• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distracted driving

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a lot of stuff about texting and cell phone usage, and a lot of people wanting to ban those two things. But they are just hot buttons in a much bigger problem. There's a LOT of stuff people do that's just as bad, driving with fluffy in your lap, putting on eyeliner, reading the paper, eating a 16" meat lover's pizza, etc. All this and phone usage are already covered by laws regarding driving without due care. These laws just need to be enforced more. I think more states ought to have unmarked cars so they can catch a lot of drivers in their natural state, idiocy. Some people can multitask and are good at it, they know when it's okay to take a swig of coffee or take a bite out of that sandwich. Others would wreck if you let them drive in an empty mall lot. Many places are wanting to pass texting bans, but there is evidence that shows that can just make it worse. People who text just hold the phone down in their laps, which in turn forces them to take their eyes off of the road even more.
And common courtesy has just gone the way of the full service gas station. The thing for those of us will some common sense and driving ettiquette left is to just be vigilant and drive defensively. Be safe out there!

J.Z.

Cucv

Well said,common sense was not given to everybody..And only certain people are able to multitask on multiple levels.....

paradeduty

Absolutely true - I wish some people would just realize how much damage (to people and things) they can be the cause of in an instant, and what a real impact (no punn intended) that can have on friends, family and (although I hate to sound petty or materialistic, but its true) in a small way, the economy. Hey - lets face it, if a "work truck" gets hit by a yahoo, somebody does not get their widget installed or fixed or whatever on time and somebody else gets their schedule pushed back, etc. Not to make family and friends of lesser importance here, just to illustrate my point of how - even down to the smaller things - one irresponsible action can have a huge effect on the lives of so many. Another illustration which may not get thought about: how many times have we heard about emergency personel (police, fire, recovery, amulance, etc.) getting hurt or killed on the side of the road dealing with some situation. I know it might sound like a little bit of a stretch, but an irresponsible act like such could cause an accident which at the very least could put such emergency persons in jepardy. Yes, it is their job, and yes, they know that when they take up the trade, but if the situation needent happen in the first place, then it is just placing the emergency persons in an unnecessary situation. OK - way too much - sorry - just stream of thought. Take Care, Dave.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last Friday, just down the road from me a guy driving an SUV was texting on his cellphone, crossed the center line and plowed facefirst into an oncoming dump truck. He was killed instantly, the dump truck driver wasn't charged with anything and only had to buff the brain matter off his front bumper before he went back to hauling rock for a livin'. Thankfully, noone else was on board the SUV.

Pay attention, or you might be removed from the gene pool.

Last edited:

jaxsof

Maybe we need to add another warning label. Seems some think they keep us safe. I do multitask prett well, but I dont like to answer the phone while in a car, in fact I only use it at red lights or parked. But lately, since it is now against the law in MD, I have noticed a whole new batch of idiots doint 15 mph in the fast lane, trying to compose a text message. Does anyone else believe that the warning labels are hindering evolution?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem with this is where do you draw the line? There are people who shouldn't be talking to someone in the vehicle with them while driving but you can't outlaw that (or enforce it if it was outlawed).

New laws are not the answer. If there's something on the books now (like immigration) ENFORCE IT.

Mandate cell disruption devices in cars and make them retroactive so when you register your car every year they inspect it to make sure it works and if you don't have one they install it (that's sarcasm. I know you can't see it in text but it really is).

Our FREE society is becoming less and less free due to the mandates trying to cover every idiot out there. Unfortunately Mother Nature keeps making new and improved idiots every day so we'll never be shy of them.

I prefer to take my chances and keep an eye out for idiots rather than the government deciding which "freedoms" they think I should be allowed to have or not have in order to keep some other idiot safe.

(not really what I thought I'd be writing about on my 1400th post)

Troll1216

distracted driving

The biggest problem is driving has become a right rather than a privilage. People are also far too comfortable in their vehicles and do not relize the ammount of carnage a vehicle can do.

Some of you guys may have read my S-280 camper rebuild, I was reciently forced to stop work on the project, stop spending money on the things that I enjoy to pay additional bills, was out of work for over two weeks twice and unable to use my strong hand for anything for most of that time.

I was struck by a drunk/drugged driver, fortunately I was one of the lucky few as nothing was broken, I do have some soft tissue damage though. 3 inches more and I would have lost a leg, 3 additional inches and it would have cost me my life. I was next to my marked police car with lights active directing traffic, wearing a traffic vest and holding a flashlight. I was directing traffic around a crash. I was not on a highway, I was 50 to 75 yards from a major interscetion that had a functional stop light.

Please take the time to discuss with the wife (or husband), kids, friends or family, that do distracting things while they drive. You will save yourself, them, and someone else a lot of misery.

Thanks for listening to the rant, but please, take a second and pull over to dial or text, or use a hands free device, the life you save might be your own.

olewhiskey

When the transportation we are allowed to use by big sister, is controlled to the foot of distance,speed and location, after we have filed our travel plans for our own and others safety, after an environmental impact study has been reviewed, when an appropriate distance and paperwork application form(s) have been reviewed by our safety experts, then we will enjoy safe travel with every law that can be thought of by the safety" experts". The camels nose is under the tent, who's pushing it from behind ?
I've been hit by drunk drivers twice, hit at lights by speeders, clipped by dump trucks. I drive an average of 60K a year. I am not interested in any more laws. They can enforce the ones they already have on the books. There are 1000s .

Last edited:

eagle4g63

Sorry about your incident Troll1216, I hear many people talk about this same thing around me(I live near Gary-Everyone is on the phone or laying half on their side while driving) And these Kids now a days CAN'T do ANYTHING without PHONE A FRIEND!!!

This is why I sold my motorcycle, I CAN'T feel safe around here on one! I drive my deuce everyday as a normal work truck and laugh about the idiot things I see. I don't use my phone while I drive(and with the truck I couldn't if I wanted-great excuse when someone is bitching about me not answering)

I remember being told growing up, that when you are behind the wheel of a car you HAVE ONE JOB!!! DRIVE THE D@#$ CAR!!! Now we don't need any more laws saying how we should drive it just some one to slap the SH%$ out of us upside the head when we DON'T do OUR JOB.

Enough about my rant, I hate new laws cause the ones that are there already aren't doing a darn thing anyway, just slap someone upside the head and point out their mistake and ask all around you to do the same(also to yourself)

P.S. Doing your job CAN be FUN if you do it SAFE--that isn't just with driving!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about your accident Troll but there's already laws on the books and that didn't stop the drunk from getting behind the wheel before he hit you. How many drunks are out there getting multiple DUIs and the courts still let them drive? Passing another law won't stop them since the ones already there aren't stopping them. Get them a breathalyzer hook up and they find a different vehicle. Take their license and they'll just drive without it (and without insurance since they can't afford it with the DUI on their record). You may stop 1 or 2 with a new law because they'd be inclined to obey it anyway but you won't stop the majority that think it won't/can't happen to them. Maybe if we just castrated all of the DUI lawyers so they couldn't breed...

I know you're talking about self-restraint and responsibility but the OP was talking more regulation.

Last edited:

firebuilder

Once saw a guy in an SUV on a cell phone with one hand and writing something on one of those notepads that sticks to the windshield with a suction cup, pass me at about 85-90 mph on the freeway. Several miles up the road he was in the median, having rolled several times before coming to a stop. Luckily he didn't injure or kill anyone else. I can only think that he got what was coming. There were already others stopped assisting, so I didn't. For the sake of his family, I hope he survived, without major injuries.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once saw a guy in an SUV on a cell phone with one hand and writing something on one of those notepads that sticks to the windshield with a suction cup, pass me at about 85-90 mph on the freeway. Several miles up the road he was in the median, having rolled several times before coming to a stop. Luckily he didn't injure or kill anyone else. I can only think that he got what was coming. There were already others stopped assisting, so I didn't. For the sake of his family, I hope he survived, without major injuries.
It's probably not the right thing to do, but I'd stop, render any aid needed, and then tell the moron he got exactly what he deserved. And not nicely.

My daughter is in the process of getting her license, and the first thing I told her was that she'd done a lot of things in her life, but driving is the first thing that she's ever done that could kill her or someone else.

Myself, I don't text, period. I think it's a stupid way to communicate, I've got voice mail on my phone. (My wife will spend a half hour texting back and forth with the woman next door. :roll::roll::roll:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i had a lady pull out infront of me in a parking lot last afternoon. i hit the air horn.... i wonder what she was thinking when she looked in her mirror and saw nothing but bumper in her mirror. i dont know if she was on the phone or not though.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was struck by a drunk/drugged driver, fortunately I was one of the lucky few as nothing was broken, I do have some soft tissue damage though. 3 inches more and I would have lost a leg, 3 additional inches and it would have cost me my life. I was next to my marked police car with lights active directing traffic, wearing a traffic vest and holding a flashlight. I was directing traffic around a crash. I was not on a highway, I was 50 to 75 yards from a major interscetion that had a functional stop light.
My ex is a former LEO. One night while I was listening to a scanner and her cruiser was hit. Needless to say her cruiser was hit while it was partially blocking a state route while she directed traffic around an accident. Lights on at night. Fortunately she was not near it. Some dumba$$ didn't see it......right.

Remember, those who give up freedom for safety deserve neither.

SMOKEWAGON66

Well said,common sense was not given to everybody..And only certain people are able to multitask on multiple levels.....

...I beleive these certain people are refferred to as : USN/USAF/USMC/USA fighter/helicopter pilots.

no one driving a vehicle should need to have to multi task on multiple levels other then to operate the euipment....if anything more is needed, then have a TC ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks