• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pros and Cons of zipper boots

my blood flows OD

I replaced the ones in my bobbed deuce. I used non zipper. It wasn't at all a complicated job just a lot of heavy parts.14.00's on mraps with adapter plate to start. I used the standard rubber type from Boyce. I put 6k miles on in the 18 mos. that followed with no issues and then sold the truck.

rustystud

I've never seen any of these in person but from the pictures I've seen on the Internet and given that they were originally coated leather I wonder if they could be made from heavy Cordura or one of the other ballistics. The abrasion resistance of that material is good, and it's waterproof / greaseproof. Could be doubled or tripled or backed with tarp if it needs foundation. Temperature resistance would be poor with Cordura though. I sew heavy things for other projects and these don't look that complicated but I am mostly just wondering out loud.
I still think silicone is the way to go. It just needs to be made from a heavier grade then the ones on the market now. Though a Kevlar material with a silicone layer might just be the ticket. Keep the silicone layer on the inside and the stronger Kevlar material on the outside.

rustystud

I've never seen any of these in person but from the pictures I've seen on the Internet and given that they were originally coated leather I wonder if they could be made from heavy Cordura or one of the other ballistics. The abrasion resistance of that material is good, and it's waterproof / greaseproof. Could be doubled or tripled or backed with tarp if it needs foundation. Temperature resistance would be poor with Cordura though. I sew heavy things for other projects and these don't look that complicated but I am mostly just wondering out loud.
Hey I was wondering if you tried to make up some boots ? I truly think that idea of making them out of a 1000 Denier Cordura would be a fantastic idea ! I would buy a set right now ! In fact I would probably buy three sets from you. Remember temperature is not much of a concern on the axle there. The rubber ones held up OK. So I'm sure Cordura would work just fine there to.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey I was wondering if you tried to make up some boots ? I truly think that idea of making them out of a 1000 Denier Cordura would be a fantastic idea ! I would buy a set right now ! In fact I would probably buy three sets from you. Remember temperature is not much of a concern on the axle there. The rubber ones held up OK. So I'm sure Cordura would work just fine there to.
Be careful before you invest too much without a good test. I don’t think Cordura is water proof. I think they offer some water resistant coatings, but for water proof aplications it’s usually paired with other materials such as Gortex.

aleigh

jbulach - neither leather or cordua is intrinsically waterproof, despite the adage about cows being waterproof, both require treatments. Treated cordura is waterproof at everyday static pressures, like if you made a bag out of it and filled it, it would work like a canteen. Not all cordura is the same. Another alternative maybe would be truck tarp, which is intrinsically waterproof, but has less abrasion resistance.

In terms of cost, this came up because I have a Juki and sew enough cordura that I have rolls of it laying around. I can sew leather for that matter. Rusty had mentioned the boots were made of leather, which I thought was kind of quaint, and so we were just sort of wondering what alternatives might work. But no I never sewed one up. I don't have a deuce so I've never seen more than a picture of one of these boots.

rustystud

jbulach - neither leather or cordua is intrinsically waterproof, despite the adage about cows being waterproof, both require treatments. Treated cordura is waterproof at everyday static pressures, like if you made a bag out of it and filled it, it would work like a canteen. Not all cordura is the same. Another alternative maybe would be truck tarp, which is intrinsically waterproof, but has less abrasion resistance.

In terms of cost, this came up because I have a Juki and sew enough cordura that I have rolls of it laying around. I can sew leather for that matter. Rusty had mentioned the boots were made of leather, which I thought was kind of quaint, and so we were just sort of wondering what alternatives might work. But no I never sewed one up. I don't have a deuce so I've never seen more than a picture of one of these boots.
Some of the "early" boots on my 1954 REO's had rubber coated leather. All the boots after have all been rubber I believe.
So "aleigh" , if you had a pattern you could make up some boots out of "Cordura" ?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My .02 don't replace you boots with leaking or older style axle seal that leaks gear oil into the boot and sits there. Don't fill you knuckle with grease that sits in the boot / knuckle and breaks down the rubber if you have cross style U joints. Don't use any boots made in China.

Last edited:

77 AMG

Pretty much what I am getting out of this as well. So, those of us that are running the old "ball" style shafts are going to get pretty darn GOOD at doing a "boot job", it seems....

Last edited:

rustystud

My .02 don't replace you boots with leaking or older style axle seal that leaks gear oil into the boot and sits there. Don't fill you knuckle with grease that sits in the boot / knuckle and breaks down the rubber if you have cross style U joints. Don't use any boots made in China.
Spot on ! Especially the China part !
I only use "Synthetic" grease anymore. It takes a long time before it even starts to think about separating.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never used them, but if there like all the others they are made in china too. Not many OEM boots left anymore. The newer silicone ones are really good. Just be careful as they can rip real easy !
Ok, what about this idea? Put the silicone boots on and then put the Chinese rubber ones over that. Silicone boot keeps in the juices and the rubber keeps things that tear away from the silicone.

Any chance that would work?

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you'd really struggle to get one stretched over the other, let alone lined-up over the grooves well enough to get good contact with the rings. Then, if you had rings large enough, getting the rings over both boots and lined up with the grooves... oh man.
As others have said, keep the grease off of them as best you can. Also, try not to park the truck with the wheels turned to one side or the other, as that will stress the boots and can make them tear in short order.
I still believe boots made of sunbrella/nylon material would be best. Next time I need one replaced, if Bulldogger doesn't beat me to it, I plan on making that happen, as I stated here on 11/16/18; https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ce-this-week&p=2175011&viewfull=1#post2175011

Last edited:

Nomad1

Also when replace boots make sure to at least put the factory boot gaurds on. There is a company that make a 2 piece gaurd the covers more of the boot.Also proper clamp placement is a must and lock them down!

davidb56

thats odd to claim grease breaks down the rubber boots, when there is a hundred million axle shafts packed full of grease in most newer automobiles on the road. The life expectancy seems to be around the 5 year range for mine, which considering that they are also rotating too, unlike the deuce. My old Jeep wagoner boots lasted many years too. Must be the cheap chink material used on the deuce now. I switched to silicon boots a week after I bought the truck.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
There is, Oh My, 900 places to read about zipper boots.
I did find the TM
I noticed that nomenclature is "dust boots", means no oil or grease and water is suspect but for sure not mud.
So everybody pulls the plug (as in the TM) when greasing the front end so as not to get grease in the dust boots?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks