• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code Enforcement

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our code enforcement lady is nice. A real Lady. She says she has seen me driving my truck and knows that I do it regularly.

Here's a real palm slap to the forehead moment: I asked her if I could park the 5-Ton in the driveway with it sticking out into the sidewalk a bit. It was explained to me that there are blind people who use the sidewalks and that is why it has to be kept clear. Duh, I didn't think of that.

So I have to keep it in the street and drive it regularly. No big deal.

YOUNG GUN

Goo job, Young Gun. Sounds like you have some reasonable people where you are.

There are certain ways I choose to deal with people in these types of jobs, and I think it has helped me succeed in dealing with them.
They are in a position of power whether we like it or not, and can make your life very misserable if they choose to do so.
I'm not one who will kiss someones a**, especialy if they are being dissrespectful and rude, I don't care what position they hold.
However, I will certainly be very friendly if we can start off on the right foot.

I've found that the first time you make contact with most of these people, they need to feel like you respect them, that their job is important, that you would like to be in compliance, and that you just want to find a way to make it work for everyone.

Even though I could frankly care less whether my neighbor likes it or not, these people in "power" should think that you do! It makes you look like a very reasonable person, and they will tend to be on your side rather than the side of the annoying, whiny, complaining neighbor that they have to listen to all the time.

If I were to have gone about this by expressing the way I think and feel, I'm sure I would've had a completely different outcome.

I realize this will not work with everyone, as there are many people who have a large stick surgically implanted in their a**, but it's worth a try.

BTW: I found out who reported me, and I have heard they are pretty pissed with the outcome. I see them regularly when I drive by, and I just smile and wave.:D
Maybe I'll offer them a ride one of these days.rofl
:beer:

YOUNG GUN

Our code enforcement lady is nice. A real Lady. She says she has seen me driving my truck and knows that I do it regularly.

Here's a real palm slap to the forehead moment: I asked her if I could park the 5-Ton in the driveway with it sticking out into the sidewalk a bit. It was explained to me that there are blind people who use the sidewalks and that is why it has to be kept clear. Duh, I didn't think of that.

So I have to keep it in the street and drive it regularly. No big deal.

I asked the same question of the code enforcement guy, and I got the wheel chair response.
Although he did indicate that if I did park it there, he would'nt bug me unless someone complained.
In the 2+ years at this house I have yet to see someone in a wheel chair or a blind person, but who knows maybe I will eventually.

KsM715

i want to see joe-blow tow co. try and pull that duce with it in gear lol
Reach in apop it in neutral. Pretty sure anyone that operates a towtruck can figure that out.

I just found this post, and after reading most of the comments I have one suggestion for anyone: If it is authorized in "your neighborhood" form a LLC and title all your MVs to the LLC. That way you are simply conducting your business... 2cents
Then they become commercial vehicles, opening up a whole 'nuther can of worms.

gunner0311 tell you friend to join the volunteer fire department and make it a brush truck or a tanker or something lol then watch what the nurds have to say
The residents will just tell him to park the fire truck back at the station. People are not that dumb. They will not walk away from the problem just because you turned it into a fire truck.

I'm not defending the HOA's or siding with the city ord's here but alot of what gets said in these type threads are the exact reason some people look at owners of MV as a bunch of redneck hillbillies that they do not want in their neighborhood.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Redneck" and "hillbilly" are pejoratives similar to the "n" word and not usually accepted as proper references, Jeff. To apply these words to people who wish to pursue a wholesome hobby such as vehicle restoration on their own private property goes against the grain of living in what some of used to call the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

Maybe the vehicle restorers don't want busybodies in "their" neighborhood and resent being harassed for doing something, as stated above, wholesome, and relegated to their own property.

hardhead

Hey Dave 08 congratulations on being a granpa If I knew grandkids were so much fun I would have had them first have you priced a green house type ag shelter ? they can be erected for a fraction of a building once under roof your problems should quiet down a little 2cents

KsM715

"Redneck" and "hillbilly" are pejoratives similar to the "n" word and not usually accepted as proper references, Jeff. To apply these words to people who wish to pursue a wholesome hobby such as vehicle restoration on their own private property goes against the grain of living in what some of used to call the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

Maybe the vehicle restorers don't want busybodies in "their" neighborhood and resent being harassed for doing something, as stated above, wholesome, and relegated to their own property.
(your first paragraph) Thats my point.To some people, once one person that owns and drives a MV does something that bothers them or does something "because this is a free country and I can do what I want" and it p**ses them off, they will often brand "all" MV owner/operators the same, even though we know the majority of us are not that way. We are peacefull, law abiding citizens.

(your second paragraph) There are 2 sides to everystory. Maybe the "busy-body" doesnt want someone breaking the law in "their" neighborhood. Afterall they live there too. They are required to follow the same ordinances.

If you live in an area that has ordinances that you do not agree with you have 2 courses action, 1. Move, or 2. do what it takes to try to change the ordinace.
You do not have the right to just ignore it and do as you please just because you think it is not really bothering anyone.

This reply is not to say that I think Dave is doing anything wrong here, it is just a reply to rosie's comment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks