also depressed that your adventure is completed. As doghead said "I really enjoyed riding along with you". I think we all got a chance to ride along with you as we did with Bjorn we he came out west here. Thank you for taking the time for pictures and reporting here.

Mission accomplished. Relax and have a :beer:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jasonjc said:
Are you going to drive up to littel Rock for the big show in Jun??
Sounds like a good idea. why not? I think that drive should be a piece of cake compared to..

ONTOS66

Great trip, thanks for the info and photos. Too bad we didn't know about the cost of shipping that radio before the trip. I could have met you in Virginia. Nice looking truck! The "Jump TOC" for my tank battalion was a duce with a box on the back. I filled it up with VRC-12 gear, map board, etc. and used it for battalion road moves, an alternate TOC when the M577s were moving ( a bit of a cheat, but I got tired of being banged around inside the bread box while trying to post unit locations on a map overlay).

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's always the issue with GRC-106 gear, the size and weight. Once in place, it's nice as you please, but moving it is a pain. When I first installed the set in the shelter, I lifted the power supply onto the M35 tailgate myself, but now a few years later.. heh.. I got some help getting it down when I removed it and now it feels like the VRC-12 tranceivers are weighty!! It's hell getting old. Considering the CB squealing issues, I wonder how the GRC-106 would have fared if connected to the VIC-x intercom system? be a good match impedance wise. Well someone's considering to send me crates to ship the GRC-106 in, claims UPS would be cheap and would accept the monster. If it goes through then maybe that is a way to go but I don't want to talk out of turn on it till it's done or not done. I would have been happy to bring it with me on that trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks