• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 JK M35A2 Restoration Project!

wsucougarx

AKA BEHR PAINT TRUCK..haha

Well it was a matter of time before this week would come. I've been pondering how I would restore my 1968 JK M35A2 I recovered 3 years ago. Vietnam era truck, desert storm truck, 3 color CARC truck, and MERDC truck were all the ideas I had on her. Recently I repainted my M109A3 and was well pleased with the BEHR brand of paint from Home Depot. I DO NOT like the Gillespie Paint as it has way too much shine for my liking (well when it comes to the CARC substitute type paint). It just doesn't look right to me to have a truck with a smooth shiny finish. Enter Behr paint.
I shot about 2 gallons of Behr 383 Green as the base coat. I was just going to touch up each color individually but the camo pattern on the bed was random. It didn't match any of the camo covers I have seen. So I figured I'd do it right to begin with. Well, since the bed was green it was only appropriate to do the entire truck:D. I am very pleased with how it turned out. It has a nice CARC-like texture to it. I attained this texture by not diluting the paint. I just shot it straight onto the truck using the gun shown below. Albiet it took about 3 coats to attain the appearance I wanted but well worth it. Well, once the exterior was done I had to keep going and do the interior as well...right? I was originally going to keep it as is but with the contrasting new paint vs old sun faded (yes I said sun faded for a Washington State truck..haha) didn't look right. I wanted to keep the original Tooele Depot rebuild decals on her so I just taped them off accordingly. At present, I am going to let the 383 green cure for a few days before applying the 383 Behr CARC Substitute (color matched, formula to follow when I shoot it on), and Behr Flat Black (formula to follow as well).
I went ahead and installed the VIC-1 system while I was at it as well as the MT-1029 and MT-1898 radio mounts. I have a R-442 and RT-524 for this truck. I also bought a MOD-2 gun mount to put it on my ring mountless support legs. It's not a gun ring by any stretch of the imagination but it'll serve as my pacifier for the time being. The MOD-2 mount allows for either the M249 or M240. I do have plans of buying a airsoft M240 but being that they're $750 I'll have to wait on that. I would like to have the real thing but parade organizers, LEO's, and my pocket book wouldn't like it;-)
The thread on this truck's rescovery is here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/milita...ful-m35a2-recovery-ft-lewis-4-recovery-2.html

Haha now I have 3 project trucks going at the same time....not goodaua. That means nothing's going to be complete for awhile:sad:. I need a second job:p

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

More restoration pics

I took the first couple pics with the sun shining down on part of the hood. As you can see, it's pretty flat compared to the shaded area. The paint texture really adds to the flatness of the paint. Others are just random before/after pics of the cab. Thus far for a soft top this was the best place (for me anyways) to mount my AM-1780. I mounted the C-10456 control boxes on the dash for a couple different reason. For the "ring mount" posiition it only made sense to position the box in close proximity to the gunner when in the standing position. For unifomity sakes, I also put the driver's control box on the dash as well. I have a long enough cord on my H-161 as to not cause any sight obstruction while driving.
Need two 10 ft CX-4723 cables! poppacom is out.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

More restore pics

Some pics of the painted cab. Arrgh in looking at the pics I wished I had done some more prep work on the gauge panel. May need to strip and redo that job. I put some pics of the AM-1780 mount if others were interested to see how it's mounted. The two mounting bars are metal staves off a HEMTT. There is still plenty of space behind the mount for the soft top to work. I need to reverse the mounting bolts so they don't bite into the soft top. As with all my deuces, I have a middle seatbelt added as well as a VIC-1 station. Most people would question the need for a VIC-1 station in such close proximity to the driver and passenger. However, as a deuce owner with a SOFT top you know it's needed...haha.
I have a set of fresh dataplates that have been itching to go on her;-) After a couple days I'll get going. I just ordered a few decals from Rick Larsen's to shine her up a little more. OK SRODOCKER I'm almost ready for the mini rally now'-)
Well, my daughter has given me the thumbs up for the paint job. Must look OK then...haha

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Before pics

Pics of what she LOOKED like back when I first got her about 3 years ago. The CARC doesn't look all that bad in the pics. Then again wet CARC looks outstanding. Once she dries out it has the typical white washed looking 383 green CARC.
haha looking at the mileage back then, I've only put 400 miles on her since having her:oops:

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Great job! When that Behr fully cures after a month or so, you will find it is every bit as hard and durable as CARC. In fact somebody here mentioned that the BEHR flat is very similar to the new water based CARC. It's about as non toxic as paint can get, too.

wsucougarx

wish i wouldve gone this route. guess it will be time to paint the truck sooner then i thought!
Total for this paint j job thus far is $44. Hey scott there its hardly any overspray when using that wagner sprayer. You can probably just paint her in your parking lot a3 your apt.

paradeduty

Looks great!

Never thought about paints other than the Carc and Carc replacements.

Did you have to do a "color match" to get to the 383 Green in Behr?

Or is this a color that can be readily referenced by paint mixers?

Great idea for when I get my project ready for the spray gun - going to be a while, though.

Thanks for all the pictures.

Heck - even I can handle an airless sprayer!!

Was just kidding with some of my car buddies at a show the other day about how much my MV's save me in car wax and elbow wear and tear!

If I ever don't get a chance to clean the truck top to bottom for a show, I just tell folks that it looks more the part when it is a little dirty! (which really is pretty true!)

Take Care, Dave.

wsucougarx

Looks great!

Never thought about paints other than the Carc and Carc replacements.

Did you have to do a "color match" to get to the 383 Green in Behr?

Or is this a color that can be readily referenced by paint mixers?

Great idea for when I get my project ready for the spray gun - going to be a while, though.

Thanks for all the pictures.

Heck - even I can handle an airless sprayer!!

Was just kidding with some of my car buddies at a show the other day about how much my MV's save me in car wax and elbow wear and tear!

If I ever don't get a chance to clean the truck top to bottom for a show, I just tell folks that it looks more the part when it is a little dirty! (which really is pretty true!)

Take Care, Dave.
I had Home Depot color match a brand new HEMTT metal stave last year for the 383 Green. Then I took in a patch of 383 Brown on Saturday and they matched that as well. Yesterday I had them mix up the blackest black they had. Once I shoot those colors I'll post the recipe. They greatest thing about the airless sprayer is hardly any runs in the pain and the ability to set the texture.

wsucougarx

Hi Ed, no I picked up the ring mount legs a couple years ago and just picked up the MOD 2 (M240/249) mount last week. I would much rather have something that'll hold the ma deuce. Since I don't have the full ring, I was afraid the weight of an M2 on the one leg would cause it to sway way too much while driving. Oh well, I think it looks OK for now.

wsucougarx

Didn't use any primer. Just washed the CARC down using a hard bristled floor brush, primed the questionable areas w/rusty metal primer, wiped down potential oily spots with rubbing alcohol, then shot the paint (total run on sentence;-) )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks