• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start issue with deuce

samsimpson

I had notice it was getting harder to start every time I started the deuce. Before I pushed the button and it started right up, which eventually got to push and turning over, release, push and turns over and starts. Sometimes it took 3 tries.

I was driving and it died. Started it back up but then died. I had low fuel in the tank, which I thought was probably the issue since the in tank pump doesn't work.

My dad brought me some diesel, and a guy living near where it died brought me some. I started it up and drove it to my dad's (about 1/4 mile) and it died in front of his house. Added another 11 gallons of diesel, I could get it to start with some pedal, but it would die after a short while. Eventually just wouldn't fire at all.

I have spent the last 2 hours reading the search results so I think I have a good handle on what it could be and what to check.

However, I saw a mention of a fuel cutoff lever and to check that. I cannot find anything about this, like where it is, etc.

It looks like I have fuel at the injection pump (because there seems to be a leak there) so I was thinking it was getting fuel. Before I buy an electric inline pump I just want to check to see if this lever might be the issue.

After typing this I had a thought, is the fuel cutoff lever the one you pull in the cab to kill the motor? If it is, I don't think that is the issue, so my best bet would probably be to get the fuel pump correct?

stumps

However, I saw a mention of a fuel cutoff lever and to check that. I cannot find anything about this, like where it is, etc.

It looks like I have fuel at the injection pump (because there seems to be a leak there) so I was thinking it was getting fuel. Before I buy an electric inline pump I just want to check to see if this lever might be the issue.

After typing this I had a thought, is the fuel cutoff lever the one you pull in the cab to kill the motor? If it is, I don't think that is the issue, so my best bet would probably be to get the fuel pump correct?
You don't want to buy an inline pump, get the proper intank pump. It was specified for a purpose. It allows you flush your fuel filters with the engine off, and to restart the engine easily after you have run out of fuel. No priming is necessary if you have the intank pump.

Without the intank pump, any leaks at all in the fuel line from inside of the tank above the level of the fuel, all the way to the injection pump will allow air into the system, and that will make the engine behave very poorly... if it runs at all.

There is only one fuel cutoff, and that is the one pulled when you shutdown the engine. Because safety compels most people to leave their engine control in the shutdown position, the shaft, and the parts inside of the IP that shut off the fuel, tend to get stuck in that position.

Gimp has explained how to fix that problem a dozen times before, please do a search.

Replace your intank pump, fix the fuel line leaks, replace your fuel filters (and gaskets!), and check the shutdown guts of the injection pump.

-Chuck

samsimpson

Thanks guys. I already did a search for "fuel cutoff lever" and only returned 10 results from this board. None actually pertained to that, seems even if you do a search in quotes here it still finds any of the words, not just the phrase. I will try an advanced search with Gimp as the username (if that is possible, haven't checked here but I know most forums can)

stumps

gimpyrobb to be more precise.

Go to the advanced search, and put gimpyrobb in as the user name... when you start typing gimp, it should give you the options. Put fuel cutoff in as the search terms, and you will find one example.

-Chuck

samsimpson

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.
Awesome thanks! I ordered the filters, should be in tomorrow morning. I do have a fuel pump that was told worked, it is sitting on a bench in my garage. Is there any way to test it out of the tank? I haven't even really looked at it, gonna clean it up tomorrow and mess with it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ehh, it just needs 24v to run, but adapting the 24v source to the plug might be fun to do. It IS possible.

91W350

If you are fighting aldae or.debris in the tank, you may be changing them a lot! Turn you in tank pump on, open the secondary filter drain and see if you get a jet of fuel blowing out. If not, your problem is the pump, plugged filter or hose. At least that would be first on my list. Glen

gimpyrobb

Better yet, pull the petcock and thread in a pressure gauge. You should have about 5-7psi with the motor off. With it running it should be 60-75psi. This isn't an end-all test, they could be ok at idle and not at full throttle.

Yes, I would swap filters(maybe don't throw the current ones away) and also check the air filter too.

samsimpson

Thanks. I had 2 stock fuel pumps, tested one and it worked so put it in. Tested it again with the plug plugged in with the unit outside and it still worked, installed it and it didn't work. I had to leave so didn't have time to test any further. Picked up some extra slow burn fuses and will try again in the morning. Thanks for all the info :)

samsimpson

Ok fuse was good, and after checking every filter to see if they were getting fuel to them, I cracked an injector line and cranked. Eventually all the air was pushed out and it started. Thanks everyone for their help. I haven't tackled the leak issue yet but I just wanted to get it home so I can work on it in my driveway instead of in the grass and sand. Thanks again :)

samsimpson

Yes thanks for all the info! I would also like to add it did take quite a while to get the air out and the motor to fire. So those that come across this with the same issues, don't give up to early :)

noivan

M35a2 wont start after sitting a while

My m35a2 has always started great. After sitting for about 2 months, it wouldnt start, not getting any fuel to injectors. i checked the fuel shut off lever, it was free and in the 7 oclock position, pulled the plug out of the hh and piston was moving and when fuel pump turned on fuel will shoot out of the head where the plug was removed. but when cranking no fuel at all at the injectors. any help much appreciated. Thanks, Gary

gimpyrobb

How much was the plunger(you called it a piston) moving? Sometimes the button falls off the bottom and it moves, but not enough to create the right pressure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks