• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C Recovery Ft. Riley 07072011

91W350

I won a M35A2C from Ft Riley a couple of weeks ago. My friend, Karl Kostman, from the big city of Fargo ND was actually going to drive his Corvette to Salina and go with me on the recovery. What a guy! He offered to drive 601 miles one way, just to tag along.

I did not preview the truck prior to the sale, I walked through the trucks a couple of months ago and was told the M35A2C had a freeze on it. I commented that it was sad that truck was leaving the states.

Then it appeared on the GL listing. No manufacturer listed, no model number, no Multifuel, just a pretty blank and generic 6X6 Cargo truck listing. The photos had it in the corner of the lot with weeds growing around it and the truck had wet spots from a recent rain. I had to bid.... you know the rest of that story!

Last week I was transporting a young man to Central Missouri and we stopped to look at the truck. The fluids were good, tires fair, top flopping in the breeze, interior nice, body straight, generally a nice truck. Easy recovery coming up!

The EUC cleared yesterday. I called Karl and talked to him, he could come down next week. I would not have minded waiting a week, but our schedule at work would have made it more like a month. It was today or have somebody else snag the truck for me.

My old locker partner from Salina High Central, it was the only Salina High back then... but we do not really need to go there... Anyway, he was in town with nothing to do, he likes my green iron and jumped at the chance to go.

We rolled out at about 0800 and headed to Riley. I had called for an appointment yesterday, but was not sure I could take today off. We stopped in a rest area and called to let them know we were coming.

Rolled into the GL got signed in and headed out for the recovery. "That is not your truck." What? It is the only M35A2C on the entire lot, the one with 563 hours, it has to be. Back to the office for some paper shuffling.

Got the paperwork straightened out, then there was a dead M35A3 parked in front of it. I brought jumper cables and planned to drag the C out of the hole and jump it. DRMO came over with a Hummer and slaved off the A3 and I jokingly said he could slave the one behind it too. He pulled the A3 out, drove the Hummer in and slaved off the C. It fired on about the second compression stroke and the whistler was alive and well. That's right folks, I have a screamer now. Sweet sound, but I had to plug up early. It is much louder than my D turbo. So much for videotaping the initial fire up...

We drove out of the lot, turned in our badges, signed out and headed home.This was very uneventful. The truck drives great, it sounds great, it runs cool, it has no power compared to my old truck. I found that out as soon as we turned south for the Interstate. That hill going up out of the river valley made me stay in fourth gear. The other deuce, that one behind me turning the skies black with copious amounts of smoke will pull a M1008 up that hill accelerating in 5th gear.

The C has a couple of shady tires on it, so we ran 35 to 40 mph most of the way. I have a few new Titans to clean things up with. We stopped in Junction City and checked the tires and hubs, everything was cool, we stopped a little west of US 77 and checked everything again, it was dripping diesel, everything else was cool. We stopped in Chapman and ate lunch at the Shamrock Cafe. I left it run as I had shut it down while rolling earlier and had to clutch start it. There is a long hill west of Chapman and I made it to about 1900 in fourth gear when I crested it. Looking in the mirrors for smoke, I could not see any off of the C, the other deuce, now that thing was rolling the coal, he caught me quickly!

After lunch, we rolled into Abilene and stopped for a drink and to check everything over, it is all good.... headed on home to Salina.

Along the way we got into a race with a very fast red dog. He must be able to run about 35, he hung with us to the end of his property.

The UPRR is just south of Old US 40 and a returning coal train had a couple of engineers hanging out the window waving and blasting the air horns. We both blasted back and waved.

Just east of Salina we actually caught up with a Dodge Dynasty and had to slow down. Rather than try to pass, we just followed for about two miles to our turn. Through the hills, then into town on East Crawford Road.

My buddy had caught on to how much stronger the old deuce runs and he was laying back on me, just waiting to sling shot up on me in the hills east of town. It was cool to see the smoke blowing out of the old truck, the C was smoking, but nothing like the old deuce does. He ran up on me pretty quickly.

We stopped at a friend's car lot and let him and some of the shop guys drool over it. I think I could have sold it right there, they thought it sounded so cool... and it does!

I have a few things to fix, the E brake cable is seized up. The fuel leak and the front of the top needs to be sewn back together. The top is good, the stitching gave it up. She is in the back yard now...

I found some documents under the seat, born 5-26-97, OK 5-27-87 Standard axles, with heater, rustproof, silicone brake fluid, split brake system, Government engine, U.S. Government Inspection, ith 5933788 warranty plate.

There was a work order for a new wiring harness and ignition switch at 9008 miles. Looks like the paper trail ends July 7 2009.

I like the way the bows store in the front of the box, I do not like the T bolt release for the tail gate. Photos to follow... Glen

gunboy1656

Glad it was uneventful. I never realized how little power the "C" had compared to my "D" until a friend brought his truck over, we were rolling down the road and I was outrunning him right from the start.

I just had my top re-sewn for 65 bucks at a boat shop. Actually I have to go pick it up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have changed from "D" to "C" turbos on several trucks with no discerable difference in power. I believe fuel rate is the big factor. Sounds good Glen, I love it when a plan comes together.

91W350

I forgot to mention that! On the Truck Production Order is says ASAF right across the top of the page. DS Cargo, Soft Top, X14 Forest Green, Wet Batteries, W/O Winch.

I also like the way my old truck's brake and clutch pedals are adjusted not to return so high, this one has a stroke and a half on the clutch!

Photos... Off the cell phone....

Attachments

91W350

Some more off of the camera..... the guy in the pickup had a cool looking dog riding along, the dog was about out of range when I finally got the camera turned on.

The old stone house is south of I70 at Junction City and a little west on old US40 from US77. I always wondered about the history here as the UPRR runs close by, as does old US 40, the old military trail and the BOD line. Glen

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

Nice pictures. Congrats on the A2C. As far as the power difference, are we talking about a LDT vs an LDS perhaps? Maybe the deuce just needs some injector cleaner, fresh diesel and some driving.

91W350

They are both LDTs. It does have a little rattle in the engine like injector clicking, I will get a few miles and fresh fuel on it this next couple of weeks. I also will replace the filters, the fuel looks really nice and clear. I know it has been idle for some time, I also know that the old deuce is an unusually good running one. It has lower oil pressure as well, it sits rock solid on 30 pounds, cold idle, running down the road, high idle, I am wondering about the sending unit. Wipers work good though! That cab cover puffing up over the windshield makes a nice cooling aid when you drive through a small shower. :beer: The new one has a White in it, the old one is a Continental. I did not check to see if the FDC has been bypassed. Glen

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Nice looking truck Glen, I thought about it but have run out of space. Any joy on the bolster parts?

91W350

I think we have any bolster parts you might need. They went high today, wow!

I feel pretty good about this truck, it runs and drives really nice, good and smooth, it feels nice and tight still. I know the locals were drooling over it. Glad to have it, now to find some nice 11.00s to single it out with. I want to build a bobber, but both of my deuces are really nice and I hate to butcher a nice one. Guess there are thousands of nice deuces out there, still, it just seems wrong somehow. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks