• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

repairing rusty bed

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the rectangular tubing on the deuce bed is a stock size? I have a couple of rust spots that probably need to be cut out. If I can just cut out the cancer and weld it a new piece it shouldn't be too bad as far as the rust. I also have to fix some damage to the back of the bed where it was backed into a large tree. I'm going to try to use hydraulic jacks to push that back out. but I may have to cut that out too. The floor in the back center is pushed down from the impact. What's the thickness of the bed floor? I'm gonna try to fix it myself first, since my labor is free. I may end up replacing the whole bed though. The tailgate is a lost cause I think.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Can't offer much help on the metal, but I do have a 10klb porta-power kit you can use if ya like. I could bring it to the mid-ohio show somewhere around the 22nd of this month.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a porta power, I'm saving up for a welder. I've already got 220v to the garage. It would be easier to just replace the bed, but the wife likes to have money for paying bills, utilities and other nonsense. But thanks for the offer! 'Course I could always take the deuce down to the firestation and do some "training" with the hydraulic rescue tools....

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the rectangular tubing on the deuce bed is a stock size?....
There is no rectangular tubing anywhere, that I know of. You mean the "pockets" for the vertical troop-seat legs? or the C-channels for the bed frame? I can get you any measurements you want; just shoot some pics of the area in question.

What's the thickness of the bed floor?
See http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/58626-thickness-gauge-steel-used-cargo-bed-floor.html

G.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gringel, the pocket tube are what I'm talking about. There's one or two of them that have rusted through at the bottom.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I'll try to have a small drawing with dims. by tomorrow.
Should be no problem replicating any of the affected parts. Best if you had access to a press brake, of course...!?

G.

A

A/C Cages

Too bad you are not in FL, Ive already reapaired my entire floor and frame on Deuce #2 and #4.

AMX

I got a porta power, I'm saving up for a welder. I've already got 220v to the garage. It would be easier to just replace the bed, but the wife likes to have money for paying bills, utilities and other nonsense. But thanks for the offer! 'Course I could always take the deuce down to the firestation and do some "training" with the hydraulic rescue tools....

Sounds like you need to help the wife get her priorities in order.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't waste your time. Just replace the entire bed. Get a dropside bed while you are at it. I know John WInslow in NC sells nice dropside beds for like $400. I bet you could get an entire bed with troopseats for that if you shop around. I have bought a dropside bed for that price so I know this to be true. If the bed is rusty, who knows what is lurking right below the surface.

AMX

Don't waste your time. Just replace the entire bed. Get a dropside bed while you are at it. I know John WInslow in NC sells nice dropside beds for like $400. I bet you could get an entire bed with troopseats for that if you shop around. I have bought a dropside bed for that price so I know this to be true. If the bed is rusty, who knows what is lurking right below the surface.

Not to mention, the old bed will scrap out for $200+.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't waste your time. Just replace the entire bed. ................................................................................ If the bed is rusty, who knows what is lurking right below the surface.
I must agree 100%!
It makes no sense (other than maybe improve bodywork skills & self-confidence... :smile:) to do extensive repairs on surplus parts you can find in almost new condition for little over scrap value.

Certainly not my case in my area... so I know exactly what's involved!

John, let me know if you still want to fix it.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks