• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 tire changing to 395/85/20 part 1

tobyS

Has anyone put 395s on the front while running regular a3 tires in the rear ? I prefer not to spend all the money at once
Remove the front drive-shaft. They are just enough different that it could cause some serious damage if the front is engaged. I'm going to 4x4, partially because of this cost (and I like the looks/performance).

Mquirin

I’m adding Goodyear 395s to my A3, on A3 rims. I love the look of the stone shields. I am not running ctis and have no ctis hardware on these rims. Will adding the stone shields throw my wheels out of balance or not impact them?

tobyS

You could put a couple extra nuts on the bolts (that bolt the rims together) to add small amount of weight on the opposite side. A static balance would tell you where you are to begin with.

One way to static balance is on the truck. I decide which axle set I will repack and put new seals on then remove axles, seals and completely clean the bearings and housing. Reassemble without the seals on one wheel and make the bearing to where you can just feel resistance on turning and then back off about 1/4 turn. With no grease or seal, it will turn easily. Mount the tire and wheel being balanced to that hub....the heavy spot will fall to the bottom. Then add weight to the top until you can turn that heavy spot to 90* and it no longer drops. Move that wheel/tire to one of the other axles and go to the next wheel.

Install new seals and repack grease then you are ready to go. I think front works best but any will work, the axle is just a bit harder to get back in on the rear.

Last edited:

tobyS

Rears will have only 2" between them (so chains will hit) and front, I believe, will hit steering arm with A3 wheels. There may be a different wheel that could work to put the front further out (less back space).

Briand

Continental MPT-81 365/80/20. It’s the only direct replacement I’ve found still available. The stock 14.5x20 Michelin XL tires that are on there now work fine with the chains.

tobyS

Here is another option that might work....365/85R20 Michelin XZL.

Rodney has a deal going on flee-bay @ $325 compared to $515++;

Had to remove link...I think it's against the rules to post an active one.

Enter the size on a flee bay search and Rod's place in Wisconsin comes up. They are good to deal with and have reasonable trucking costs.

Last edited:

Briand

Thanks for the lead, I’ll give them a call. Looks like thats going to be about 1.5” taller but the same width. I’ll have to lay a chain on the front with a full turn and see what I have for clearance I guess. I could stand to lose the rear chains, but not all of them.

Briand

Thought about it, priced it, and added it to the list. But plowing I need the chains to bite into the ice and packed snow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks