• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog FLU419 Tractor thing?

jluv1185

I being attracted to the strange, keep getting drawn to these unimog (FLU419) loader/backhoe truck things. I noticed a few members have bought them from GL. My question is are they worth a poop? Do they do the job well? Looking at them it seems like that could go either way. They do have a cool factor of 10, but if they don't do what they were designed for then its just another cool grocerie getter. Does anyone one have experience working these things? Also pics, or especially videos of one in action would be awesome!

Thanks,
Justin

KsM715

I think he's talking about the SEE's loader on front, backhoe on the back.

Theres quite a few threads about them. The general consensious (sp?) is that they are cool looking but suck as an actual dirt working machine. That is if you plan on driving it from jobsite to jobsite

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing B3.3Ts question was more geared to why someone interested in an item wouldn't use it's name but instead call it a "thing."

And for the record (in case he doesn't know) SEE = Small Emplacement Excavator

jluv1185

Yes "thing" is the best term I have for it. It's not always used as a negative term. I like all kinds of "things". Would you rather me call it the bastard child of a backhoe and a mog?

3cavtanker

There are actually 2 versions: FLU419 SEE & FLU10344 HMMH One is the Small Emplacement Excavator, and the other is the High Mobility Material Handler. the HMMH has forks instead of the front bucket and I think a crane instead of the rear bucket. I've never personally seen an HMMH, but Ive seen a few SEE's and the mechanics I worked with said they are a royal pain to work on, but seem to do their job fairly well. We "borrowed" one in Iraq to uncover about 20 tons of buried munitions, and it worked out well. It could get into the yard we were digging up without having to knock out a wall and ran like a champ all night (it took us almost 8 hours to dig up this guy's backyard)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I like all kinds of "things". Would you rather me call it the bastard child of a backhoe and a mog?
Well........it is what it is.

IMO it was designed by an idiot after consulting with a group of morons.

They do have a set of cool hydrolic tools that go with it.

It was not good as a truck or as a backhoe......and as stated above you have to be a triple joined amendexterious midget to work on it.

I would have to have more money than sense to buy one.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have any info on the one with the crane on the back and forklift on the front? Or pictures of one in action?? I saw one on GL and searching the name on google didn't do much

jluv1185

Does anyone have any info on the one with the crane on the back and forklift on the front? Or pictures of one in action?? I saw one on GL and searching the name on google didn't do much
Ditto brother. That's the one that made me start this thread. It also went for almost 10k! Pics and videos is now a must!

TedG

This is what I call pre-SEE. My 1975 406 with backhoe and dozer blade (ex-German Military). Runs like a top, cleans ditches really good and pushes dirt and snow with ease. Remove the blade and backhoe in about 15 minutes and you have an awesome off road truck with a 3 way tip bed. Working on them is time consuming but the cab tilts forward which helps a lot! It also has dual hydraulic circuits, and dual pto!

Attachments

jluv1185

Wow thanks Ted! Any action pics or videos? I like the dozer blade better than the loader. To me the truck looks like it could handle pushing better than picking up. Less strain on the suspension.

TedG

No video and when I am using it I never seem to take pictures. The suspension gives in the rear even though it has double springs. Using the backhoe to lift is fine if you have the stabilizing legs down. With them up, you see how it squats with an M37 bed suspended. The other coolness is that the backhoe slides left to right for ditch cleaning.

Attachments

spicergear

TedG- I may have some spare parts for you as my '77 Mog was originally equipped like yours but the hoe and blade were taken off. I still have the tank, frame struss, etc that went with it.

There was an HMMH on GL a month ago out in WA with the other bunch of SEE trucks they sold. Last SEE in Mechanicsburg or Chambersburg was in good condition still listed at not running and went for $15,500. One in WA with flat tires and beat up went for over $10K. I've heard they're a good unit but not as good as a specific built like say John Deere or Case tractor.

TedG

spicergear, I am all set on parts for this truck. Thanks though. The best way to sell that stuff is to use the unimog exchange. I am sure someone on the east coast is looking for those parts. The 406's seem to go a little higher than the SEE's but I think the SEE's have dragged the similar dressed 406 prices down. I should have sold mine when I was offered $25K a few years ago! Now it would be hard to get $20k.

spicergear

Yep, I stroll over the 'Exchange frequently. The SEE trucks seem a lot more purpose built than our trucks and having the hoe fold over and lay down should help too. I was talking to a guy in Norway that said he had driven them and it felt a little spooky with the hoe retracted up on the 406's. I think I'll sell my parts and try to save up for a mini-ex. :) I also needed the ground clearance so taking off the rear tank and frame truss happened in quick time on mine. I do very much love the fact that these were a relatively handful of trucks to come through with the HD frame not being CASE deck trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks