• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Something new in the Yard

moosebgy

Picked this up the other day. I know it isn't quite military but it was at the firehouse at the Coast Guard base on Kodiak. And it is kinda green. It's a 1982 Spartan Crash Rescue 4X4 Firetruck. 492hp Detroit Silver Series engine, Allison auto trans, and I believe it has 13 ton rockwell axles with a detroit locker in the rear and no slip in the front on 52in Michilen tires. And it's fun to drive around. Now I just have to convince the wife it's not her offroad rig.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's pretty cool! How much room is inside? Something that big would make a great camper, but man, if you have to gut the inside of all the fire truck related stuff to make it liveable, it'd be a lot of work!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it still have all the pumps? It should have a foam unit too! Water...fun, Foam...smelly, but fun too! Are all the monitor controlls in tact and working?

moosebgy

As far as the truck goes, it is still all there. 1500gal water tank, 200gal foam tank, dry chemical setup and as far as I can tell the pump is still operational. I haven't tested everything yet, it's on my to do list. It would make quite the off-road camper but would take alot of work to setup. As far as camping out the Knik, I'd hate to get all that glacier silt in the running gear. I'd hate to have to try and replace the axles or transmission, or get it stuck crossing Jim Creek. It doesn't have a winch (yet) and I'd hate to have to pay someone with a rig big enough to pull it out.

ojsdna744

moosebgy said:
As far as camping out the Knik, I'd hate to get all that glacier silt in the running gear. I'd hate to have to try and replace the axles or transmission, or get it stuck crossing Jim Creek.
It's funny how fast I forget the nasty part of off-roading up there and only remember the good. That silt does get absolutely EVERYWHERE! Not sure I'd take the deuce out into it come to think of it. Enjoy your new toy! :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks