• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sherman in Argentina

Electrons

I'm sure some of you have seen this thing on ebay by now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0582428005&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

sounds interesting: Poyaud V-8 that delivers 520 HP and a new French FTR-L-44/57 of 105 mm cannon

How exactly would someone get this to the US from Argentina? It kind of sounds like a lend lease tank that the brits sold Argentina. I didn't think any of the lend lease stuff could come back?

Attachments

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

Remove the link....

Thanks for losing the link. We all know how to use google. Most of us (ME) don't have the beans to play in this sale, but I know that I can afford enough Kleenex to wipe the drool off, after seeing this. Lotto, oh, Lotto, please give me all 6 numbers, I know some lawyers, who can make anything arrive here, if I just pay what they want!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was almost certainly a lend lease. At any rate, bringing it back to the states would probably require lots of cash and some lengthy knee time witt some gov't officials. I think re-importing that tank is out of reach of the commoner. MAybe the governator could get it back in the states for you!

jpinst

I don't think it would be as difficult as you think. Its value is obviously decreased because of the uncertainty, but you could get a certified declaration in Argentina that it is in private hands, and then arrange in Argentina to ship to the US. You coudl of course check with the Department of Commerce and Customs in Argentina to confrim that it would be OK for importation. This is a very old piece of equipment, and as long as its demilled, it should not be a problem. We imported the remains of a crashed P38 from China a few years back and because nobody was surprised, it was fine.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would check around the ads in MVM and elsewhere for those familiar with importation BEFORE you bid. It is a process, and it takes time and connections in the political system. If you don't have connections, you have to deal with someone who does. If armor importation was easy, everyone would be doing it.

jasonjc

You can import a tank easy,just not a US tank. Some one got a bunch of M5 and had to sell them in eroupe, because he could not get them back here.

Electrons

You can import a tank easy,just not a US tank. Some one got a bunch of M5 and had to sell them in eroupe, because he could not get them back here.
That is a real shame.

We can't bring a US tank back to the US? That's dumb...
Yep. From what I've gathered, it is about impossible to bring back US lend lease armor. But I've heard it is relatively easy to bring back a Russian tank.

Kind of silly imo. After you take the gun off, you just have an armored tractor. Many modern bulldozers would be more destructive. Heck, look at what some countries are doing with Caterpillar D9s. Far more destructive than a Stuart or Sherman imo. And yet, I could go buy one of those...

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that long thing on the turret is not demilled, doesn't that break ebay rules? no guns sold.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
As said, you can not re import US tanks back to the US. Russian and other crap is fair game.

I asked the guy selling it and he said you can but I would have to get the import paperwork ... that will be shot down...

Electrons

You would think that would be worse and more than make them happy. Considering all the rain water it must catch that later runs back down into the tank.

BUT, since it isn't on the forms that they must go by, they probably will not agree with me.

B3.3T

This has been covered at length several times before: US armor can't be imported unless it is going to a registered museum trust/foundation.

Electrons

Until there is an easily found FAQ on the subject, I don't see a reason to avoid talking about it.

Augdog1964

Additonal Info

Actually in the last two years Imports Branch has allowed US Armor to come back into the country... PROVIDED that it is for individual collectors... NOT for resale. They will not allow it to come in if it is for the purpose of making a market with it.

In addition, Russian armor is far from crap... if that was a swipe. If you look, you'll find that most major armor advances came from Russia since WWII. They are built tough, easy to work on, and work quite well. We have always made the mistake of comparing single tanks... Russian knows the T-72 for instance is not match for an M1 Abrams, but 5 T-72s? Thats another matter...

Finally the demil regulations do not require holes in tops of barrels, just a bore sized hole in the high pressure area of the gun, as well as the breech ring cut by torch. When you get import approval they will supply instructions and a diagram.

Thanks...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks