• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

let's see your military radio collection....

mutt1966

Thought Id post some pics of my Military Aircraft Ground to Air UHF Radios
On the left PRC-41A in front of that PRC-66B in the middle VRC-24 using a AT/803 Antenna
on the right a PRC-660

Attachments

Catfuel

I've got a GRC-106A in a restored / converted MTC-7 shelter. It had an SB-86 which I gave to my friend John. I also have an SB-22 switchboard installed in the shelter. It all works as advertised. GRA-6 remote control for the shelter radio (untested so far) We used the MSC-37 shelter this past weekend in Amateur Radio Field Day. Along with a bunch of accessories for the radio, I have 2 TA-43's 2 TA-312's, 6 EE-8's and about 20 miles of telephone wire. 1 early military GPS unit I'd like to get a new home. I used to have an ARB Navy aircraft reciever I'm kicking myself for selling. The collection also includes various bits of WW-2 hardware.

Wile E. Coyote

1 early military GPS unit I'd like to get a new home. .
What type of early military GPS unit do you have? Pic would be great.

Sounds like a fun setup. I want to get my GRC-122 out to a show at some point but the truck it's sitting on needs a fair bit of TLC first.

Red_506

I'll see about getting some pics, but my meager collection includes:
PRC 25
PRC 77
AM 2060
R 442
PRC 249
PRC 127(4)
PRC 614-need antenna and battery

Pakfront

Lets see....1 "working" RT-524 (Guy on EBAY said it worked); 1 "working RT-524 (Guy at Findlay said that two components needed replacing); 1 "working" R-442 (Guy at Hamvention said it worked) a VRM-1A Radio Test Set, plus just about everything to get two "working" KY-57s (KY-57s are encryption devices therefore all the ones you find are the shells, would just need to run wire from one port to the other to fake it) and before I can test/make sure any of it is working I'm waiting on the power cable for the power supply to show up.....aua

Paperweight

This is the receiver section of an Emerson AN/GRR-5. Working on going over this with a fine tooth comb. I may repaint the exterior cabinet if not the whole thing. It is an early model from 1952 or 53 judging from the dates on the capacitors. It originally had an OD crinkle finish that has been painted over several times and beat to crap. Of course it's all peeling now. Trying to find the right shade of olive drab. It's been said that they used WW 2 paint standards into the Korean War era.

Also in my collection is a R-392, R-100/URR and a 20 watt FM 25MHz transmitter I forget the name of. Numerous civilian farm radios and a 1936 RCA console. All vacuum tubes, all the time.

Attachments

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Paperweight,

Those are neat little receivers. I have one that I got working once by using several external power supplies for power, but I don't have the original power supply. Do you have the power supply? The PS's are commonly kaput.

Good luck.

Bob WB4ETT

Paperweight

I had a DC to DC converter pack around somewhere I got off of eBay for a TransOceanic. Both receivers have a very similar tube compliment. The only bad thing is the slight amount of hum from the converter. I also have a small conventional power supply I got from Antique Electronics Supply for any and all battery powered tube radios.

I still have the power supply section sitting in the cabinet. I fired it up at one time without the receiver connected to it since I didn't trust it. The old vibrators make a heck of a racket. If I remember right, the B+ was well over 100 volts so it's a good thing I didn't risk the receiver. I'll go over it thoroughly when funds for parts allow. I figure I can fit the replacement capacitors inside the original can caps if they prove to be faulty. No reason to spoil the original look if I can help it.

For the R-392 I have a switchmode power supply that works well along with an unregulated conventional 27.5 volt 7 amp Elpac power supply from Fair Radio Sales. I figure if I get a chassis for it, I'll use the Elpac when I get the radio in working order. If I add enough capacitance to it, I figure it will be about as good as a regulated supply. The main thing I'm missing is the tuning meter that was pulled because of radium paint. Finding something that will fit in the hole and around the same specs of 17 ohms and 1mA FSD is a challenge.

davesgmc

Pic 1 is the RT-524/R-442 setup for the V100. I haven't installed it yet, so I 'borrowed' a picture of the one at Ft Snelling, I'll replace the pic later when mine is in. It is attached to a 4-position VIC-1.

The other radios are Clansman gear I have, namely PRC-349, -350, -351 and -352. The PRC-352 is just a -351 with a 20w amplifier attached to it. In that configuration, it cannot be run off the radio's own whip, it has to be attached to a larger ground spike antenna or one in a vehicle.
The Clansman radios are good quality, and cheap to buy. They are fully compatible with US radios (specifically designed to be so).
Again, I borrowed the -349 and -350 pictures, since I haven't taken any of my own.

The 351/352 can be run off a 24v vehicle through the DCCU, you can see it on the floor in the M1009. It is hooked to the vehicle antenna.
I am currently putting together a semi-permanent vehicle mount adapted from the Brit parts to fit in the M1009. Until then, it works fine seat-belted in!
Last pics show the M1009 as it was displayed at the local Boy Scout jamboree. In the back are Pawnshop's -351, with my -350 just visible to the right of it by the spare tire.
Note the clever wrap-around of the camo net to cover the orange ice chest..:razz:

Cheers

PS- the 1009 has had the driver's door panel reinstalled since that photo was taken!

have you actually used your clansman 351 and talked to the rt524? we seem to have problems with the 351's wanting to play nicel with the 524. the 349 to the 524 is fine, and the 349 to the 351 is great. didnt know if you had similar results

oh and the 351 worked well with a prc77, just the 524 it had problems getting along with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks