• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1980's usmc markings needed

SteveKuhn

"...2 tm manuals for USMC colors and markings..."

Could you please list those TM numbers? I'm most interested in seeing them. I'll try the Internet to download them.

If I can't get what I want in color for restoring my NYARNG deuce, the Marines might just requisition it.

Thanks.

shootist

Sure here is one: TM4750-15/1
I gotta locate the other numbeR
I think they both have the origin of the markings decree in them

Mike:
"H&S Co BLT 1/8
Beirut Lebanon
24 Marine Amphibious Unit
1983"

What this means is-
Head Quarters Service Company 1st Battalion 8th Marines
24th Marine Amphibious Unit
which is of the Second Marine Division.
At that time the commander actually assigned the vehicle numbers
So not knowing your Fathers platoon or other unit info a good example would be:
markings should be a 7x7 square on doors or side panels with 102 in the middle of it, on drivers side rear the number 102.
in Beirut the vehicles where a "dirty tan"
so marking will be in black
the numbers 102 above mean: H&S CO 1st Battalion, Battalion CP, Bravo Command
Hope this helps Let me know if you need any more info.
I have a good friend that survived that incident although severely and permanently injured physically
I may be able to get more info from him

Incase you dont know here is what an H&S CO is this was Copied from USMC article in 1999:

A Headquarters and Service Company is a company sized military unit, found at the battalion level and higher in the United States Marine Corps. In identifying a specific headquarters unit, it is usually referred to by its abbreviation as H&S. While a regular line company is formed of three or four platoons, H&S is made up of the headquarters staff and headquarters support personnel of a battalion, regiment, division, or corps. As these personnel do not fall inside one of the regular line companies of the battalion, brigade, or division, the H&S Unit is the unit to which they are administratively assigned. The typical personnel strength of an average H&S Company for a Marine infantry battalion is 270 personnel.
Inside a battalion H&S, the headquarters staff will usually include the following key officers and primary staff officers:

• a battalion commander, usually a lieutenant colonel
  • a battalion executive officer, usually a major
  • an administration and personnel officer (S1), usually a Marine captain
  • an intelligence and counterintelligence officer (S2), usually a captain
  • an operations and training officer (S3), usually a major
  • a logistics officer (S4), usually a captain
  • a plans officer (S5), usually a captain
  • a communications and information officer (S6), usually a captain
Depending on the unit, extra support officers will round out the staff, including one or two Navy Medical Corps officer(s), a United States Marine Corps Judge Advocate Division officer, and a Navy Chaplain Corps officer (often collectively referred to as the "special staff"), as well as essential non-commissioned officers and enlisted support personnel in the occupational specialities of the staff sections (S1 through S4 and the S6), and a battalion sergeant major, who is principal advisor to the battalion commander on matters regarding enlisted personnel. Additionally, H&S will contain further personnel assigned to support and sustain the mission of the battalion headquarters, including maintenance and motor transport, field mess, and supply.
H&S itself will be commanded by a company commander (usually a captain) who is supported by a company executive officer (usually a first lieutenant) and a company first sergeant. All personnel in H&S fall under the administrative command of the H&S company commander, but in practice, the primary and special staff officers report directly to the battalion commander, and while the battalion commander is administratively assigned to H&S, he or she is the H&S company commander's higher commander and thus the H&S company commander operationally answers directly to the battalion commander. The mission of the H&S company commander is to run the administrative and Marine training aspects of H&S, and to support the battalion primary staff by facilitating the environment in which they operate and in turn support the battalion commander in commanding the battalion.
At the regimental and division level, H&S is similarly constituted of the regimental or division commander, his or her staff, and the support elements, but the ranks of the staff and support personnel are typically greater to reflect the greater level of responsibility at higher echelon units. However, the company commander of a regimental H&S is usually still a captain. A division H&S is usually a battalion in itself and is commanded by a lieutenant colonel.
In keeping with the long standing practice of referring to company sized artillery units as "batteries" the headquarters company element of an artillery battalion or higher is referred as a Headquarters and Service Battery. Additionally, some high level headquarters elements for special units are not company sized and are referred to as "detachments;" as a result, these units are formally referred to as Headquarters and Service Detachments

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

"...Sure here is one: TM4750-15/1...I gotta locate the other number..."

Thanks. Google showed both a /1 and a /2 for that number but I can't find a download except one that inisists you log on to your Facebook account. I fell for that once about 6 weeks ago and aborted it as soon as I saw what it was trying to get from my machine. The site was Scribd in case anyone wants to comment on them.

I'll keep looking.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike:
"H&S Co BLT 1/8
Beirut Lebanon
24 Marine Amphibious Unit
1983"

What this means is-
Head Quarters Service Company 1st Battalion 8th Marines
24th Marine Amphibious Unit
which is of the Second Marine Division.
And BLT stands for Battalion Landing Team.

Cheers

aiwiron

I was with 22 MAU 2/8 and to be honest with you I have no clue what markings most had on them in Lebanon, I will have to find a old friend from French Creek Motor T and will do some searching for you.

Both the 22 and the 24 MAU were very close in many ways, perhaps the Gunny can answer some questions you have.

jeepzilla47

WOW:shock:!!!! Been a while, I forgot to subscribe to the thread.....:oops: Thanks so much for the info!!!! Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, it does not look like I will get it painted before cold weather sets in. I am going to try and find a sand blaster to blast the truck for me and just apply primer. Then I can spray it.

Shootist, if you still have the manuals, let me know. I am very interested in them. I can PM you my email addy.

also, you said the vehicles where a dirty tan?!?! so it was a solid color???

aiwiron

One more question, should i brush the paint?? I dont want it to look perfect, i would rather it look like it just come off active duty.
I can honestly say any truck with 2nd never seen a air gun unless it was fresh out of Crisp, original redo had brush paint that was camo or redone.

shootist

Mike
pm me with email. I figure out how to get you the tm's.
"Dirty tan" sorry for the poor description, i asked the guy about colors again
the few vechicles that were there were either dark green, or a woodland kinda camo
that Marines made the primary color more of a tan. (Hence dirty tan ) according to him.
guess when they brushed the color on it looked "dirty" silly name but good description

He said picture painting your forest green truck with patterns of tan using an old paint brush.
the tan would look "filthy"

Get goin on that truck you have plenty of time!!

jason riffey

thank you all so much for your info. I am very excited to make my deuce a Marine. Its great to hear from all you jarheads as well. Saw an awesome bumper sticker the other day. "Not as lean, just as mean, always a Marine" I love it. Semper Fi Devil dogs

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As an Marine aviation type Crew Chief currently without a helicopter (an none in the future for that matter), I am using my unconventional markings as would have been on my CH-53A. See photo

Attachments

tagoins888

Thanks for all the good info on here guys. Our son is USMC and is currently deployed in Afghanistan. I was pretty sure when we got it that the markings on our M923A1 were not correct. I am going to paint them and figured while I'm at it, why not make it right for his unit? Anyway, thanks again for the help and Happy Thanksgiving.
Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks