• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bleeding brakes on a M109A3 Dual Circuit System?

peashooter

I figured its time to bleed the brakes on my 88 AF M109A3 which has the dual circuit system. I've only had the truck a few months, the previous owner never bleed them, and not sure when the military last did before that.
So far I havent found much info on these dual systems and havent been able to navigate the TM's well enough to find out how to service them..... I've seen plenty on the single circuit systems but I dont believe that will help me much.
Has anyone done this before or can you point me to the TM that would address the dual circuit maintenance/repair?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2 dual brake systems are covered in SMARPI TM 9-2320-209-14&P

You bleed them the same way you bleed any other brake system. Nothing special about that aspect of them.

wsucougarx

As mentioned just bleed them as you would anything else.bleed both air packs first then do the farthest wheel cylinders and work your way inward.

peashooter

Yup, What he said is right. Take your time and work from the farthest cyl and keep working inwards. A power bleeder (Search on this site ... ) will make this a relatively easy and quick job.
Thank you, I think the power bleeder is actually the part that first got me confused. As this is a dual circuit system it's master cylinder reservoir is more like a car's with a plastic tank and a screw on plastic cap, not the small threaded hole like the single systems have.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, I think the power bleeder is actually the part that first got me confused. As this is a dual circuit system it's master cylinder reservoir is more like a car's with a plastic tank and a screw on plastic cap, not the small threaded hole like the single systems have.
The power bleeder will work, you'll just have to find used caps from a dealer or wrecked truck and put a "T" in the bleeder. Granted that would probably get pretty expensive though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks