• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce/5 ton ROPS Kit?

powerhouseduece

I though about starting a thread like this but thought it was way too soon. To try and bring the tread "somewhat" back on track, I though I show off my pipeline rack. The main reason I put it on my truck was it would also work as a ROPS. After seeing what gimp did at haspin last year, and gitting into some highly sketchy spots at RC, I wanted more protection then just a soft top.

I still have to fish plate the frame where the rack mounts and add a few more gussets but it works.

Attachments

SEAFIRE

First off I post this with respect to the recent loss....

I've always been concerned about rollovers in our fire deuces as sometimes we go through ditches, inclines, etc.

As the pictures show, even the "factory" hardtop is not that sturdy, these trucks were designed to be able to fold the windshield down, remove the top, to be loaded in a C141/C5 or similar transport.

First pic is the 2003 rollover incident in NM, it killed a young firefighter, 2nd pic was a rollover in Oklahoma courtesy of a fellow member here, all survived. 3rd pic is our M35A2, I know the exterior bars would not be asthetic to someone wishing to preserve the look of their Military M35, I post these pics for information only.

Attachments

deuceaid

Banned
Ive been watchen both treads, and I dont like This tread to venture over to other ....all that aside..

......what about a ROPS/FOPS structure.........if you dont know what FOPS is then learn up....... But I will take almost anything ( round, mandredel bent, DOM tubing) before a cut-hack-weld set up.... but I would take even that befor a hard or soft top....

SEAFIRE

Im pretty sure a C5 can handle a deuce with the windshield up ;):razz:
but yes thats what it was designed for...
True, the C5 shouldn't be a problem with the top on...
I'm an Air Force Brat, grew up on air force bases in Louisiana, New Mexico, Alaska, Oklahoma & Texas. My father worked on the C141A & B, C5A, and E3. Somewhere I have a picture he had of an M35 or M35A1 ( no exhaust out the fender ) being loaded into what I think is a C141 with the windshield down and top removed.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread....

Last edited:

Varyag

How about instead of attached to the frame, build something that is technically inside the cab that would just take the beating. So, even if the cab was disconnected from the frame, it would still protect the occupants inside just by covering them 360 in a " ball. Our m1114s in iraq used the same idea for IED protection. It is a lot easier to build something that you could build around the driver rather then try to get its strength from the frame, and you could still mount a 50 on it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I would not support the windshield frame. My top bows are extra tall so that I can walk under them. The replacement cage will have the same profile. The line going from the cage to the engine block shows the projected area of protection for the cab.

What do you think?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
Right, make sure the bed stays attached and that you have the restraints for the driver and passenger.
You don't want the windshield folded into your lap, though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inclinometer doesn't protect you, but may prevent a roll-over when driving off-road if used right (=paid attention to).
Here are my solutions and an article from PS mag (the Unimog with back hoe is sensitive to side slopes).

Attachments

First off, my condolences to the family of Shootiniron. The loss of any member is a tragedy no matter the cause.

I drive a CJ-7 in addition to my M35A2, so this is important to me, since neither of them have adequate rollover protection. However, it seems to me that something similar to the aftermarket roll bar upgrades/ roll cages for CJ's could be developed for the Deuce.

I'm not an engineer, but this doesn't seem like it should be too hard to do. Wouldn't it be fairly easy to fab a cage using tubing no larger than 2 - 2.5"? Build it like the ones for Jeeps. Run it from the floor basically outlining the doorway on each side of the cab, cross-brace it in the back and overhead. Not sure if you would attach it to the floor itself or have to cut holes thru the floor to attach to the frame. I suppose it would be a problem to brace it in the rear, but surely something could be done.

If this post seems too simplistic I apologize for not being more familiar with how this problem can be solved.

The part about the bed coming off worries me. I assumed (yes, I know I shouldn't) that it was attached well enough that it would not detach easily in a crash.

LC

dozer1

I though about starting a thread like this but thought it was way too soon. To try and bring the tread "somewhat" back on track, I though I show off my pipeline rack. The main reason I put it on my truck was it would also work as a ROPS. After seeing what gimp did at haspin last year, and gitting into some highly sketchy spots at RC, I wanted more protection then just a soft top.

I still have to fish plate the frame where the rack mounts and add a few more gussets but it works.
For anybody who might remember some 1980's commercials..THERE'S THE BEEF..... nice..most will probably want something less because of not needing it to be dual purpose but what you did looks like it would really help!

AZDeuce

Being 6'4" and 340 Lbs, the deuce cab for me, is already a little tight. Any roll over protection would have to be outside of the cab. I envison four uprights coming off of extensions mounted to the frame, either through holes in the running boards, or fenders, or both depending on which side of the truck, going up and tying into a rectangled section several inches above the soft or hard top, suitable for supporting a m49 or m66 ring.

This would give you roll over protection....er, I mean a good offroad light mounting position, Plus it would eliminate the stress on the cab of a conventional ring mount set up.......just an idea.........

yeager1

Here is a 5 minute, quick and very crude drawing of a roll bar just to get an idea across. This would be very effective in low speed roll over and would still significantly increase protection in any roll. Just the basic tractor design. Make it out of 6" square tubing with a heavy wall, add some gussets from the bar to the frame plate. All you need to do is move the bed back a few inches.

Attachments

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a quick search and found this. Prefer to see A/C Cages solution, but it does show that it can be done without getting too extreme of a structure.

I do not work or support this company, just an example of what is out there. ROPS & FOPS Canopies for Trucks
That my friend is designed to prevent falling objects from crushing the the cab. Sorry if I seem a bit blunt or rude but that thing will just fold one direction or the other in a roll-over.

ranchhopper

First off I post this with respect to the recent loss....

I've always been concerned about rollovers in our fire deuces as sometimes we go through ditches, inclines, etc.

As the pictures show, even the "factory" hardtop is not that sturdy, these trucks were designed to be able to fold the windshield down, remove the top, to be loaded in a C141/C5 or similar transport.

First pic is the 2003 rollover incident in NM, it killed a young firefighter, 2nd pic was a rollover in Oklahoma courtesy of a fellow member here, all survived. 3rd pic is our M35A2, I know the exterior bars would not be asthetic to someone wishing to preserve the look of their Military M35, I post these pics for information only.
Pic 2 in this post just confirms my belief that anything over cab height as in the tanks on that truck will protect the cab somewhat in a rollover this is the way I will go if I decide to retrofit my truck. I will put a four point into the bed and add to more bars crossed behind the cab for side to side rigidity. I dont think anything built by man could have helped in the event that took our follow SS members life in utah just by the violent impact the truck recieved at the rear starting the chain of events that ended in this tragedy. Most are better engineers and fabricators than I am this is just my view of things and as the old saying goes something is always better than nothing at all.

jleasure

For what it is worth, I owned a Komatsu dozer (10,000 ish lbs). It was built in Japan and had no ROPS available when imported to the US. A guy in MO fabbed a "canopy" that would certainly help in a rollover. Much like what has been described here, it was 6" square steel, 4 posts, and heavy brackets attaching it to the machine. It was already installed when I bought the dozer and looked like a factory job. I recognize that the dozer operates at slower speeds, but increased protection, even if imperfect should be an improvement. I will try to dig up some pictures and try to figure out who made it. Remember, it was merely a beefy canopy to protect my bald head from the sun. I recall the seller telling me he paid $900 for the unit including installation in 2008.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks