• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antenna Mount nutsert tool

edpdx

I had to move the antenna mount from the existing front location to the rear on my M1009 Blazer. The problem was that the rear did not have nutserts in place on this vehicle- I have seen other M1009 Blazers with both locations ready to accept the antenna mount. I looked around the web and found that the inserts used can be a pain, at best, to install without a costly tool. Since this type of application is seldom used, a costly tool seemed unjustifiable.

I found a few encouraging threads on how to install these with various homemade tools and plain old American Ingenuity. This design was inspired by one from Dwayne Verhey. As I came to understand the mechanics of the "nutsert" through other people's explanations, I came up with the following tool design. You only need to use tools you probably already have and if you buy anything, it would be the Simpson Strong Tie. These are used in home construction. Home Depot had them for around .60 cents. The model number is LSTA9- you only need one.

I bought four steel Nutserts to hold the antenna bracket. The ones I needed were *5/16 thread- 1/2" outside diameter. The tool will work for most size inserts; but you'll have to use the appropriate Hex Cap screw to match the insert. The allen wrench and final drill size would also need to match the insert size. Here is the outline of the job I did. If you are mounting one you'll also need:

Thread inserts *(Nutsert or Riv-nut) Steel or aluminum.

• 1 5/16"x2" Hex Cap screw (black oxide or grade 5 or 8).
  • 1 5/16" nut to match Cap Hex screw (black oxide or grade 5 or 8).
  • 2 5/16" Washers- Zinc are okay.
  • Simpson Strong Tie LSTA9
  • 1/8" Starter bit
  • 5/16" intermediate bit
  • 1/2" final size bit
  • a 1/4" long allen wrench matching the Hex in the Hex Cap screw.
  • 1/2" Ratchet wrench
  • dab of moly lube or white lithium grease
  • Power Drill
tools.jpg

Enlarge this hole to 5/16" for this job- larger or smaller for other applications.

shape tie.jpg Bend the Simpson tie where indicated. The wrench is held in the hole to keep it from spinning- this helps keep you focusing on keeping the insert square in the hole.

setup.jpg Grease the threads lightly to reduce friction and make for easier buckling of the nutsert. Tighten the Insert onto the bolt so that there are at least 4 threads left as shown or you'll not be able to turn the nut enough to fully collapse the insert.

assemble.jpg If you use a closed end wrench, put it in place before the allen wrench is inserted into the Hex Cap.

drill.jpg When you buy the insert, there is usually some info on what size to drill- I forgot what it was so I just drilled the 1/2" and rotated the bit; reaming the hole until the insert slid it snugly.

force.jpg Mark a corner of the nut plainly with a Sharpie so you can keep track of how many turns you are making.

Grip allen wrench firmly and force the nutsert squarely into the hole, while turning the ratchet. The first of three revolutions will be the hardest as the insert buckles- keep it square in the hole until completing the third revolution- no more than 3 though or the insert will deform. :cookoo:

3 turns.jpg

fin.jpg "OOSEN?" for crying out oud! Should be an "L" here.

Sorry about the long post, I just like to be thorough as I know there are guys, like me, that are new to some of these hardware designs, and since the truck wall is double, you have to use a Nutsert instead of regular nuts and bolts to attach the bracket. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I alway enjoy home grown ingenuity. Great job. Thanks for the pictures

I like your design better than my hack job.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I have to replace one on my 1008A1 and seen this old post and thought about reviving it as I thought it was an excellent way of doing an installation on the cheap.

Great Idea edpdx, I hope it does well.

Last edited:

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting ingenuity. Would be useful for if you do not have the tool but absolutely need to install a nutsert. Since it is the outside of the vehicle you should use grade 8 nutserts and bolts.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen other M1009 Blazers with both locations ready to accept the antenna mount.
The 1984 M1009 had the antenna mounts at the rear of the vehicle, while the 1985 and 1986 models had them up front. I don't believe they ever came from Chevy with both locations having the nutserts. That was likely done at the unit or depot level.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks