• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 JK M35A2 Restoration Project!

Amram

I went today and tried to use the paint recipes you listed in the thread earlier. Home Depot corporate decided to change their mixxing codes so those recipes are no longer applicable. So again I am up poop creek and my paddle got chucked into a wood chipper.

Amram

I have nothing to color match to. Unless I want my whole truck painted in blust, grust, and brust. If anyone has some old paint and can send me some samples on paper so I can color match would be great. If not I will just paint the whole truck flat black as I had originally intended. Prolly would be easier anyway.

Welder Sam

I have nothing to color match to. Unless I want my whole truck painted in blust, grust, and brust. If anyone has some old paint and can send me some samples on paper so I can color match would be great. If not I will just paint the whole truck flat black as I had originally intended. Prolly would be easier anyway.
Go rummage through the paint sample cards at a home improvement store or go to a model shop and peruse their samplings of various olives. Heck i color matched to rustoleum deep forest green. Get out and find what YOU like and make it YOURS

wsucougarx

Hey Mike, check to see if Scott still has his Rapco 383 Rattle cans. Rattle can something at least 2"x2" and Home Depot can match it. Just make sure to request Exterior Flat Behr.

Heath_h49008

The company that made Home Depot's paint mixer machine went belly-up and left them with no product support. That is why the codes changed... there is a new machine mixing it.

wsucougarx

Went out to look the truck over for a drive tomorrow. The oil looked and smelled normal. Went to check the coolant level....uh oh! The top 1/16th inch layer was some brown stuff. I used a turkey baster (spelling?) to siphon the layer off. I didn't notice any oil smell and there was no oil sheen. Kind of smelled like cleaner or something like that. Wonder if there was a pocket of coolant flush that didn't make it's way out. It was just brown stuff. Kind of reminded me of brown algae on the surface of a pond.
Last year I flushed the system really well. Also added a coolant filter. And added a bottle of radiator leak stop due to an unforseen radiator blunder. Is there an easy way to check to see if this is oil?
The engine oil is normal and I didn't see any bubbling in the coolant while the truck was running.

Last edited:

Clay James

I think the oil cooler feed only comes in from the top, so it may have been trapped in there. Later I'll look at mine that's off the engine and see.

wsucougarx

Not much progress on this truck. I do, however, have 7 Michelin XML's waiting to go on this truck. Just need to secure some inner tubes and either a slide hammer or duckbill hammer for bead breaking.

palskidoo

your paint job came out great!! I have been playing with the idea of doing a "cheap" paint job on my truck and i love the results you had!!

wsucougarx

Thanks! After almost two years, the paint hasn't faded from what I can tell. It's holding up awesome! The nice PNW rain hasn't done much with it either. I also noticed the moss doesn't like to take up residency on the Behr paint as much as real CARC...BONUS!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks