• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Return fuel line Fittings

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I have seen a number of fuel line threads, but I went to Napa today to get some fittings to bypass the cold start system and all they had was this.
The compression farrule is built into the nut.
Do you think this will work or have any of you guys used this type before?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not used that type of fitting. It looks like it should work, if thats what it is designed to do(replace a ferrule and nut).

You can reuse your original nut, and use a new standard 1/4" ferrule.

Either way, use that insert!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not used that type of fitting. It looks like it should work, if thats what it is designed to do(replace a ferrule and nut).

Doghead, Thanks!! But what ferrules do you use? Will the ones from Hone Depot work?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, standard brass plumbing ferrules will work just fine.

davey8943

M35A2-AZ,

Below is a page from the PS that Cranetruck posted in another thread a EARLIER TODAY! He was referencing the airpack service half of the page, but there is some good info on the fuel lines.

It just goes to show you that sometimes I actually remember something I read around here :D

Thanks to Cranetruck!

Dave

Attachments

3rdmdqm

What happens if you don't use the insert? I have seen fuel line set ups with the nut and ferrule and no insert.

Heavysteven

The Air brake tubing works well, but you have to use the insert too.

I agree here is what i bought from McMaster when i did mine. I did not use all of it so if your on a tight budget you don't have to order all this.

15097T61825 Ft.D.o.t. Choose-a-color Nylon Tubing For Air, Nonreinforced,.17"id,1/4"od, .040"wall,yellow,25'l25097T66225 Ft.D.o.t. Choose-a-color Nylon Tubing For Air, Reinforced,.251"id, 3/8"od,.062"wall, Yellow, 25'l351835K2811 PackBrass Dot Compression Tube Fit For Nylon Tube, Sleeve For 1/4" Tube Od451835K2821 PackBrass Dot Compression Tube Fit For Nylon Tube, Sleeve For 3/8" Tube Od551835K2911 PackBrass Dot Compression Tube Fit For Nylon Tube, Nut For 1/4" Tube Od651835K2921 PackBrass Dot Compression Tube Fit For Nylon Tube, Nut For 3/8" Tube Od78359K11325 Ft.High-strength Clear Nylon Tubing, .096" Id, 1/8" Od, .014" Wall Thickness, 25'l850915K2411 PackCopper Tube Support For 1/8" Tube Od950915K2451 PackStandard Brass Compression Tube Fitting, Tube Support For 3/8" Tube Od1050915K2431 PackStandard Brass Compression Tube Fitting, Tube Support For 1/4" Tube Od

AZDeuce

M35A2-AZ

Just use the parts they have at Lowes, it has worked for me on the deuce, and years ago on the 5-Ton. I even use the roll of plastic tubing they sell there, lasted over 7 years on the 5-ton it may still be working, but I sold that beast so don't know.

w3azel

How are you guys removing the old fitting to reuse them? Mine seem attached to end of the copper line and won't come off. Also they don't have the ferrel or compressing sleeve you guys are showing. Its just a double flare fitting like you'd see on brake lines. I think the 90* elbow for the return and the breather are pipe thread so I was just going to replace it with one fitting but I can't seem to figure out the other ones.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fitting/nut, in the 1st post is not re-useable. Use standard "DOT Air Brake Fittings". You have to use the insert, to back up the compression of the ferrel. The nut will be re-useable. So is the insert, but not the ferrel (keep a handful of extras). You can though, disconnect the fitting/joint. If you want to start over, just cut off the ferrel & the insert. To re-use the insert, I just carefully grind the ferrel through to the plastic, at 180* points, and discard the waste. The DOT Air Brake ferrels are different then standard compression ferrels, and should not be mixed. The Air Brake tubing is immune to fuel & most solvents, and is virtually vibration resistant. It should still be protected. Just be carefully around excessive heat, like exhaust pipes & especially with a torch. The stuff can be had at heavy truck stores & dealers, Napa, etc., but not at HD/Lowes.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found that the ferrules (standard plumbing ferrules) were too wide to allow the stock compression nut to grab the first threads. I had to run the ferrules over the grinder a bit to get the compression nut on. Worked ok and no leaks.

w3azel

I just came back from napa and the guy there was confused as **** as which sizes and parts I should be using. So could someone give me a break down as to what size tubing and fitting sizes I should be using. Im replacing the lines from the tank to their respective next fitting which I assume is the same double flare size as is at the tank. Also do I need to have the ferrules that are flat on one side or do the standard air brake ferrules work? I see the one post has 3/8, 1/4, and 1/8 for the air hose but the guy said those are to small from what he could tell. If those are correct then I apologize for wasting any ones time. I guess Ill just order them myself and skip the confused napa guy.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All tubing sizes are listed in the parts TM.

w3azel

The parts tm is the copper tubing and when we matched fitting from copper to air line the tube size they used was different. That's where the confusion is coming in. They don't have the same size tubing when you change over to air line fittings. So the TM isn't useful.

brianp454

This is a cut and paste of my youtube video for bypassing the FDC:

How-to video of me doing it real time.

McMaster part numbers I used:
5583K48 Abrasion-Resistant White ETFE Tubing, .278" ID, 3/8" OD, .048" Wall, Semi-Clear White
50915K615 Brass Sleeve for 3/8" Tube OD, Brass Compression Tube Fitting, Packs of 10
50915K245 Tube Support for 3/8" Tube OD X 1/4" Tube ID, Brass Compression Tube Fitting, Packs of 10

5583K46 Abrasion-Resistant White ETFE Tubing, .187" ID, 1/4" OD, .031" Wall, Semi-Clear White, 10' L
50915K613 Brass Sleeve for 1/4" Tube OD, Brass Compression Tube Fitting, packs of 10
50915K243 Tube Support for 1/4" Tube OD X 1/8" Tube ID, Brass Compression Tube Fitting, Packs of 10

I chose ETFE because it has excellent chemical compatibility characteristics and you can see if there is fuel or bubbles inside it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks