• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road trip OCT 22 through NOV 05

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like it's south on 77 to 85, on into the flying J in Commerce at exit 147 according to the truck stop giude. I will be trying to get there maybe 9 or 10 PM! I would welcome late-nite greazy sleazy truckstop burgers with y'all! I got Clinto and alphadeltaromeo's 's cell numbers so when I get close i'll call y'all. I better get oin the road now though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a breakfast and last minute "walk around" checks, Patrick left at 09:10 hrs this morning...
Have a great trip!

Peter, glad you made it back okay, that Blue Ridge Parkway gets very dark at night indeed.
The gravel in our driveway gives everybody trouble, so don't feel bad. :)

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Patrick, how many miles you done so far? In a few posts pack, you said Clarks had new style wiper blades and arms. Did youput them on yet? Do they work better?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just got back from meeting Patrick at the Flying J in Commerce Ga. He seems like a very personable fellow and very knowledgeable about radios and electronics. His Deuce rocks, really nice truck, clean, sounds healthy. The commo box is impressive and the workmanship on the wiring is first rate.

Glad to have met you Patrick :beer:

Here are some pics:

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Clint! Same here, Those trucks look great sitting next to each other. I was really impressed by the dump bed, never seen one in person before. I can tell you know trucks and also the same for workmanship.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the receipts I can find at the moment, I think I have done about 1480 miles so far.

After a thoroughly fine day and night at Bjorn's I've gone to Commerce, GA to the Flying J truck stop he reccommended. It's a few tens of miles north of Atlanta proper. I'll camp here tonight. The internet is $5, camping is free of course. Electrical outlets are something I generally have a fondness for, and also among the things that can't always be counted on. I realize now I should have set up a separate battery powered lighting system in the shelter for my convenience, and also rigged an inverter for shaving. It will be easy to implement this later, just a couple of diodes to charge the batteries already in there during the time the truck is running, and some LEDs for lights, so they'll last a long time. Ok well I draw the line at a sink and toilet..

Bjorn gave me (among some other cool stuff) some real nice teflon covered 100% shielded wire, I am going to redo the VIC-4 connections to the CB as long as I have some down time. I have all the tools and even the oscilloscope (it is assigned to the truck). There is an occasional squeal that I described before, it has returned, so I suspect the shielding on the cables I used is poor. It's a toss-up: is the fun of annoying the truckers with a squealing CB cancelled out be the embarasment of having a sqealer? One helpful soul suggested that I throw the CB out the window. Another graciously offered to stop and pick it up, so there would be no littering what with me throwing a piece of garbage out the window. Truckers are truly the knights of the road!

Ok Bjorn, I forgot to give you the CDROM but I'll mail it next week.

It was a real thrill checking out Peter's M109, it's a real gem! I orignally wanted an M109, but I'm past the point of no return mow. I still can't get Bjorn's XM- 8x8 out of my head, it's really unique. Later that nite, I got to stay in Bjorn's guest house, it's was just perfect. Man, the wind really was howling last night. I stepped out a few times to have a smoke, and you can hear it rushing through the trees. That was a novel experience for me since we seldom have that strong a wind in Texas unless it's either a tornado or Laura Miller or John Wiley Price have opened their traps. Bjorn cooked up a fine breakfast and we looked over some maps. Then as much as I hated to depart the beautiful countryside and good company, it was time to go.

South on I-77 was a good route, both scenic and mostly downhill, then 85 through the Carolinas towards Atlanta GA. Some breathtakingly beautiful countryside, and the truck gobbled up the roads easily. On 85, it's hill and dale, with the speed alternating between 40 and 60, and the pyro swinging 850-600 respectively in response to the loading. I shifted to 4th at 42MPH and managed to catch it right at 40, and just hold that on the toughest hills. (not to be confused with the really tough hills near the Meadows of Dan)

I pulled in to the Flying J at about 6:30 PM, so that is 6 hours from Bjorn's. Not bad! Clint was good enough to meet up with me there, and showed me his M35 w/w. It's a real nice machine, sounds good and has a dump bed modification.

Tomorow, I'll head out to Shirley's and spend some time at his establishment. Weather's fine, I'll take some pictures. Then off to see Andy (alphadeltaromeo) later that day, he's been kind enough to invite me. I have to say this is the most hospitable and friendly bunch.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it to Commerce, GA so quickly, it wasn't quite as far as we figured I guess, less than 300 miles.
You guys look good in the dark. :)

Enjoyed you company too and Opie's of course, next time you have to stay longer!

I recognize the view above driving from VA into NC on I-77, about a 5 mile downhill run.

Hope it doesn't get too noisy with all the other trucks around.

Later,

alphadeltaromeo

Patrick

1) 20W towards Alabummer...err...Alabama (slip of the finger)
2) Exit 24 Villa Rica, left off freeway exit and over the freeway
3) Left at the QT gas station into the Wal-Mart parking lot

That's the easiest place to meet and I'll come meet you and it's less than 10 down the road to my place.

What you'll get: Power, Shower, Food, Place to sleep...breakfast (better than Bjorn's) :grin: joke lol and some company. Looking forward to the visit!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was really worried about my next move, you guys have changed that. We will either be headed from Corpus, to WI or whats looking like Atlanta for my last tour in the NAV, anyway will know DEC 01. :D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick, while at the truck stop, put your deuce on the scales, it will give you a definite on the weight.
Knowing the weight of the basic cargo truck, 13,100 lb (plus extra 1100's in your case), should pin down the shelter weight.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hndrsonj said:
I was really worried about my next move, you guys have changed that. We will either be headed from Corpus, to WI or whats looking like Atlanta for my last tour in the NAV, anyway will know DEC 01. :D
You'll have to let us know how the move goes, it should be very interesting! I might be on the way from Corpus, depending how you go.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
Patrick, while at the truck stop, put your deuce on the scales, it will give you a definite on the weight.
Knowing the weight of the basic cargo truck, 13,100 lb (plus extra 1100's in your case), should pin down the shelter weight.
The weight now is about 19200. Don't know what the 1100's versus the 900's add to the factor.

It's 0530, so I can see the sun coming up through the flying J diner window. It was cold last night, and I figured out that I can't deploy my army cot inside the truck unless I eject a couple of antenna masts and a ladder, which would disappear quickly at the truck stop. I'll have to work this out when it's time to do the storage shelving inside the box, additional storage up high for those things.

Well, out to have a smoke and then tighten the alternator belts on the truck, and head to Shirley's. The electric fuel pump by the way, used to just 'stop' when the power was shut off. Now it spins down, kind of like how you hear a starter do sometimes. This can be heard; I suppose it's either nice and loosened up or nice and fixing to break. It is pumping, still got power and pressure. Oh well at least it is not likely to totally kill the truck if it goes.

Look at this! - -

http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:67541

It's the top hit for Shirley's Surplus on altavista.

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

Ya that breaky pic is great...specially with the SS website displayed. What more could you want with your breaky? Anyway, be safe today and holla when you're ready to head this way. Don't have too much fun at Shirley's.

alphadeltaromeo

hndrsonj...

Come to ATL (not like you have the choice lol) but there is a really great group of folk this direction. Let us know if you do move to the GA area...you'll get a warm welcome (specially in June, July or August) lol

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As much as I like Flying Js and especially Waffle House, they need to have heart surgeons standing by. Dangit, now I'm craving Waffle House and there isn't one for 30 miles.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After that fine breakfast, out to the truck and to discover that there was but one alternator belt remaining, and it looked pretty chewed up. OK, no problem, that's why I had the spares from TNJ Murray. Except the darn things are too small, there was no way to get them on, unless there's some special tool or what. I tightened the old one as best I could and got directions to the nearest auto parts house some 13 miles away. There, I found one that fit after trying several, and also ripping a huge hole in my trousers due to contortional gyrations I normally do not perform. Only one was available, and it got me through to this point. I did stop at another parts store and get two more of the same number just in case. Not sure what to do with the TNJ murray ones.. !?!?!?!?!!!!! It was frustrating, but I think it might be my truck, not his belts.

Heading towards Mr. Shirleys, I discovered the directions were off a little, and I found the establishment on HWY 41, north of Barnesville. See what mapquest will do to you?

156 pictures were taken, and he has alot of real nice trucks and items. Let me say that there's one deuce with cargo cover and m105 trailer that is apparently excellent!

I'm at ADR's (Andy's) and fixing to turn in. Very kind of him and his wife to let me stay the night, and it's west from Atlanta, so on the way to Dallas. I hope we can do some playing or fixing, whatever the case may be with the truck tomorow.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacing those generator belts can be a PITA.
When finished, make sure your alternator is tight, a couple of bolts on the bracket are very difficult to reach.
When replacing the generator, I find it easier to "hook" the belts on the pully before bolting it in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks