• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow vehicle safety

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
go sharpen yourself, while the rich run around you....ha ha..bla ha ha
rock on guys

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UNExJi5xIs[/media]
Ah geez. I was at the Dallas, Texas stop of that Gumball Rally that year. I met quite a few people in that video.

Talked to the guys on the Ducatis that were in the video, they were hilarious and still in good spirits despite riding straight from the Tennessee stop. Crazy europeans.

The Texas guys in the silver Porsches came to Austin for a hill country ride soon after, and I got to drool on the German gentlemans Audi RS8 wagon years before they started selling them here.
The previous two posts, IMHO, represent a THREAD HIJACKING that neither "promotes safety" nor endorse the SAFE OPERATION and GOOD REPUTATION of our MV's and this hobby....

MODERATORS: Are you monitoring???
Thank you.

2cents

velociT

The previous two posts, IMHO, represent a THREAD HIJACKING that neither "promotes safety" nor endorse the SAFE OPERATION and GOOD REPUTATION of our MV's and this hobby....

MODERATORS: Are you monitoring???
Thank you.

2cents
Not hijacking anything.

Maybe you can request them to disable my account, since you regularly try to get my posts deleted... :deadhorse:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've searched threads for quite a while trying to see how you would wire signals to the low air buzzer to no avail. Either I am using the wrong keywords or something. Is this a simple task? I presume it is? I'd really like to set mine up like that.

Thanks
Probably won't find anything. Bjorn made his own little black box that has 3 inputs and sends the signal to the buzzer. Each input sends different length signals to the buzzer so he knows what is buzzing.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably won't find anything. Bjorn made his own little black box that has 3 inputs and sends the signal to the buzzer. Each input sends different length signals to the buzzer so he knows what is buzzing.
The easiest way to wire the turn signal flasher box output to the buzzer is simply with a diode (see image).

The "black box" was more involved and used the buzzer for other warning signals also...too complex, never really sold any...however, I now use a stripped down version for pulsing the low air buzzer to make it more tolerable during engine start-up (second and third images). :)

PS. wasn't able to delete the deuceaid messages above...something about an unspecified thread..my moderating skills are going along with everything else...

Attachments

Last edited:

1redgmc

Thank you both Recovry4x4 and Bjorn

That first diagram is indeed simple enough (and I hope it follows the thread topic of safety) - but one final question please...

Obviously I want to use a 24V diode, but what amp rating is recommended? I presume it is very low?

Again, thank you!

kastein

It's the current that supplies that really loud buzzer, not sure of rating but I would aim for at least a 5 or 10 amp rectifier. Anything from about a 1N5807 to a 1N5816 rectifier would probably do the trick. Most silicon rectifiers these days are at least a 50 volt rating and all of those ones are, so there is a decent safety margin there.

Ripcord01

Hmmm... please check your "two cents" as I think you might have FORIEGN CURRENCY there.

In most, if not all, jusridictions in the United States and Canada display of GREEN lights or reflectors on a vehicle is ILLEGAL as they can be easily confused with a GO Traffic Signal and provoke a reaction of RELEASING the BRAKES at a time when it is MOST UNSAFE.

Please check the LAWs in your State to see if your idea holds water.
I had a patrol car that had green and white light bar. Loved it. They are not illegal to have in VA and MD.

1redgmc

It's the current that supplies that really loud buzzer, not sure of rating but I would aim for at least a 5 or 10 amp rectifier. Anything from about a 1N5807 to a 1N5816 rectifier would probably do the trick. Most silicon rectifiers these days are at least a 50 volt rating and all of those ones are, so there is a decent safety margin there.
Thanks kastein!

Now on my list of things to do this weekend. I like the small, extremely useful stuff like this. I get a lot of satisfaction from these types of safety mods.

:D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you both Recovry4x4 and Bjorn

That first diagram is indeed simple enough (and I hope it follows the thread topic of safety) - but one final question please...

Obviously I want to use a 24V diode, but what amp rating is recommended? I presume it is very low?

Again, thank you!
Current draw is less than 1 amp for the buzzer. You can use 1N4003, for example. I think I have used the 1N5400 series also, they are 3 amps and gives you a little safety margin.

kastein

Current draw is less than 1 amp for the buzzer. You can use 1N4003, for example. I think I have used the 1N5400 series also, they are 3 amps and gives you a little safety margin.
That little current for that much noise?! I'm impressed. I should have looked it up I guess...

IIRC Radio Shack has 1N400x (1 through 7, all 1A rated and varying from 50V PIV to 1000V PIV iirc) in 25-pack assortments for under $5 and 1N540x (or suitable equivalents, they only specify 3A) in 2-packs (part number 276-1141) for under $2. Pick your poison ;)

kastein

It's real simple once you get past the engineering mumbo jumbo. Buy the diode you choose (either should be fine), find the wire for the signal you want to run to the buzzer, wire the non-striped end of the diode to it. Find the wire for the buzzer. Wire the striped end to it. DONE!

(repeat as necessary for the other blinker wire, parking brake sense switch if you put one in, etc)

Welder Sam

Sounds simple enough. Im guessing thats the buzzer in the pics? Yeah, im not down with this stuff.. id rather buy one ready to splice into. Er.. uh... sry folks:shock:

goodguyzy

picking up a m35a3 from nellis today, james was on my mind. I used the led magnetic strobes on the back. usually my wife is following in the chase vehicle but in light of the crash she was in lead. worked ok if she would keep a constant speed but kept speeding up and slowing down. after a few hours got the hang of it and seemed to work ok. still on the road.......

goldwing2000

Banned
I actually discovered an additional unintended safety feature on my Deuce, as well: The Whistler turbo. It seems to have the perfect pitch for scaring deer away. While driving my truck, I haven't seen anything but deer's backsides as they're bounding away.

islasaero

I know what you mean

At least in Florida, driving with your 4 way flashers on is illegal. I have seen where idiots have run into the back of school buses, painted bright yellow with LED flasing lights.
No matter how hard you try ther is some idiot talking on a phone not paying attention and will plow into you regardless how many lights you have on.
Service (head) lights do make you more visible to the idiot that is about to pull out in front of you requiring you to test the brake system of your MV and yes delenator plates and other reflectors do work to an extent.

All in all, you can decorate your MV with all the gizmos out there but someone will still be able to run right up your rear and claim they didn't see you.
When I recovered my M109, heading from Barstow to Los Angeles, some idiot had me test my brakes. He was trying to exit out the freeway, in a very late manner. So, I had to honk and brake at the same time. He got lucky!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A vehicle I know of had the gunnplexer and horn antenna from a supermarket door opener mounted inside the rear window. Speeders with radar detectors never came up too fast when illuminated like that.

There is a collision avoidance system available on some vehicles and generically too, but there is more than one incompatible kind, it is expensive, and the deployment is not yet sufficient. There is some discussion on truckers forums. For my part, a flashing yellow light up under the back of the truck ought to give notice to all but the stupidest or most inebriated people. Those we can not avoid.

On another point here, one member should never worry about another member trying to get their account disabled or their posts deleted. It never happens like that. What really happens is that it is done by magic. Each member, individually, is the only one who knows the magic words to make their own account or posts disappear.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, in a previous post 2 Function Magnetic LED Amber Safety Light - 2830053 | Tractor Supply Company was discussed. I was able to detour myself over to a TSC yesterday and bought the only one of these they had in stock. While doing a little research work I found these on an auction sight for quite a bit cheaper even with shipping. Buying more than one increased the savings. I added 2 more to my collection. My goal is to have one in each truck and when I do rallys or recoveries, take multiple.

Also just added 4 more Grote LED rear composite lights to my collection. I now have enought to outfit all of my junk with rear LEDs.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,
Per your suggestion, I too looked on the web, and found them from Mills Fleet Farm. Good price and shipping on five was $8.95. Thanks for the heads up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks