• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow vehicle safety

Chief_919

In light of recent events, I think a serious discussion about safety and slow moving vehicles is in order.

Idiots on the road are getting faster and faster, while our OD iron isn't. And while we are perfectly legal to run it, and people should be watching out, the more we can do to be seen the better.

When I was on the fire department I saw first hand that people on the higways are idiots. I was almost killed several times by people who couldn't see a large red truck full of flashing lights.

So lets share ideas on easy ways we can be more visible to approaching motorists.

LED lights are a good start. I think from this point on when I am going to be any place where the speed limit is over 55 I am going to hang a VS-17 panel off the back. It is military so it fits the look, but the bright orange panel really stands out and catches the eye.

Here is a pic of a VS-17 on a Bradley to give you an idea.

Anyone else have some good ideas on how to increase the visibility of our slow moving stuff on the highway?

Attachments

swampzr2

That just looks like a bright orange duffel bag. Most fast driving idiots are crotch rockets, and sports cars. If they rear-ended me in my deuce, they would probably slide right under the truck!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Flashing LED "Whoopie Lights" on the rear of the vehicle are the best defense against drooling mongoloids that are too busy doing everything except concentrating on the task at hand.

If they do hit you they can't say they weren't warned sufficiently.

mtnman

Shootiniron and I work(ed) for a heavy highway construction company, adding lights, flags, reflectors, etc. will not assure that some ignorant Bastard wont kill you :soapbox:but it DEFINATELY helps them to see you better 2cents

Chief_919

I have also considered taking 2 LED composite lights and mounting them to a bracket so they can be hooked up higher to give better brake light visibility. I have a long trailer cable from a dolly set, so it would be a simple one that could be set up in seconds on a truck. Just like the light bar for a wrecker, but just hang it on your truck for better visibility.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flashing amber warning lights fit the mil look and will complement a VS17 nicely. They do help catch the eye of Joe and Sally Latte zooming around mostly oblivious to their surroundings.

I added reflective convoy panels (red and yellow) to the back mudflaps on my truck along with the rear facing lollipop turn-sigs on the front of my truck. I also use my convoy lights on a regular basis on the freeways (Vegas drivers are horrible). Another safety item I added was backup lights and an alarm.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Convoy when possible.
Have a chase vehicle driving behind to keep a good open space.
Pick the time of day, don't drive at "rush hour".
Drive during day time hours when possible.
Don't drive in "bad" weather.

I consider my bikini top a safety factor since I have 360 degrees of unobstructed viewing.
Good mirrors. Remember that your right side mirror can't be adjusted while driving.
I use my 4-way flashers extensively in long hills and when someone gets too close to you from behind etc.
LED tail lights and reflecting tape.
Side marker lights and front side mounted turn signals.

Close to 20,000 miles on the highways in my deuce.

Attachments

Last edited:

JB

I drive my jeep mostly in my neighborhood but i put a magnetic slow moving triangle attacked to spare with a backup cord wrapped just in case. Also installed m151 mirrors and fold up the baack of the jeeps soft top for better visibility. I also have a yellowrevolving light on my tow vehicle and use magnetic brake lights when towing too. Good topic i have picked up a few ideas.[thumbzup]

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving with your service drive lights on. (daytime)

Rewiring your front park lamps to be on with the headlights on, is also a good idea.

Defensive driving.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are a great idea especially on a truck or trailer you are just picking up. Gimpy had some red ones at the GA Rally.

Flashing LED "Whoopie Lights" on the rear of the vehicle are the best defense against drooling mongoloids that are too busy doing everything except concentrating on the task at hand.

If they do hit you they can't say they weren't warned sufficiently.
Again, a great idea. The come in such small self contained assys nowadays. Don't buy cheap junk. I use Whelen on my stuff.

I have also considered taking 2 LED composite lights and mounting them to a bracket so they can be hooked up higher to give better brake light visibility. I have a long trailer cable from a dolly set, so it would be a simple one that could be set up in seconds on a truck. Just like the light bar for a wrecker, but just hang it on your truck for better visibility.
Maybe a little different but similar, m35- tom has/had dual tail lights either on his 621 or millenium deuce. No good reason this can't work. Consider LEDs.

I added reflective convoy panels (red and yellow) to the back mudflaps on my truck along with the rear facing lollipop turn-sigs on the front of my truck. I also use my convoy lights on a regular basis on the freeways (Vegas drivers are horrible). Another safety item I added was backup lights and an alarm.
These are called delineator plates and are available through a few sources. Rick Larsen comes to mind. Another great idea

Rewiring your front park lamps to be on with the headlights on, is also a good idea.

Defensive driving.
What Eric says is absolutely imperative. Ever seen a convoy without lights?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ziggy has a 816 he got from GL, with a mil. moded second set of tail lights mounted just under the warning light plates, this way when doing a recovery, the tail/turn/brake lighs can still be seen, along with the tow lights. GREAT IDEA. This mod is now on my to do list. If I do another trip I'll get some pics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ziggy has a 816 he got from GL, with a mil. moded second set of tail lights mounted just under the warning light plates, this way when doing a recovery, the tail/turn/brake lighs can still be seen, along with the tow lights. GREAT IDEA. This mod is now on my to do list. If I do another trip I'll get some pics.
Need taillights?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Defensive driving.
There is a reason for this,
With the FLAT paint, the vehicle blends in with it's surroundings and hard to see, with head/tail lights on, thay break up that flat spot in other drivers vision, I saw it first hand on this last convoy, thay make a BIG DIFFERENCE

dittle

I ALWAYS drive with my lights on and use flashers if I have to pull over. Simple fact of the matter it doesn't matter how many lights/reflectors you add to a vehicle YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID (the driver in the other car).

There are more state patrol cars wrecked up here (and in other states I'm sure) when sitting along the road with all of their flashy lights on then driving down the road and those stand out a heck of a lot better than anything I would have on my deuce. LED taillights may help some when just driving down the road (assuming you're running with lights on) but it still won't make a difference if the idiot behind the wheel can't see a 13,000lb truck.....just saying. Night time is a different story but I'm assuming we're talking about daytime additions in this thread.

Like Eric said driving techniques will be difference maker, possibly more so than lights and reflectors. I am personally an aggressive defensive driver.....I don't let other cars (when possible) cause a situation around me that would cause an emergency on my part (cutting me off/ramp merging retards/etc) from the front and side. I am also always checking my mirrors all the way around the truck every 5 seconds or so, a habit I got from driving semi-tractors and trailers so I hope to avoid a rear-end issue. Won't stop every issue but I've had several close calls over the past couple of years that probably would have ended up very badly if I didn't use those techniques.

Last edited:

jasonjc

For a cheap fix to the old taillights is to paint the inside of them with crome or silver paint. This will make them alot brighter. And get a polish kit and clean up the lens when you have them off.

Every little bit helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks