Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Allison 1545 Automatic Transmission Specs

4 Star General
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bj1104 View Post
    I have recently had issues with my A3. When I bought my truck it still had motor oil instead of normal ATF. I had a problem with it going into reverse. So the first thing I did as drained the fluid and the spin on filter. After that it started shifting so much smoother. But about 2 weeks later 4th gear was acting up and reverse was no longer working. While hoping the fluid needed changed to remove more of the motor oil from it I got a pan gasket(bought the wrong pan filter), screw on filter and fluid. I dropped the pan, cleaned the residue out of the pan and pan filter(has a brass screen in it) and the screw on filter. I put it together and shifted through the gears but reverse barely works. By barely I mean on flat ground.

Don't keep going. The more you use it the worse off the piston in the 4th and rev. clutch pack will get. Mine had gotten so hot, the aluminum piston melted, sending aluminum debris, mixed with clutch fiction materials into the pan. Note that the filter (pan) has probably kept it from going into the pump, but continued use could take it into the pump and valve body. Sorry for your luck.

4 Star General
    Thanks

bj1104, If you have not ran it too long with this condition, you may not have destroyed the aluminum piston in that clutch pack (it's not the end if you have). In that case, seals, new friction plates and steel plates will be required but not necessarily the piston replaced. The cause is probably leaking seals on the clutch pack or torque converter. There is no way of knowing until it's entirely disassembled.

Here is a suggestion...consider using a rebuilt 545 and forget the locking torque converter.

I still don't have mine back in, but have about $2k in the rebuild.

Here is the problem with new old stock tranny replacement. The new seals are PTFE and can hold 20% more pressure and have considerably longer life than the OEM. Also, if like me, the torque converter needs upgraded with new input hub and the single locking ring replaced with a three clutch setup. They do this on a lot of racing diesels.

So while NOS is available to replace the entire tranny, you won't have the upgrades that are known to make this a better tranny.

Private
    Thanks

tobyS, did you end getting your torque convertor updated? Who did you find out to do the work? I am more than likely taking my truck to the local Allison shop to have them look at it. I don't have the space to keep a inoperable truck nor any easy way to remove it.

4 Star General
    Thanks

Dacco in Tennessee did the TC. Had shipping 2 ways but they only charged me $150.

http://www.daccoinc.com/products/torque-converters

Yea, Allison will know what to do. the Torque converter issue may throw them a curve ball, as their books say TC components are not available. The tranny guts (frictions and steels...parts you have to replace) other than 2 seals are the same as the 545.

I'd almost bet they have a 545 with a std (non locking) TC setting around. Unless a highway truck, why have the locking torque converter?

Private
    Thanks

Well I got word my transmission is shot and needs rebuilt. They were able to get a replacement torque convertor but I decided to send it to Dacco instead. The replacement was $2100, but Lee at Dacco said I could get the triple clutch upgrade for about $1000. I will be shipping it to him Monday. It is going to take about a week for Penn Diesel to get the parts to repair the rest of the transmission. Will hopefully get it back in a few weeks.

Private
    Thanks

tobyS I got the total for the stock rebuild for my torque convertor. It was only$200 and with shipping to and from Dacco my total ended up being about $350. I was thinking of the billet center and better lockup clutch set ups but I really didn't want to have to wait till mid January to get my truck back. The guy that does the custom work was only there a few more days this year and was on vacation till the first week of the new year. One advantage is it kept the cost down.
    Thanks again for the referral. Was totally worth it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bj1104 For This Useful Post:

tobyS (07-26-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bj1104 View Post
    tobyS I got the total for the stock rebuild for my torque convertor. It was only$200 and with shipping to and from Dacco my total ended up being about $350. I was thinking of the billet center and better lockup clutch set ups but I really didn't want to have to wait till mid January to get my truck back. The guy that does the custom work was only there a few more days this year and was on vacation till the first week of the new year. One advantage is it kept the cost down.
    Thanks again for the referral. Was totally worth it
    Glad it worked out. As far as I know, they are the only ones that can do it. And after having the tranny rebuilt, it makes no sense not to have it done, just to know there are no clutch particles inside. Best of luck.

4 Star General
    Thanks

I'm bringing this thread back to add the part number for the fourth and reverse aluminum piston, when I get it located. If anyone has that part number, when I went through the rebuilding process, I didn't record it. It's an important part since the OEM piston seals were inferior and result in burnt clutch's AND a melted aluminum piston for that clutch pack.

DO NOT GIVE YOUR ENGINE MORE FUEL WHEN YOU FEEL THE SLIPPAGE, MELTING THE ALUMINUM PISTON IS ONE THING... GETTING HOT ENOUGH TO TAKE THE TEMPER FROM THE STEEL HOUSING AND SHAFT IS MORE SERIOUS...entirely avoidable.

The piston is the same as the much more common Allison 545. Will add numbers when I find them.
    M35A3 4x4 "Money Pit"
    M929A2
    (14) 5 tons bought and sold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tobyS For This Useful Post:

Eliteweapons (05-22-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks

The fourth/reverse piston is Allison 29505882 and they have an E on them across from the part number.

Here is what I posted on another thread also. I'm going to post this on a couple of old threads that are likely to get hits when researching the Allison 1545 that is in our M35A3's.

They are prone to having the fourth/reverse clutch pack go out, probably at least in part to the locking torque converter but also inferior OEM seals on that piston. New seals are better.

If you find non-magnetic aluminum in your pan, that is probably the piston for the fourth clutch pack....and a full rebuild, including steels and frictions should be your next step. If you find small magnetic metal, it is probably the vanes in the torque converter that are coming in contact. Those are the conditions on 2 that I have encountered and I'm soon to start a third.

When a full rebuild is necessary, the Allison 545 is the mother of the 1545 and except for the seal that is on the locking torque converter, the master rebuild kits for the 545 will be what you need to rebuild the 1545. Those kits are readily available. I prefer the Raybestos frictions myself.

The seal on the locking torque converter (input seal) which mounts on the pump input that is NOT included in that kit is National Seal #29506179.

I was told on my first one of these that there were 2 seals and they were proprietary, so I had to order the basic seal kit that included them. They must have wanted to sell the extra kit....because this seal can be bought individually.

Don't look at the outside of your torque converter and think all is okay within...have Dacco rebuild it or you risk dumping metal into the fresh rebuilt 1545, straight into the bearings, gears, governor and valve body, as the TC is after the pump but before the other items in the hydraulic circuit.. Thus any debris made in the TC is after the filter....not good.
    Last edited by tobyS; 07-09-2019 at 10:36.
    M35A3 4x4 "Money Pit"
    M929A2
    (14) 5 tons bought and sold

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobyS For This Useful Post:

cucvmule (07-09-2019), Sgt Jiggins (09-04-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2