• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code Enforcement

rcflyer70

The only issues I have with the people in my small rural Kansas town are those stopping by wondering when I'm getting more and those wanting to borrow them. In fact, I just loaned out my dumping deuce today!

paulfarber

. They continue to turn me in to our illustrious Code Enforcement Guys. The Code Enforcement Officer does not return my calls and I live in an area that does not have a home owners association.

Then it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

If they make a formal, written complaint you are legally entitled to read it, and know whom its from. You can even make a FOI request to the code guy.. but I would go to his office so he can't not talk to you.

If he gives you the run around FOI his ass and force him to cough it up. Failure to comply is not really an option.

My guess is that they might have you at some sort of 1 ton limit. That seems to be common in suburban areas. Getting your MVs antique plated might help, as a lot of laws do not apply to antique tags.

panshark

i am a motorcycle rider and i currently am riding a suzuki intruder with 2" open pipes
i leave for work @ 630 am 4 days a week
when i first bought my house in january of 2010 no one complained when spring rolled around i got a letter from some coward (no name and no contact info) posted on my mail box complaining about how loud i was and how rude i was.
and made it a point that i needed mufflers.

well, 18 months later i still don't know who left the letter and after talking to the police chief (who also rides ) he asked if i rev it late at night, early morning, all day? i said no his response was simple " cool, F#$K 'EM"

since then i have hosted a BBQ for my motorcycle group, and no problems.

just make sure you are legal and then there is nothing they can do
Making noise in the morning blows "Live and let Live" out of the water for me.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzw_i4YmKk[/media]

If they had identified who they were, would you have buried the hatchet, or parked closer to their bedroom window?

Dave08

All really good answers and some of them have been tried to no avail. I am trying to get legal, waiting on the SF 97s (Florida Titles) so that I can then license them. I really like the part about dropping them off. The Code Enforcement Officer told my wife on several occasions that he does not see a problem but he has to do his job. They stated that I have to have an approved parking pad to park on. No definition of what an approved parking pad consists of; concrete, rocks, mulch...who knows. Since I can not get the Code Enforcement Officer to return my calls; called every hour on the hour and left 8 messages, I think that I am going to have to wait this one out. This could be the start of WW III.....Ruby Ridge comes to mind with a totally different outcome.

Dave08

I already re-parked the vehicles against the back property line. Their property line and mine join together in the back and they have a chain link fence. Well the vehicle is now backed up to the rear of my property line. I did that this weekend and we will see if Code Enforcement calls me Monday. I actually did this so it would be harder for the Code Enforcement folks to have the vehicles towed.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to read the city code relating to commercial and RV parking. There is probably a length and or weight restriction. Also read the definition of commercial vehicle and RV for the related code number. You will probably find that 3 axles means commercial vehicle regardless of weight. If you don't have tags, that is probably a problem.

The improved parking surface will need to be accessible from the drive way. In other words, you can't drive across the grass to your parking area. Improved surface is in the code somewhere.

I've been down the code enforcement trail more than once for non-MV issues and have always been in the right. Once for my antenna tower (ham radio towers are specifically exempted). And for the dreaded improved parking surface; which I added more rock to. When the code lady came around and gave my wife $h!t, my wife asked code lady if she would like to see the permit (it was 20 years old and they didn't have a copy). Once code lady saw the old permit she just said "oh", and left. If you have an AH neighbor, you just have to live with it or move.

The code people will only hassle you if somebody complains. They will send you a letter with the violation and the code number. Once you have the that, you can figure out how to proceed. I didn't see that you have gotten a letter yet; maybe I missed it in the post. Lastly, when code person comes around, don't let them on your property. As somebody said before, we are all in violation of something. If they can't get you on one thing, they will try for something else. Once you let them on your property they can look around and take pictures.

If your property isn't fenced, get a permit and do it.

Good Luck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I see nothing wrong in the pics.....except that you too few vehicles.

You need a M818, M816, M915, some more assorted trailers and a big Maintainence tent.

Maybe a CUCV and M715 for contrast.

It is a shame that one arsehole can ruin everybody's fun because they have no life.

Have you done a survey of his property to see what codes he may be in violation of????

What's good for the goose is also good for ther gander. He may be a hypocrite and a Ahole.

KsM715

If your property isn't fenced, get a permit and do it.

Good Luck.

:ditto: Get a fence and a chained gate. IIRC they can not cut the chain and enter your property to tow your stuff away. (not without a warrant and Law Enforcement standing there anyways) So Joe-blow tow co. cant just pull in and haul your stuff away with just a call from the city.

Heavysteven

Your more than likely going to get busted for parking vechiles on a unpaved surface. Then another violation for storing items outside.

This is why I am moving this very moment. No more neighbors and I want to build my own Toole Army Depot.

Side note if your not legal they can file an injuction against you.

AN/ARC186

I know you said the code enforcement folks don't return calls, but I'd keep trying, if nothing else, contact the head of that department via email with the issues you are facing.
Once you establish you are in compliance wait for the neighborhood nincompoops to file another unfounded complaint. Get copies of said complaint and file for an anti harassment order. I had to do this once when I used to keep my company service vans on my property back east. one neighbor didn't like it so he was always calling the police, code enforcement and even the EPA once. All the reports were unfounded so I ended up filing for the order. the next time he filed a complaint I went after him. my point was proven, I had no issues after that.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey 3 star, we feel a lot of compassion for your situation, and we have been in your shoes. If we could suggest something: don't try to get information via phone calls, either contact "enforcement" types via email or certified letter, so you have a documented record of having tried to approach them. Public employees are bound by Freedom of Information laws regarding anything on writing, including emails, but phone calls are difficult to prove. Nobody seems to want to front up and be accountable for their decisions, or the lack of decision, but if you have a paper trail, and they take you to court, you can prove that you tried to resolve the situation and the fault is on the enforcement office. Public employees don't just work for their "pets" in the community, everybody is subject to statutes, and if there ain't a law against it, to heck with 'em. Bottom line, if they hold the position, and are the one supposed to be approached for information and they don't respond: go above their heads and lodge formal complaints demanding their removal. Somebody signs their paycheck, and in these days of shrinking public funding, they doggone sure need to be earning their keep. If they are not, their bosses (and the boss's boss) needs to know they are doing a lousy job. You can waste an awful lot of time and stomach lining playing phone tag with some of these clowns, so you're much better off to start early with the paper trail.

All municipalities, unincorporated areas, and extended town jurisdictions have statutes, and most of them can be granted variances to them. Force the jokers to be accountable.

A

A/C Cages

Sec. 20-58. - Miscellaneous parking regulation.
(a)
There shall be no off-street parking in the front yards, rear yards, and side yards, street side, of single-family dwellings, except as normally exists in driveways or designated parking spaces or areas, unless otherwise provided in this section.
(b)
No owner of property within the corporate limits of the city shall permit the parking, maintaining or keeping upon his property and no person shall park, maintain or keep any travel trailer, camper trailer, cargo trailer or boat trailer for more than twelve (12) hours, except as provided by this section, and further excepting from operation of this section, trailer sales of new and used unoccupied trailers, house cars or camp cars by an individual, firm or corporation, properly licensed according to the ordinance of the city, at a location that is zoned for trailer sales use.
(c)
Camp sites in mobile home parks. A separate camp site for travel trailers or camper trailers shall be permitted in any mobile home park provided that said camp area comprises less than ten (10) percent of the total area of said mobile home park; that a twenty-five-foot buffer strip exists between said camp site and any mobile home site; and that toilet, water and garbage disposal facilities are available and easily accessible to users of said camp site. No travel trailer or camper trailer shall be permitted to remain in said camp site for more than thirty (30) days.
(d)
Use as living unit prohibited. The use of a trailer or mobile home as a dwelling or living unit on any lot, other than a licensed and approved trailer park shall not be permitted within the city.
(e)
Parking of trailers. Travel trailers, camper trailers and boat trailers of any length, and cargo trailers not in excess of fourteen (14) feet in length shall be permitted to park on private property in any residential district provided they are:
(1)
Located behind the front building line and its most forward projection is not less than twenty-five (25) feet from the front lot line; or
(2)
Located in carport or garage; or
(3)
Located in the driveway area permitted for the parking of passenger cars as long as there remains sufficient area in the driveway area for the off-street parking of two (2) passenger cars, without blocking the sidewalk area.
(f)
Self-propelled mobile homes. Self-propelled mobile homes of any length shall be permitted to park in any residential district in accordance with the provisions of subsection (d) above. Self-propelled mobile homes shall not be used as a living unit when parked in a residential district.
(g)
Parking on public property prohibited. No trailer or mobile home shall be parked upon any public or private street, park or other public property within the corporate limits of the city more than two (2) hours, and a trailer or mobile home shall not be used for sleeping, housekeeping or living quarters while so parked, unless located in an area publicly designated for such use.
(h)
Construction trailers. Trailers used for construction offices on a construction site or in a subdivision shall be permitted during the period of construction only after a building permit for the construction job has been issued; such trailer or trailers must be removed from the site or subdivision before a certificate of occupancy is issued for the new construction. Such permitted trailers shall not be used for sales, habitation or promotional purposes, and shall be permitted only after receiving a permit from the building official for each such trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks