• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow vehicle safety

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, but the wrecked wrecker is still wrecked, though I'l collect stuff for the list, have enough stuff now for at least 5 items on the list. NEVER HAVE ENOUGH LIST STUFF
In that case, see me at the GA Rally. I'm tripping over them here.

motomacguyver

This brings to mind that I have some of the flashing taillights for bicycles/joggers. These new ones are BRIGHT. This might be a good removable, portable, cheap attention grabber. Yes you have to turn them on and off by hand but you should be doing a walk around anyhow.2cents

3dAngus

Flashing LED taillights would be the best. People sometimes just get hypnotized on the road sometimes, especially on the Interstate, and run right into vehicles. With flashing rear lights, I think would be a lot more helpful than anything. Anyone know where I can get some to wire up for 24vdc operation?

Also, 50mph is just to slow to be driving on the Interstate. Sorry, but it's dangerous to all drivers who are accustomed to driving 70-75mph. I will not drive my deuce on the Interstate, but stay on the state highways instead. Not like I'm going to be in a hurry in it anyway.

dittle

50 is slow on state highways, only difference is rate of closure is 10 - 15 mph versus 20 - 25 mph (or more). I run my deuce at 55 - 58 mph all day long on the interstate and state roads to minimize the closure rate but you can't totally get rid of it.

3dAngus

Wish my deuce would go 58mph. Top speed is about 52 on a nice M35A3 running 2700 rpms. I guess what they say about the A2 outrunning the A3 is true.

Our state highways are 55mph and I am safe there, but there are some with divided highways and 4 lane with medians rated at 65mph.

Emmett

At least in Florida, driving with your 4 way flashers on is illegal. I have seen where idiots have run into the back of school buses, painted bright yellow with LED flasing lights.
No matter how hard you try ther is some idiot talking on a phone not paying attention and will plow into you regardless how many lights you have on.
Service (head) lights do make you more visible to the idiot that is about to pull out in front of you requiring you to test the brake system of your MV and yes delenator plates and other reflectors do work to an extent.

All in all, you can decorate your MV with all the gizmos out there but someone will still be able to run right up your rear and claim they didn't see you.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just look a the TIGGER event, school bus pulls out in front of a BIG WHITE SEMI in broad daylight, or my event on my NE ride, a beater little pu RACES to pull between the burb and my 915, I was so close I could NOT see his rear window over my hood, again in broad daylight. there is no way to stop this kind of driver, well there is a way for the good of other people on the road but due to site rules ?????

armytruck63

At least in Florida, driving with your 4 way flashers on is illegal. I have seen where idiots have run into the back of school buses, painted bright yellow with LED flasing lights.
There have been studies that have shown that drunk drivers often head TOWARDS flashing emergency lights.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even though the interstates are usually posted at 70, in the east, there are enough hills, turns, exits and other vehicles to help keep drivers a bit more alert (not by much). In the western part of the country there's less traffic (unless in a metro area) and you can see much farther ahead, which can lead to 'road hypnosis'. For example, in South Carolina the longest I can see on the interstate is a stretch that is 2.1 miles long, going down one hill, over a river and back up the other side (I-20 between mm 62 and 64). I've been on I-8 and I-15 in California where I could see over 22 miles of the interstate in front of me (Imperial Valley on I-8, and around Baker, CA on I-15). Lots of difference between the two conditions. Even so, I'm going to Tractor Supply to look at the > Slow Moving Vehicle Emblem, Metal - 2830037 | Tractor Supply Company

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the basic theory figured out for my REAR-END COLLISION AVOIDANCE & IDIOT EXTERMINATION System....

.... I'm just trying to decide which VARIANT would work best.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
vote for number 6

also saw on site a while back where someone had towed artillary or a cannon that had a sign on the rear that said" I your are close enough to read this, you are also close enough to be in the cross hairs"

Last edited:

zout

There are all LED lights on our 109. Be aware in GA you need a permit for any flashing light that is used as a warning light - the cost is $2 per yr.

Great thread.

1redgmc

Around here - NIGHT TIME is the worst - even on secondary roads. After two near misses (idiots from the rear) on the Interstate (I-81) I avoid driving on it even in daylight. Speed limit is 70 MPH and most are running 75-80 MPH and I am shocked at the number of people I see texting and driving. These are the idiots that scare me most. YES - I have done it, and I was an idiot fool to do so.

I'm headed out to Tractor Supply to snag a magnetic LED light. Thanks for the link. That will be perfect!

:beer:

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Around here - NIGHT TIME is the worst - even on secondary roads. After two near misses (idiots from the rear) on the Interstate (I-81) I avoid driving on it even in daylight. Speed limit is 70 MPH and most are running 75-80 MPH and I am shocked at the number of people I see texting and driving. These are the idiots that scare me most. YES - I have done it, and I was an idiot fool to do so.

I'm headed out to Tractor Supply to snag a magnetic LED light. Thanks for the link. That will be perfect!

:beer:

Are those LED's 24v???? or just 12V?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I relocated my taillights to a higher and wider configuration and installed LED's back in April. I also applied "conspicuity" (AKA: conspic) tape to the mudguards (view pics in the thread posted below). For added roadside safety, I applied "conspic" tape to the inside edge of the driver's and passenger's door. When the doors are swung open they can be more readily seen.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-mods-hot-rodding/67691-m818-w-bed-taillight-relocation.html

I always run with full service drive on. I recently completed full installation of all LED lighting. I also applied "school bus" yellow tape to the outer edges of the front bumper for added visibility (see pics with second link below). A night shot of rear "conspic" tape can also be seen here (first link below).

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/63315-new-looks-hannibal.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/63315-new-looks-hannibal-2.html

Last edited:

kastein

There have been studies that have shown that drunk drivers often head TOWARDS flashing emergency lights.
I have noticed this - when I am extremely tired and driving the tendency is for the lights to attract my eyes, and it is difficult to walk or drive somewhere you aren't looking. This is why I pull over and take a 15 minute nap, a tree watering break, a food break, just get out and stretch, anything to wake myself back up if I find myself getting tired or inattentive.

What I would love to do is find one of those "your speed is" radar signs in the trash at the DPW, repair it, and modify it to warn me if it picks up anything closing with me at greater than say 10 miles per hour. If I hear the warning, check the mirrors and prepare to dive for the emergency lane...

jasonjc

vote for number 6

also saw on site a while back where someone had towed artillary or a cannon that had a sign on the rear that said" I your are close enough to read this, you are also close enough to be in the cross hairs"

Was there not a thread were some one hit a towed artillary pice.

Metternacht

An average text message takes 5 seconds to write/read, at 55 MPH that is the length of a football field. So no matter what you have on the back of your truck, LED lights flashing in time to an uptempo beat with strippers on poles, if they aren't looking they won't see it.

I fully believe in all the ideas here. and would implement many of them if I had a deuce to drive, and many can be used on other vehicles and trailers so keep them coming. My point is that, as has been said before, you can't fix stupid drivers, and the problem is that you can't control the actions of others. And if they aren't looking then they won't see, if they don't see then they can't avoid you.

I have added one of those 4 function under tailgate light bars to the back of my Chevy truck mounted high on the rear of my Can-Back topper to improve visibility, particularly at night. It has been useful when towing trailers as it adds another set of lights to be seen. I am looking for a better solution, anyone have a source for LED lights in red and yellow that are 6" long by 1" tall that I could use to build a better light bar?

Be safe out there.

Some interesting links:
Text Messaging and Driving - Texting Can Wait | AT&T

Media & Research - California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS)

1redgmc

Are those LED's 24v???? or just 12V?
Heck, the online product description doesn't say.

I'm kinda hoping it is battery operated so no wires!

I'll let you know after I get back from TSC. I have a DC Power Inverter mounted in the cab - so I have plenty of 12V power circuits, but again - I'd rather be wireless.

I haven't figured out wireless power just yet...

rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks