• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

832 dolly for containers

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It would be a slow tow.......the whole time I was in the Army (34 1/2 years) I never saw a container being towed with one of those set ups. We had some in one unit I was in but they stayed in the Motor Pool the whole time I was stationed there.

They tend to get squirriley over thirty MPH.

sail-bum

I was afraid of that, several people have stated that the dolly sets are not very stable on the road.

I am trying to figure out a way to tow an "RV" behind my deuce. I want something that is capable of being towed just about anywhere that the deuce can go. I do not want a m109 for the simple fact of not being able to leave the living area at a base camp while the truck is still usable as a truck. Kind of along the fifth wheel camper ideas.

I have contemplated utilizing a M109 box but on what trailer?

I am open for ideas, as I obviously have no set idea at this time.

paradeduty

Hey Sail Bum,

Possibly one of the 5-Ton Flatbed Trailers would work - would be easy to set up with the 4 "jack legs" at the corners and fairly close to the ground (I think the deck height is 32 or 36 inches). If you want to do a more "permanent" setup - could use a 4-ton bolster trailer which is basically the same axles, rims and tires as the flatbed but with an open "carriage" for carrying pipe, etc. You could possibly strip down the bolster trailer to its frame and set the 109 box lower than on top of the flatbed deck - althought the flatbed could be multipurpose if you had a way of hoisting the "box" on and off. I have one of each of these trailers for sale in the classifieds if you need pictures for ideas. Here is some more of the flatbed.

Attachments

paradeduty

OOOOO MDSA - You're Good!

Yup - that one is a M989A1 (that replaced the M989 - totally different trailers, just intended for the same purpose). It is going to get a "sprucing up" and will be pulled by the 5-Ton HMTT (not HEMTT) Prototype in parades and such.

She is a slow mover, though, as she has a version of wagon steering (both front wheels pivot on their own spindles like a car, as opposed to the "platform" type of wagon steering which is common for "dolly conversions"). She might handle a little better than I expect as when I towed her home the air bag suspension was not pressurized which could have made it a little squirley.

Attachments

sail-bum

I like the flat beds and have been keeping an eye out, although I do question the weight of it as a good trailer for the deuce. The bolster trailer is a good idea, and of course I have let several of those pass me up in the last several months.

I will be installing a mep-002 on this rig, so weight is only one consideration that I have to keep in mind.

paradeduty

As I said, I think the 5-ton flat bed and the 4-ton bolster trailers are essentially the same tailer suspension, axles, rims, tires - they may have just lowered the bolster's rating due to it being designed with an extendable drawbar. I have been told that these trailers share the same wheel bolt pattern as the 2 1/2 ton 6x6's. Could always check that out if you wanted to run the same tires/rims as your Deuce tow vehicle (just wild thoughts). Don't know how big (physically) the genny is, but could it possibly fit mostly on the "V-Tongue" of a typical trailer structure - if so, it might not add that much to your overall length. That is one thing that I like about the 5-ton flatbeds is the 4 corner jacks - they do not take up any tongue space, they allow you to "jack up and lower" the front of the trailer for easier hitching up, and they are great for leveling whatever load (like a generator or camper - or both) for ease of use and comfort (and they are already there and they seem really heavy duty to take the rumbling of the generator!). Hey - that is one thing that I just thought about - if you mount the genny to the same "trailer" as the camper, do they have good enough vibration dampening to make your stay in your "green hotel" tollerable. It might be, but I can imagine that most military gennys are designed for function not comfort. Even if you do quiet it down, the vibration might require additional dampening. Don't really know - just spilling some grey matter stuff! Dave.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Have you seen the pics of trailers made from M109's......pull the engine and driveline.....bend the frame rails in and put a lunette hitch on it.

Several members have these setups. You could also use a standard deuce bed and put a S280 shelter in it.

paradeduty

You're right WM - those are pretty cool. If you end up buying a complete 109 for the box - what the heck - sure beats hoisting the box and having to reanchor it. Seems way too straightforeward though....rims and tires are already the same size, frames are already the same height for the pintle, cut-bend-weld-add one or two semi-style landing gear jacks. You're right - probably the ticket. Heck - if you do it right, could keep the frame a bit long out front for the genny, and be able to keep the fuel tank and spare tire hanger (have to check on the tongue weight based on the stock rear boggie location). WM - do you just pull the axle shafts - do you really need to pull the diff's? I know it is nice having spare parts, but would the weight be a concern? Dave.

quickfarms

The 5 ton flat bed M1061A1 weighs almost 5000 lbs empty and it would brobably be very taxing on the duece.

The bolster trailer weighs almos the same.

I have a M1061A1 and a bolster trailer.

I used the bolster trailer for parts when we were working on the M1061A1.

The tire, rims and axles are the same.

The suspension is very similar.

Have you considered an M105 with the box on it?

paradeduty

Whew! Mr QuickFarms - you are right - but even on the light side a bit! Went back a page and checked my own pictures (rocket science!) - sure enough: over 5500 lbs EMPTY. I guess they are stout little gals. Thanks for the heads up there.

NEIOWA

Has anyone modified a m832 for moving 20ft shipping containers? Or is this idea a great way to waste money and die?
I looking for only moving an ISO container I'd find a M1022 Mobilizer (Dolly). Tow great smooth and straight at 65mph with just the dolly sections connected together (no box).

Also have an M832 Also tows very nicely with front/rear directly hooked together. Now has 2 16ft 4x4 box beams welded between th efrt/rr for a MEP009 generator trailer. Tows great.

Alsoi have some M720 dollys. Have only pulled these in the frt/rr configuration. A wiggling swaying scary all over the road snake at 35mph. I had 2 daisy chain for recovery from Ft McCoy. 95F for 200mi. Twice (4 dollys). I'll chalk it up to light weight and a very very short WB. Have not used them yet but I like them. Hopefully with a longer WB will work out.

All are full trailers with wagon steering so backing is entirely different than a bumper hitch trl.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Backing up an M720 connected to an S280 is like trying to stick a wet noodle up you know where.
aaargh:evil:
Bruce
PS: No wildcats were abused or maligned in the above statement.

quickfarms

I was quoting the weights for the M1061A1 memory

And the data plate is missing from the pole dolly.

The M1061 is very stout but my truck weighs about 10 tons empty, so it is not that much of a problem

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to search for TM's for my M832 dolly and found this post, the guy that deleverd mine said he heard of a guy who did some mods to one and towed a 40' container from Ca to Maine. :shock:

StrykerPerry

KIMG5225.jpgi live in a s280. Use the m720 dolly. I can back it really good. Also it tows about 45 mph with my loaded shelter. And I towed an empty one about 65 mph. I am working on a straight hitch version right now that eliminates the front axle. Also empty m720 dollies without shelters are designed to have the hitch tied straight. Also the tow in should be about 1/8" and should be even with the hitch to tow better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks