• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rome plow pics

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "Rome Plow" was made famous during land clearing operations in the Vietnam conflict, where specially equipped bulldozers were needed to level huge swaths of jungle and scrub to deny the enemy cover and concealment. Land clearing units were present in Vietnam from May 1967 until 1971. The area would first be pounded with air-to-ground munitions or artillery fire, then the landclearing units would come in with the Rome Plows.

The "Rome Plows" were actually Caterpillar bulldozers, mostly the D7E 20-ton tractor, equipped with a special land-clearing blade, that was equipped with a spike-spreader (sometimes called a "stinger") on one end of the blade that was used to pierce larger trees and split them in the center, making it easier for the dozer to fell the tree from its path. The term "Rome Plow" comes from the maker of the blade, Rome Plow company in Rome GA (since relocated elsewhere in GA). The model of the blade itself was the KG7ED. This model plow is still made by Rome Plow to this day.

The dozers themselves were modified with an extensive ROPS cage that also protected the operator from falling trees and brush, a rear winch, and exposed machinery components like intake/exhaust, engine covers, the hydraulic cylinders, and the grille were armored against small arms fire. The operator's position was still vulnerable to small arms fire as it was open, but it needed to be due to the hot weather, and to allow the operator better vision of the work he was doing.

Few of these still exist, at least original ones. The D7E dozers came back from Vietnam and got surplussed out and some still do work in the civilian sector today, but most have been replaced by newer units.

Here are a few pics I saved of the Rome Plows at work, and some restored ones on military bases.

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess what I found online? Guy had a 1966 Cat D7E up in New York, still serving. The KG7ED blade is gone, along with the armored grille, the engine covers, and the armor on the intake and hydraulic cylinders, but it has the military ROPS cage, the exhaust tip armor and the mounts on the grille sides for the armored grille cover. Also looks like it had been repainted with the updated CAT paint and logo sometime in the 1980s or so, but there's no hiding it's military heritage.

Attachments

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If anyone is interested I'll try to snag some pics of the plant the next time I head up to see my Father.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The plant isn't in operation anymore I don't believe, but I recall tons of plows and various parts strewn among the facility grounds.

Srjeeper

Work like this

This shows what a small one of these plows will do on a old cable dozer.....[thumbzup]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDjWMcVBr5Y&feature=related[/media]

joeM62

There is something you got wrong Rome plow is not in Rome it is in Cedartown the old plant shout down at
it's location and the Company moved to another location in the same town.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is something you got wrong Rome plow is not in Rome it is in Cedartown the old plant shout down at
it's location and the Company moved to another location in the same town.
Where is it located now? I'm thinking of the location at where HWY 100 and 278 splits at the end of Canal st.

joeM62

It's on 6th street, but the old one is on Piedmont Hwy next to the rail road tracks. The old one was #1 and #3 plant, the new one has a new owner now, because it was Bank ruped.

swinters

Just came across this thread - brings back memories! These things did a good job, though the D7E was a bit underpowered. When the Army got the D7F it was a lot better and the D8K's were awesome. They eventually got D7G's (clear in the 1980's) and those are great machines but they had to bring in frames from a Caterpillar plant overseas (Japan, I think) in order to build a low-sprocket machine that could meet air-transportability requirements. The high-sprocket machines that the US plant built was too tall to fit into an aircraft. Not much need for jungle clearing equipment these days, just sand, rock and concrete.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks