• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disc Brake Engineering Thread

frodobaggins

--- If you came here by mistake and are looking for dual circuit brakes...
*NOTE
:........Also Check out http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...46-dual-circuit-brake-engineering-thread.html for dual circuit brakes.
---

Perusing through the forum, came across mudguppy's nice build thread, which I.m sure many of you are familiar with by now. If not:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...9-cummins-nv4500-hydro-boost-disc-brakes.html

Looking at the kit he got from differential engineering:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...v4500-hydro-boost-disc-brakes.html#post711440

(Here is a link to a kit for light trucks, NOT what mudguppy got, but maybe good for some reference, background, curiosity, etc: Differential Engine - Winter Haven, FL - 2 1/2 Ton Military Rockwell)

And where he gave a part number for the rear rotor:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...500-hydro-boost-disc-brakes-3.html#post736729

Wanting to move some of the discussion there into a new thread for the 'do it yourselfers' to shoot the bull on how to do this on our own.

Here is some info, at least for the rear rotors. Haven't asked mudguppy if he had any info on the front rotors.

You can find these at NAPA, just put in 1997 International 1652 Stripped Chassis.
NAPA Part #: UP 85863
Meritor Part #: 23122527002
Raybestos Part #: 8520
Duralast Part #: 5604

Cost, about 260 from NAPA, found as low as 130 elsewhere.

From NAPA:

Attributes:
# of Bolt Holes : 6
Bolt Circle Diameter : 8.75"
Brake Rotor Diameter : 15"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.32"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.44"
Brake Rotor Type : Disc Brake Rotor Only
Height : 6.8"
Maximum Lateral Runout : .002"
Mounting Type : Type L - Rotor Only. The Rotor Is Mounted Inboard Of The Hub. The Hub & Rotor Sections Are Bolted Together. Replace The Complete Assembly If Hub Flange Is Bent Or Damaged. See Diagram For More Information.
Vented / Solid : Vented

Attachments

Last edited:

frodobaggins

Calipers:

2001 F-550 Rears:
NAPA Part #: CAL LE8597 & CAL LE8598
Duralast Part #: C606 & C607

Attributes:
From NAPA:
# Brake Caliper Pistons : 2
Bleeder Screw Thread Size : 3/8 x 24
Brake Pad Material Type : Semi-Metallic Pads
Caliper Piston Material Type : Phenolic
Coating Description : Black Protective Coating
Contents : Includes Pads
Inlet Size : 3/8 x 24

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: HN6

frodobaggins

Now we need to find the front rotors and start discussing how we might go about making it happen.
Judging from his posts, mudguppy is very happy with his, so if you're impatient or not handy with tools
you might want to save up and buy from the guy at diff eng.

Edit: Believe I've found the front rotors.

Front Rotor info: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408046
User: DriveTime from Pirate 4x4

Off of front 1994 Ford Truck F700
NAPA Part #: NB 4886056
Raybestos Part #: 8517
Duralast Part #: 5483
Centric Part #: 121.79017

From NAPA:
Attributes: # of Bolt Holes : 6
Brake Rotor Diameter : 15.39"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.42"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.54"
Center Hole Diameter : 6.45"
Height : 6.03"
Maximum Lateral Runout : .004"
Mounting Type : Type L - Rotor Only. The Rotor Is Mounted Inboard Of The Hub. The Hub & Rotor Sections Are Bolted Together. Replace The Complete Assembly If Hub Flange Is Bent Or Damaged. See Diagram For More Information.

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well.......I don't have an analytical mind......how about some pics or diagrams that show how to mount the calipers on the axles and what mods are necessary to do so.

I remember from when I had my Duster that there were several bolt on kits that you could put on the A body cars to convert them from drum to disc.

A complete ready to go kit might be a good deal if someone wanted to stock them.

Having good binders is great but we still have that antique single master cylinder to deal with.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It seems to me that going to all this work for a old hyd. system, I would look for the old numbers to convert to air

HanksDeuce

I found the following thread from Pirate 4x4. Uses 1994 Ford F-700 Bus rotors, rear calipers from a 2001 Ford F-550, and a master cylinder from a 1985 Chevy K30. On the last page of the thread a vendor is selling a front/rear kit for $1500 without brake hoses.

Rockwell wheel brakes w/ pics - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Attachments

Last edited:

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sure that i'm going to get GRIEF for this (just like i did when warning about over-weight concerns on Unimogs)...

But the only time discs are better than drums is when there is really wet conditions. A lot of that can be mitigated by drilling your drums.

This is of course when you are not taking over-all mass in to account. I'm not thinking that a whole lot of us large military truck folks are worried about reducing the weight of our trucks to go "racing".

Look at most of the Dakar "Canions"...Drum brakes!

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perusing through the forum, came across mudguppy's nice build thread, which I.m sure many of you are familiar with by now. If not:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...9-cummins-nv4500-hydro-boost-disc-brakes.html

Looking at the kit he got from differential engineering:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...v4500-hydro-boost-disc-brakes.html#post711440

(Here is a link to a kit for light trucks, NOT what mudguppy got, but maybe good for some reference, background, curiosity, etc: Differential Engine - Winter Haven, FL - 2 1/2 Ton Military Rockwell)

And where he gave a part number for the rear rotor:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...500-hydro-boost-disc-brakes-3.html#post736729

Wanting to move some of the discussion there into a new thread for the 'do it yourselfers' to shoot the bull on how to do this on our own.

Here is some info, at least for the rear rotors. Haven't asked mudguppy if he had any info on the front rotors.

You can find these at NAPA, just put in 1997 International 1652 Stripped Chassis.
NAPA Part #: UP 85863
Meritor Part #: 23122527002

Cost, about 260 from NAPA, found as low as 130 elsewhere.

From NAPA:

Attributes:
# of Bolt Holes : 6
Brake Rotor Diameter : 15"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.32"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.44"
Height : 6.8"
Maximum Lateral Runout : .002"
Looks like your in the right track to disk brakes.

frodobaggins

Well.......I don't have an analytical mind......how about some pics or diagrams that show how to mount the calipers on the axles and what mods are necessary to do so.
Mudguppy has some good pics in his thread. I am waiting on his permission to post them in here. There are also some good pics in the thread by DriveTime on Pirate 4x4.

Having good binders is great but we still have that antique single master cylinder to deal with.
I agree, however I would like to tackle that in a separate discussion.

It seems to me that going to all this work for a old hyd. system, I would look for the old numbers to convert to air
I would love to see any info you have that might could point me in that direction, however I would also like to have that as a separate discussion.

frodobaggins

I would love to do that to mine.
Do you know if the person on pirates sell the brackets?
If not what are the dementions needed to make my own brackets.

We're not there yet. There are a few more things to discuss. Some machining looks to be required, etc.

Look at both threads mentioned. LOTS of good info in both.

spicergear

Not trying to hijack the thread just putting something out there for folks to chew on. My 406 Unimog came factory with 18" four wheels disc brakes with TWO calipers on EACH front wheel then single/one per side on the rears. THAT is disc brakes with HEAVY in mind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks