• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow vehicle safety

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This, or Pawnshop's 1009 with the magnetic version, is usually Tail End Charlie when the LSMVPA is on the move.
To comply with Texas law, all the flashing lights are amber, the clear lenses on the front are spotlights only. You can have flashing (NOT rotating) red lights to the rear so long as they flash together (not alternating), but I didn't want to mess with that.

In my case, I actually mounted the lightbar 'backwards'. Most bars are designed to give maximum light to the front, since that is where an emergency vehicle wants it. I wanted the maximum rotating light output to the rear, since it is warning of what is ahead. This type lightbar has so much light available, we usually don't turn all of it on unless we pull over.

When operating independently, many of us use the magnetic battery powered pancake amber LED flashers.

Cheers

Attachments

kastein

An average text message takes 5 seconds to write/read, at 55 MPH that is the length of a football field. So no matter what you have on the back of your truck, LED lights flashing in time to an uptempo beat with strippers on poles, if they aren't looking they won't see it. http://ots.ca.gov/Media_and_Research/Campaigns/Distracted_Driving.asp
To add fuel to the fire I have texted and driven. I can type on my phone without looking at the keypad except for a fraction of a second every 8 letters or so to spellcheck. I keep my eyes on the road for more time while texting than I do while checking my mirrors preparing for a merge.

I simply cannot believe people will text and drive when it means not looking at the road at all. That's a recipe for disaster.

Flyingvan911

I have reflectors stuck onto magnetic sheets. I can put them on for road use and take them off for driving around those with common sense. I will post more pics tomorrow. The yellow are FRA-224 reflectors like on the sides of railroad cars. The red is the same stuff just without any markings. I got both off of e-bay along with the magnetic sheets.

Some people would drive into the sun for not paying attention if there was a road that long. I try to stay in the right lane as much as possible and merge into large openings. I also try to merge a little early so I can pick and choose the situation a little better.

Attachments

1redgmc

Bought the TSC magnetic light. Takes (4) AA batteries. Sticks good, but I think I'll add a simple safety tether just for good measure. Would hate the fact of it coming off and hitting someones windshield more than losing it.

Picture on left is what you'll see in the store. I found it over in the aisle where SMV stuff is - not where other (trailer) lights are.

It is bright! I captured it flashing on the first try! If you blink your eyes while looking at the picture, you'll get an idea of how it works.

:razz:

Two modes, flashing - and full on. Full on is slightly dimmer than when flashing - presumably to conserve battery power. Will test to see how long it lasts on a set of Duracells. Has nice fitting rubber seals for battery compartment and lens. Made in China - but quality is surprisingly good. Kinda like a huge bicycle rear safety strobe. Flashes moderately fast - which is good attention getter. Kinda like how your 4-ways flash on your POV.

I'm happy with it so far! Will test it out real time and let y'all know how it works. I'll still avoid the Interstate!

Attachments

1redgmc

Oh I almost forgot!!!

Rolled by a yard sale and spied some ammo cans. I have plenty of those but thought if they have cans, maybe they have something else I need.

I didn't see anything so I asked the lady if she had any military items. She said "I think there is something over there" and pointed to a table with Tupperware and dishes.

I walked over and found these! New in box, with keys - a total of SIX.

How much?

She said "I'll take a dollar for them"

I said $1 EACH? She said "No for all of them"

SOLD!

Heck I was willing to pay $1 each!

I rarely stop at yard sales too...

[thumbzup]

Attachments

dburd72

My biggest problem is running 50 55 mph & other drivers running up behind me then cutting me off. I installed a pair of led's on the rear still does stop people from cutting me off . i just keep my head on a swivel.

Welder Sam

nice!!!

I have the basic theory figured out for my REAR-END COLLISION AVOIDANCE & IDIOT EXTERMINATION System....

.... I'm just trying to decide which VARIANT would work best.
If ya go with the b-52, ya wont have to have a kid or wife ride on the tailgate while hoping the cell phone or ds isnt their main focus... its radar guided.

saddamsnightmare

July 8th, 2011.

My deuce is in storage in Texas right now, likely looking for a new home, BUT.... When I run her on the interstates I always placed a reflectoried yellow "Convoy Ahead" Sign on the tailgate, and in bad weather or low light conditions I would use the two amber convoy beacons above and behind the cab. I know you folks are going to go off the deep end, but my answer to any cop was... "It's tan, it's large and it's slow, I need all the help I can get to avoid some truck driver from running me over in the right lane doing 54..." Fedferal law says I must maintain 45 mph on interstates, but there are a lot of fools out there that cannot see a tan truck in daylight that does NOT blend into a woodland and grass background....
Personally, if I could afford it a V100 would be my choice for interstate cruiser.....2centsfat lady sings

Personally, I think the feds need to add a circuit to the auto truck electricals that either cuts the cell phone off when the engines in gear and the vehicles rolling, or jams it out under the same condition... MAybe make it impossible for the machine to go into gear or even cut the engine out....!The average proto-auto-sub-simian does not have enough brain cells to spare to drive, text or talk.... Its illegal on the railroad.... it should be illegal everywhere else too!:rant:

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of 3-M reflective tape, this stuff will stick on and will not come off, when a headlight approaches sometimes it is hard to distinguish the difference between a light and the tape, this comes in GREEN and the typical RED and WHITE. Personally I would go with GREEN.

That's my 2cents

Attachments

Just food for thought.

I was taught not to use rear flashing lights on a patrol car during early morning hours. I was told that drunk drivers would be drawn to the light in their stuper. CRASH!

Jeremiah 21:4 'Thus says the LORD God of Israel: "Behold, I will turn back the weapons of war that are in your hands, with which you fight against the king of Babylon and the Chaldeans who besiege you outside the walls; and I will assemble them in the midst of this city.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just food for thought.

I was taught not to use rear flashing lights on a patrol car during early morning hours. I was told that drunk drivers would be drawn to the light in their stuper. Crash!

jeremiah 21:4 'thus says the lord god of israel: "behold, i will turn back the weapons of war that are in your hands, with which you fight against the king of babylon and the chaldeans who besiege you outside the walls; and i will assemble them in the midst of this city.

amen......!

deuceaid

Banned
There are all LED lights on our 109. Be aware in GA you need a permit for any flashing light that is used as a warning light - the cost is $2 per yr.

Great thread.

Got pissed off reading this post ........so,,,sc**w GA.....its safttey equipment, and legal in california,,,

deuceaid

Banned
when I was working for my friend, ( street sweeper company) we put led STROBES on the back end of the trucks ( driving 5mph on a freeway resurface job.....),,,, and I didnt slave them together ( they dont blink at the same time) so it was the most Irritating **** thing to look at.... red and blue strobes are dim....... but yellow / or white can be irritating!!!!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My biggest problem is running 50 55 mph & other drivers running up behind me then cutting me off. I installed a pair of led's on the rear still does stop people from cutting me off . i just keep my head on a swivel.
Now I don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer so please enlighten me on how a vehicle speeding up behind you cuts you off.

dittle

Not to be a PITA but before you guys go out and spend a ton of money on new gadgets and reflectors to go on the back of your vehicles remember:

All of these add ons will not prevent a retard behind the wheel from hitting you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks