• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 tire changing to 395/85/20 part 1

YOUNG GUN

All of your A3's look great on 395's:-D
Quick question:
What tire pressure are you guys running in the MV/T's?
Is 35 PSI about right?
I just picked up a set today, and I'll have them mounted tomorrow morning:beer:

jaymcb

^ Mine too, although my CTIS takes about 7-8 miles to get them to 44PSI. For my long highway run home on my recovery, I also set my tires pressure to 50. Since they bleed down a bit sitting, now the CTIS sets them to 44.

If I had unlimited funds, I would send a CTIS head unit back and have it recalibrated to set the highway setting pressure to 50, which is about as high as you want a CTIS system pressurized to.

Hoefler

Mounted a set of 395's on Hemtt wheels on my M36A3. They look and run great. I have an M35A3 that needs new shoes. After seeing how great the big Goodyears look on the A3 wheels, I think I will choose this route.
The handling and driving difference between the tires (Goodyears vs stock Michelins) is big. The truck takes on a whole new feel with the Goodyears-its much better. No wobble, steers nice. One thing I have noticed, that is the trucks sits a while it takes about 5 miles before the Goodyears feel less "bouncy". After they warm up a bit, they feel smooth.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hoefler

The larger tires provide more speed though I seldom go over 50 MPH. One curious thing I discovered, the speedometer in the truck read faster than actual speed. After tire change I used a GPS and now fing the speedometer matches the speedometer exactly! Wonder if I have an A2 speedometer in my truck.
So on here run there trucks wide open-I dont feel comfortable with this. The larger tires allow me to not hold traffic up (side roads) without reving engine fast.
I got my tires and rims from Scott in Blaine-it was a good addition to my truck.
Pete

sierra117

Your A3 looks great now I can't wait for my tires to wear out so I have a reason to get some new tires. 395s seem to be cheaper and easier to find as a replacement.

YOUNG GUN

Your A3 looks great now I can't wait for my tires to wear out so I have a reason to get some new tires. 395s seem to be cheaper and easier to find as a replacement.

Thanks.

Once I got a look at all the deuces on 395's, it was game over.
I probably could've got many more miles out of my stock tires, but could not seem to stop myself.
I thought about going with the Conti MPT-81's, but when these MV/T's came up on GL I had to have them.
Best price I could get on the Conti tires was $4,620 installed; [8] brand new never used NOS Goodyear MV/T's cost me about $2,700 and had them installed at a local tire shop for $150 (special deal).
I helped the guys install from start to finish, and it took us about 4.5 hours to do all 6 tires (I still need to do my spare).
After helping install them, there is no way those are coming off the rim with the internal bead lockers; The tire beads are clamped in there sooo effin tight its ridiculous.
Here's to hoping your tires wear out soon, its a fantastic upgrade.:D
:beer:

lonegunman

Bummer, my A3 has decent tires and I have a full set of six new spares for it. Never been mounted, new tires. If I do not wear my current set out they will go with the truck if I sell it.

Any problems with clearance between the duals?

YOUNG GUN

None at all between the rears.
The only thing I haven't done yet is take it for some serious offroading, so we'll see if I rub under the bed while fully articulated.
I don't think the tires are ever going to touch each other, unless you break a dog bone or something.

Hoefler

I have two A3's-one with GoodYear 395's and the other with the stock Michelins. Big tires give a little more of a bouncy ride and lower RPM and slower off the line. The other truck with stock Michelins had a bad shake with the fronts at 45-so I pumped them up to 52. No more shake, no bounce and tracks nice. I have the rears at 45 and have noticed at 50 MPH over rough pavement (Minnesota), the back and gets all out of sorts once in a while. It can get a little interesting getting her straight again. I think I will leave the Michelins on this truck.

YOUNG GUN

I have two A3's-one with GoodYear 395's and the other with the stock Michelins. Big tires give a little more of a bouncy ride and lower RPM and slower off the line. The other truck with stock Michelins had a bad shake with the fronts at 45-so I pumped them up to 52. No more shake, no bounce and tracks nice. I have the rears at 45 and have noticed at 50 MPH over rough pavement (Minnesota), the back and gets all out of sorts once in a while. It can get a little interesting getting her straight again. I think I will leave the Michelins on this truck.

When I still had the stock michelins on my truck, it would do the same thing over rough roads occasionally but only on big bumps.
One morning when it was raining I went over some railroad tracks at about 25mph and it kicked the whole rear of the truck out about 4ft:shock:
I got it back under control, but it scared the chit out of me!

AMDOOR

Has anyone found a solution for stowing a spare in the standard location? I saw that YOUNG GUN had a spare in his pictures. Is it a 14.5 R 20 or will a 395/85 R 20 fit? What are the ramifications of running a different size tire to get back home?

YOUNG GUN

Has anyone found a solution for stowing a spare in the standard location? I saw that YOUNG GUN had a spare in his pictures. Is it a 14.5 R 20 or will a 395/85 R 20 fit? What are the ramifications of running a different size tire to get back home?

The one you saw in the pictures was a 14.5 x 20, I had not had the chance to get it changed over yet.
I for one wanted a matching full size spare, fully aired up without any mods to the spare tire area since I plan on dual fuel tanks or another larger tool box, so here's what I did.

Attachments

YOUNG GUN

I have a ramp temporarily, but will install a small 1000# crane in the near future for tire, 55gal fuel drums, etc.

If I'm far from home I usually have a friend with me anyways, and most of my friends are capable of helping me lift it up in there if need be, i've had to do it once already when I forgot the ramp... I'd still prefer to do it with the crane though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks