• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Engine Belts

AIE1

Guys I have an M35A2 with the LD465 series engine and 60 Amp Alternator. What are the civilian part numbers of the belts required both alt and compressor?
Thanks in advance.

bguy193

Belt, Air Compressor..........MIL#...MS51066C51..........NAPA#.......25-9510
Belt, Alternator (pair).......MIL#...MS51066-47-2......NAPA#.......25-9470
:driver:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just an FYI, i think the length of the alt belts on the deuce are 47 inches? somebody correct me if i am wrong. but when i put the delco 10SI alternator bracket above my original 24 volt alternator, i actually ordered a belt 1/2" shorter to allow the alternator to be closer to the engine block when the belt is tightened. when the alternator was closer to the block, it allowed me to use the stock slotted alternator bracket where i wouldnt have been able to before. long story behind that reasoning. so one belt was a half inch shorter than the stock belts i had before and another belt was longer to reach to the 10SI alternator. anyway, im not saying that you guys have the wrong belt size at all either. just saying per my custom application, i was also able to use a half inch shorter belt too. for what its worth, that was my experience too. maybe at lunch time, i can run out and get the belt number of what i used. it was a little harder to get on the pulleys also and i did it when the radiator was off. so just replacing belts might be easier with the extra half inch. :)

AIE1

I just finished installing the belts, went with suggestion of shorter 25-9465 (2 each) and used the 25-9510 on the compressor. No problem with the shorter belts, leaves room for tighting belts about 2" more. When I first put that engine in the truck, I installed the 60 Amp Alternator before the radiator was installed. Talk about a bear, that front lower Alt mounting bolt cotter pin, about drove me to drink. Its all good now. Thanks for the help!

jhoot1970

New to posting but I think I need help?

Have to put all new belts on my 1972 Kaiser M109A3.

Have seen posts saying I need a special wrench?
Where to get one?

Any videos of this procedure would be of significant help also?

Hope I haven't stepped on any toes?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Example: https://midwestmilitaryequipment.co...et-m35a2-multi-fuel-m54-adjust-belt-military/

You can do it without...a pipe wrench or adjustable wrench can also work...but easiest is the wrench set.

As for the procedure...the pulley on the air compressor is two halves. The closer you move them together, the narrower the V-shaped gap/groove becomes the belt runs in, so it forces the belt to run higher up on the pulley, increasing belt tension. The two halves sit on a threaded pipe and you can spin them together or apart.

I am sure you have found/downloaded/looked at the Technical Manuals (TM) for your truck? If I don't say it, someone will!
These give you step by step instruction and pictures for practically anything you ever need to do on the truck.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is like an air-cooled VW, remember one belt.

Soak the bolts with Kroil for a few daze and go away
Don't need no special wrenches..............

As Rustystud says just loosen the bolts holding it and crank the engine with no start.
It will tighten right up. Then re-tighten your bolts.

Or you could get out all this stuff................
c ompressor stuff IMG_7243.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks