• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 tire changing to 395/85/20 part 1

BadMastard

Update time! With a couple of thousand miles on the tires and truck, it's nothing short of awesome. Been running at 52-55 on the highway, 35 around town. Carried up to 7 tons of dirt a short distance, and 5 tons 60 miles. Driven loaded with christmas carolers in the back, and driven it empty. Up hill in the snow (both ways) and downhill on the ice. So the ice part isn't as fun as it might sound, but it's livable. Lots of rain driving, no problems at all!

Now, two of the tires starting leaking after a few hundred miles. It's the Oring. Now I know why the tires were torqued so hard! Easy fix, tightened them up a little, back to business as usual.

They look great, haven't rubbed anywhere yet. Never going back.

Hoefler

I like that tire carrier. McMaster Carr has simple davit arm cranes that would work great mounted in bed. Picture of my A36 on 395 Goodyears. Other picture is A35 on big Michelins with stock wheels.
I like the Goodyears better.
Pete

Attachments

JimmyThompson

I won't be using a CTIS as it's for my M109A3. Next question if you can spare the time....

which 395/95R20 is best to use in my attempts to make an off-road camper. It will have considerable highway use prior to going off-road.

Michelin XML, Michelin XZL, or Goodyear MVT?

welldigger

I run the xzl's on my truck. They ride and steer good. I haven't put enough miles on them to say how they wear. Off road they perform pretty awesome. As far as road noise...well I haven't rode in a truck with xml's so I can't compare, but the xzl's aren't terribly loud. They sound about like any other knobby tire you see a lifted chevy running.

The goodyear mvt's look awesome. If and when I ever wear out my xzl's then I will give the good years a try. I am quite happy with my xzl's though.

Special T

I have never seen a 395 in an XL. To my knowledge they are only available on 14.5, 15.5 1400, & 1600R20s. I have noticed that certain sizes are more location specific. I have not seen very man of the 14.5 or 15.5 come off JBLM

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have the MVT's on the She Beast and love them. They see a mix of pavement, rocky dirt tracks, and sand. I find them to be the best sand tire we've used.
I have the 11x20 XL's on my truck and think they would be great for mud, which I see none of, and wouldn't get them again.
Also they seem to crack really bad on the sidewalls and chunk pieces off the lugs a lot.

I have 6- 1400r20 and they are in pretty decent shape tread is like new but there is some cracking but not enough to worry me. I got all them for $400 and they were all holding air which Is good

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine all cracked while in use. Hundy has said the same about them. I had to replace two, one cracked so bad it blew out and the other I ripped some lugs off on a bad trail, and he asked me what I thought of them. We both had the same opinion. He'd heard that they do that often.

Oh, and it was the same kind off deal. I got 8 for $500 , all barely used and no sign of cracks or damage.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks