• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1940 VF Dodge Recovery and now Death

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This saga started several years ago on a pheasant hunting trip in the far north of the Texas panhandle. KCCLAY and I were out there a spotted a shot up VF Dodge 1 1/2 ton truck with out bed and a stretched frame, found the land owner and it was given to me for free. Had it for a couple of years and really never did anything except get some new rubber for it. KCCLAY is a Dodge1/2 ton guy and always had VF envy so a year ago I gave it to him. He started to track down the missing parts found some south of us about 3.5 hours, so today with the temperature being a balmy 109 we left to go fetch up the parts, another truck, bed, cab, extra doors and wheels. Uneventful except for the trailers winch controller going out. Also got a tour of some the former owner, Allan's play toys.

Attachments

Stan Leschert

I like the looks of it, but for the benefit of us un-educated folks,
could someone post a pic of what this might have been,
and could once again look like?

I'm learning as quick as I can,
but my transfer case is sometimes in LOW Range!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I like the looks of it, but for the benefit of us un-educated folks,
could someone post a pic of what this might have been,
and could once again look like?

I'm learning as quick as I can,
but my transfer case is sometimes in LOW Range!
Sure
They were pre war trucks with a flat head 6, transfer case was made by MH and had Timken axles. Most got used up on the Alcan hwy. They use the same bed as a 1 1/2 Chevy. Came with or w/o winch and even had a dump version.
Fleetmaster did a thread back in 09 on the one he restored.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/33751-rare-wwii-dodge-vf-1-1-2-ton.html

Attachments

68427vette

who was the previous owner,NAME?, looks like he bought John Bizels Daimond T,, thats the one i wanted, went cheap, at 5K, i have 4-6 of those VF's,, the hard parts are the spare tire carrier, and fuel tank..

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Allen Link got John's T. Both the frames we have had been buggered up so still looking for a straight frame. We will be at the MVPA in Dayton from Wed to Sunday am, Outside space 100 ask for Peter if you come by.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Update, and this will really make you sick. Last night while having dinner with KCCLAY and others the phone rang and it was his renter stating the hay barn was on fire. Inside the hay barn were the 2 VF's, spare VF cab, two early war 1/2T WC's Dodges plus a mid 50's Ford tractor and 20 large round bails of hay. . Right now it appears the fire started outside of the barn and it will be a couple more days before the rest of the hay is burnt and the scraping can start.dodge fire.jpg dodge fires.jpg

Last edited:

jasonjc

OH that just make me sick, I hate fire!!! That's as bad as the stuff I saw when helping Cranetruck get his 8X8 picked up.

FrankUSMC

When I first saw this post, I thought it was from last year. I had seen a post on the Midwest Military site where John had gone out to buy some stuff from a guy who had lost his entire military vehicle collection to a barn fire. Like this fire, there are photos of some very rare vehicles that are gone. I was shocked when I looked at the date and though, oh, no not again!. Very sorry this happened.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks