• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

safari racks for m1009

jdeoliveira74

looking to see some ideas for a rack that would sit on top of fiberglass cap maybe hang over cab too. its my daily driver and work truck need to carry ladders and thinks

niferous

The general consensus seems to be that the fiberglass top can't handle much weight. Do a search for roof rack and there are some guys that have some custom racks that actually attach to and sit on re bed rails and then the top sits on top of the racks rails. Pretty neat idea.

Also there is a company called Can-Bak that makes soft tops and you can get them done with a rack system like you are looking for.

Last edited:

K9Vic

I have one on my M1009, it is bolted through on the thick ends of the fiberglass roof. The hook kit is for fiberglass tops for like a Jeep and works well. I have my spare on the rack and a Hi Lift jack. As long as you do not put allot of weight on it you are fine, they are more for looks on a K5 then use IMO. Then a few pictures of factory roof racks I have seen, one from a Craigslist ad and other I saw and snapped a picture.

Attachments

Metternacht

Yakama and Thule both make systems that can be attached to the truck. a set of cross bars and you have the basics. There are ladder stops that keep things from sliding side to side and you can get the Megawarror Cargo basket from Yakama to haul stuff if you need that functionality. I have the megawarror with the extension and it works great for stuff the overflows the bed of my truck.

That is mounted on a Can Back top, Which I love.

Here are a few pics of the set up.

Attachments

K9Vic

It is a Kongo Master (Safari) 52x60 Bushman roof rack that I bought used on Craigslist and bought the hook kit from 4-Wheel Part/Performance 4 Trucks.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look up the "what have you done to your CUCV today" thread, joediveguy has had a safari rack made out of heavy gauge steel, that bolts to the top rails of the cargo bed, before you put the cap on. It could handle 500 lbs easy. If I was going to make a safari rack, I'd go that way.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I am building mine soon, I have seen a few hundred pounds up on the fiberglass on and off road without issues. I am sure common sense plays a part.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi I know this is a old thread.Was wondering if anyone had any leaks or stress fractures in the fiberglass?
I'm looking to do same thing on my 1986 M1009.

cucvrus

I had a large aluminum and steel roof rack on several M1009's I hauled heavy tires and wheels on top many miles and used it for carrying wood and parts. Never had an issue with cracks. I used 3/8" carriage bolts and inside plates to mount mine. Of course the smooth part was inside the truck. Not like some I've seen with 1" on threads hanging inside. Skull splitters. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks