• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105 camper build

srodocker

Sooo....the trailer...

Its a 1968 m103 chassis with a m105 bed and a field modification of a shelter in the back. Had 1 shelf mounted on the wall when I got it. I got it a year before my truck as i threw a minimum bid and won it ha! the shelter is 9ft long by little over 6' wide.

Not to recently has it just been sitting being a parts storage for the truck. I hated setting up a bed in the back of the truck then packing everything up when people wanted rides. Its a work in progress.

My dad is a carpenter by trade so I knew i could go to him for the wood work.

The inside...
-the right side is a bed that folds up when not in use giving tons of room inside. the walls are fully insulated with foam insulation. and next to the door it will have some shelves
-the ceiling isnt done yet as thats where all the wiring will be. it will have led lights with a few wall outlets ontop. along with puck lights inscase theres no power what so ever
-the left side will a shelf to the left a smaller one with the top being where a 19" lcd tv with dvd player folds out. big shelves in the middle of the wall and a desk next to that.

right now i will use electric heating but have been researching on tiny wood stoves even a wood stove made out of a ammo can which would be nice. Im looking into coleman camping fridges and debating if i really want one of those. I will have a 2200 watt generator so I could go that route.
As for water I will keep 15 gal on the outside in jerry cans and I have a 20gal container i will mount maybe on the roof or underneath the trailer box that will provide fresh water. The trailer will get one of my old school coleman 2 burner stoves that I will use outside of the trailer. I still have to add a vent or 2 on the top to ventilate. still work to be done...

The outside....
-It will be getting the matching 46" tires but I have to take out the overload springs and flip the axle placement on them to give it a lower center of gravity. It will also have its own full size spare underneath.
-A mounted 2200 watt generator will be above the parking brakes on the tougne with a top of the line gel batt with inverter and land power plug in.
-on the driver side will be jerry cans flat against the wall of the shelter. not sure how many i can fit so I cant determine what each can will be filled with yet.
-on the passenger side will be small hooks to hang items and maybe a fold out table as this is where the awning will cover.
-the roof will have a roof rack with a small solar charger for the battery along with a container holding my tarps,awning, and camo netting.

This project is just getting started so thats what it isnt painted yet. will post pics when I get them

any question on either truck or trailer feel free to ask!

Attachments

srodocker

the legs are screw in legs. were still trying to figure out a better system for the legs. but for now they work. we may do a foldable leg setup where when its folded up they lay flat against the bed but when it moves down they go into position.

srodocker

Well I have to move the trailer from my parents house as my dad received a HOA letter saying it has to be moved. so off to my grandparents its go. which is where is going for electrical anyways hahaha

GHILL55

Depending on where you're using this, you probably don't need the fridge. I spent 10 yrs living in a converted school bus while I worked the woods of the Pacific Northwest and used ice sparingly, what worked great was an army surplus aluminum mess pan that was used as a baker in the field ovens or could be used as a saucepan 24"x24"x12" and 5/16" thick. Bear proof too! just put my butter, eggs and such in it, closed the lid attached a rope and anchor and floated it in the nearest creek. I always camp by potable water. Most mountain streams average 36-38 degrees - year round.
I'm going the same route with my new camper, ice box only.
Just my 2 cents.

srodocker

Yea im thinking of staying away from a fridge. would be another thing to worry about power wise.

going to have outlets on the outside as well. for the camper being so small what type of AC unit would you guys recommend?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a decent amount of insulation, 5000 BTU/hr is about all the A/C you'll need, unless you are going to Death Valley. I've got a 6500 BTU/hr one in my shop van/pantry and it does fine in the South Carolina summers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks