• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Rocker panel no welding install

kkcshipp

Bank that! Thanks for the thread, as this will really help me when I get to that stage. What did you use as your primer? I have been using Duplicolor Green Etching primer.

dependable

Have used similar process on Chevys, my Dodge 2500, as well as an extensive floor and rocker replacement in a 300D Mercedes. I do have a Mig welder, but like the epoxy, as it is less likely to rust in hidden areas. I use 3M 08115 epoxy, which seems similar to JB weld. Low odor, reasonable set up time. I tried the Semi brand body epoxy, but the smell and acid fumes drove me out of the shop for hours.

I trim down panels to about a 2 inch overlap, any more overlap and it gets harder to fit well. I drill holes every 8-10 inches and place panel in with Cleco fasteners to test fit. Clean both surfaces to bare metal with grinder, apply epoxy on both surfaces, and rivet panel in with 3/16 stainless rivets in the holes the Clecos were in.

Dirty1

It has! The usual things here and there but I love this thing! I want to keep it for a while.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see this. I will be replacing both of mine this spring. Have already bought the passenger side from Amazon. (Jegs) Funny thing is they don't have the drivers side on Amazon. Will be buying it directly from them i na day or two.

kkcshipp

82ABNMP I know I'm reviving but thoughts since I'm just getting around to it. Removing the rust from my 1009 I found not the entire rocker was rusted out. I removed the sections of rust until I found good hard steel. Treated with preservative, painted with primer. I've got the rockers and the large tube of glue (see I can be trained). I'm going to try and glue right on top of the old/existing metal. Does anyone see issues with that? I will use the same method with self tapping screws etc. I still have not cut to fit but I'm almost sure it'll fit.

D6T

(Not sure if the quote feature worked from the above post)

Any updates? I may be going down this road soon, myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks